How often do you review your mutual funds with your account representative?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I haven't had a sit-down with my mutual funds account representative in a long long time.

I'm guessing that your account should be reviewed with the account rep at least once a year, but I may be wrong. What would be the smart thing?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I never have and I likely never will unless I have a massive life change. I know far more about my needs/wants and risk tolerance than they ever would. Plus, mutual funds aren't something you need a brain surgeon to do. Pick a diverse set of funds (diverse in location, size, buisness area, and growth potential) with low fees and rebalance about once a year. You are done.

It is just like grocery shopping. Pick a diverse set of foods, avoid the overpriced crap, and update your diet on occasion as your needs change. I don't need an expert grocery store shopper to do it for me.

The smart thing is to educate yourself fully on this issue. And then, if you need questions answered, you ask your representative the question.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard
I never have and I likely never will unless I have a massive life change. I know far more about my needs/wants and risk tolerance than they ever would. Plus, mutual funds aren't something you need a brain surgeon to do. Pick a diverse set of funds (diverse in location, size, buisness area, and growth potential) with low fees and rebalance about once a year. You are done.

The smart thing is to educate yourself fully on this issue. And then, if you need questions answered, you ask your representative the question.

Same here. Well...and the fact that my funds don't even have a representative. That's just added fund expenses that come out of my bottom dollar.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I choose my own funds and re-balance them by adding new money to the ones that need it, so never.

I did have to talk to a human last year to arrange a "tax-free interclass exchange" to move into the lower expense version of a fund, but that's only because the brokerage required it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I've only recently had enough money to "invest" and so far dont have an account representative.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
I've only recently had enough money to "invest" and so far dont have an account representative.

NO,NO,NO TallBill!
This is ATOT, you MUST be a highly esteemed, wealthy investor to post here!

Sure hope you don't get banned :laugh:

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
i tried speaking to my investment representative but all taht damn porcelain pig did was stare at me. what an asshole