how old do you have to be to buy a lighter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Conflict, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Conflict

Conflict Banned

I'm only 17, but I want to buy my friend a nice Zippo for xmas, can't I buy it w/o lighter fluid? I'm in california if that matters.

2. notfred

notfred Lifer

I haven't seen a place in California that will sell a lighter to anyone under 18 in years, which I think is completely moronic. If you were in Sac'to, I'd offer to buy it for you.

3. gopunk

gopunk Lifer

eh i thought you can buy lighters at any age... i am not sure though. i was able to buy a lighter in oregon under the age of 18, for what it's worth.

4. Sluggo

Sluggo Lifer

I guess you could snag a Zippo off ebay, although its a bit late for Christmas.

I never knew there was an age limit, but it never occured to me.

5. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

when I was <18 I used to take some flak when I was trying to get a lighter.

they said it was a tobacco product (yeah, my ass [​IMG] ) and I needed to be 18.

other places didnt care though.

funny how 7-11 wouldn't sell a lighter, but they'd give you matches..

6. Conflict

Conflict Banned

Damnit, I thought I would of been done, now it's so late, I think people won't be as strict as in selling nice ones w/o lighter fluid than say going to some liquor store.

7. TrueBlueLS

TrueBlueLS Platinum Member

They've just started the whole 18 BS about buying a lighter here a couple years ago.

8. Zim Hosein

Zim Hosein Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

I never even knew you had to be a certain age to buy a lighter :Q I suppose it's true, you learn something new everyday :eek:

9. Mill

Mill Lifer

Lighters are considered tobacco paraphernalia and most states require that you be 18 to purchase them. In my state you must be 19 to purchase tobacco products or lighters. You can purchase matches though which defeats the purpose of the law. I rarely get carded anyway so I would think you would be able to get a zippo easily. The most strict places are going to be those that are in suburban areas. Stores in the bad part of town or in a more rural area are less likely to card you for a lighter. As for tobacco I would never suggest to buy it to begin with but I know that wasn't the intention of your thread.

In some states it is illegal to buy tobacco products or paraphernalia but legal to use or possess. Go figure.

10. MaxDSP

MaxDSP Lifer

this is the first time Ive heard of this also.

11. crawford

crawford Golden Member

3-4 years ago i bought lighers all the time from all kinds of different places. This was when i was like 14..... :eek:
    Havent tried or wanted to in the past few years tho.... :cool: