How Palin CAN win

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Palin did have a legitimate point in her comments as even a broken clock is right twice a day. I originally had an open mind when it came to Sarah Palin as I was a McCain supporter in 2000. The more I discovered about her, the more I wanted to keep her away from the White House (or Blair House). I even switched who I was going to vote for based on this.

I don't think that Palin would have a chance in 2012 for the reason that she is already widely known. The best chance she had was when she was a relative unknown...and that time has since passed. BHO would have to really screw up several orders of magnitude worse than any past president to lose against Palin.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Palin did have a legitimate point in her comments as even a broken clock is right twice a day. I originally had an open mind when it came to Sarah Palin as I was a McCain supporter in 2000. The more I discovered about her, the more I wanted to keep her away from the White House (or Blair House). I even switched who I was going to vote for based on this.

Good to see.

I don't think that Palin would have a chance in 2012 for the reason that she is already widely known. The best chance she had was when she was a relative unknown...and that time has since passed. BHO would have to really screw up several orders of magnitude worse than any past president to lose against Palin.

Think about what George W. Bush + famous name + big budget campaign could do.

Almost beat a guy who was VP for 8 years when the deficit was eliminated, a guy who had played a key role in inventing the most important thing created in years.

A guy who had led a 'government efficiency commission' that had cut hundreds of thousands of federal positions (military and civilian).

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe Zebo's greatest delusion in being bullish on Palin populism, is that Palin is not going to be the only rascal trying to pull the same stunt. To start out with, more established GOP rivals like Senator Kyl and Demint, to just name two, are likely to have the same sugar plum ideas dancing in their heads. Worse yet for Palin, she is a useful GOP tool to energize the right leaning GOP voters, as long as she does not get too big of a head and actually think she is the GOP big dog, instead of just being a useful wagging tail to the larger GOP power structure.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Maybe Zebo's greatest delusion in being bullish on Palin populism, is that Palin is not going to be the only rascal trying to pull the same stunt. To start out with, more established GOP rivals like Senator Kyl and Demint, to just name two, are likely to have the same sugar plum ideas dancing in their heads. Worse yet for Palin, she is a useful GOP tool to energize the right leaning GOP voters, as long as she does not get too big of a head and actually think she is the GOP big dog, instead of just being a useful wagging tail to the larger GOP power structure.

Interesting...
+1

Last edited:

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
Sarah Palin and her Tea Party (which there a many versions) is starting to become a party of wives who aren't content any longer with being the woman behind the man. This crap about blue bloods and shaking up the good ol' boys is admittedly good stuff. Who can't get behind Republicans blooding each other up?

But she hasn't changed, she hasn't learned, and she can be bought. A vote for Palin is a vote that would hurt a person's soul. If I'm going to drink the kool-aid...I might as well jump into a pool of it and vote for Ron Paul!

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Who can't get behind Republicans blooding each other up?

Someone who isn't a liberal partisan? I want to choose between the best Republican candidate and the best Democratic candidate. Only partisans want the other side to have the worst choice possible. Just like Republicans would love it if Pelosi ran for president in 2016.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I'm pretty sure we needed another Palin thread.

Ms Clinton is the only other politician I can think of who has generated as much pre-election season attention as Ms Palin is right now.

I find it interesting that Ms Palin has been demonized almost as effectively as Ms Clinton was.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

True. There are much stronger candidates out there in 2012 such as Robert Portman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Portman) who are 100X more electable than Failin Palin.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
True. There are much stronger candidates out there in 2012 such as Robert Portman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Portman) who are 100X more electable than Failin Palin.

You are wrong. Portman, while competent, is not in a position financially nor by name recognition nor by dint of having a campaign ready to go to have the slightest chance for a successful Presidential run by 2012.

Very few people have the slightest chance of derailing Palin, should she choose to run.

The short list today is Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush, with Mitch Daniels and John Thune behind in national name recognition but contenders of a high order should they decide to run.

If Palin chooses to runs she will win both the Republican nomination and the White House.

And I am not convinced that she would be running against Obama.

In fact, I see little energy in the Democrat camp for a second Obama term unless, wag the dog, we find ourselves in a vastly more dangerous war than the ones we are engaged in currently.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
You are wrong. Portman, while competent, is not in a position financially nor by name recognition nor by dint of having a campaign ready to go to have the slightest chance for a successful Presidential run by 2012.

Very few people have the slightest chance of derailing Palin, should she choose to run.

The short list today is Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush, with Mitch Daniels and John Thune behind in national name recognition but contenders of a high order should they decide to run.

If Palin chooses to runs she will win both the Republican nomination and the White House.

And I am not convinced that she would be running against Obama.

In fact, I see little energy in the Democrat camp for a second Obama term unless, wag the dog, we find ourselves in a vastly more dangerous war than the ones we are engaged in currently.

Well there is already talk of Portman running as a VP for 2012 and he would soundly defeat Palin in a debate. He has way more experience than her and would win independents as well as Palin supporters.

Nobody gives a dam about Romney who is a born loser. Jeb Bush, no way because he's a Bush.

Portman on any ticket (Pres or VP) would increase the GOP's chances at the white house by leaps and bounds although better as VP since many don't know him like you said.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Well there is already talk of Portman running as a VP for 2012 and he would soundly defeat Palin in a debate. He has way more experience than her and would win independents as well as Palin supporters.

Nobody gives a dam about Romney who is a born loser. Jeb Bush, no way because he's a Bush.

Portman on any ticket (Pres or VP) would increase the GOP's chances at the white house by leaps and bounds although better as VP since many don't know him like you said.

I am sure Palin will consider Portman on her list of candidates for Vice President, as she will the others on my list if it comes to that.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Palin can win if and only if she stops being an idiot. A slip of the tongue is one thing, but what's the saying? Once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three is dead certain? Palin is an inarticulate moron kept around in the media for shits and giggles at the Republicans' expense; and the only ones who support her are the ultra-right-wing who agree with her values.

Much as they might like to think so, the Tea Partiers and ultra-right wing are no more the saviors of American than Obama was. And at least Obama had charisma.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Someone who isn't a liberal partisan? I want to choose between the best Republican candidate and the best Democratic candidate. Only partisans want the other side to have the worst choice possible. Just like Republicans would love it if Pelosi ran for president in 2016.

Pelosi vs Palin would make for hilarious debates though.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I agree IS, hence the caveats galore in OP. Interesting angle tho she's tossin round.

Obama is a charming man...hard to beat.

Jun 27, 2005
Palin would win against other Republicans such as Gingrinch.

Also throw in an independent run from Bloomberg and you have Palin winning easily with the Electoral College.

Remember the Popular vote means nothing.

This from the guy who said Hawaii would break for McCain against Obama.

Palin can't beat Gingrich. Or Romney. Or even Rubio if he decides to pull an Obama and run on a nothing record.

I think Obama is going to lose in '12 but it won't be to Palin.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
It want to see a Clinton, Palin face off for president. It would be awesome. Well except for the downfall of the united states part.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Didn't anandtech impose a limit on how many Sarah Palin threads can be created during a week? I suggest... one.

(damm you John mcCain!)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
That statement by Palin was truly pure genius. She's moved up the ladder tremendously by saying that.
That stupid wise and beautiful woman might have said that but she didn't think it up. Her own personal contributions are "We must stand by our North Korean Allies" and such.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010

People probably said the same about Obama 2 years before he was elected as well.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
That stupid wise and beautiful woman might have said that but she didn't think it up. Her own personal contributions are "We must stand by our North Korean Allies" and such.
OK, Alfalfa.

He-Man Women Haters Club

he-man-woman-haters-club-bw.jpg

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Hating on Palin is hating on opportunistic money grubbing whores cashing in on their looks, not hating on women. And it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much at stake for every American when she opens up her festering gob. If she looked like Madeline Albright and had the same opinions, ignorance and populist style BS you guys in the Right would hate her.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Hating on Palin is hating on opportunistic money grubbing whores cashing in on their looks, not hating on women. And it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much at stake for every American when she opens up her festering gob. If she looked like Madeline Albright and had the same opinions, ignorance and populist style BS you guys in the Right would hate her.

Just curious, have any of the right wingers you love to hate on so much ever referred to Pelosi or Boxer as "stupid cunts" in any of their criticisms of them?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Just curious, have any of the right wingers you love to hate on so much ever referred to Pelosi or Boxer as "stupid cunts" in any of their criticisms of them?

Naw and it wouldn't have the same effect if they did as nobody is as infatuated with them as the wingnuts are with Palin. It's like calling Obama, Bush or Cheney a dick, nobody cares.

Now answer me this, would Palin be so adored by the Wingnuts if she looked like Madeline Albright, hell would anyone even care what she said?

Last edited: