How often do you get paid?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
This poll is for people on a typical payroll, not for contractors or other self-employed, etc.

Twice a month here.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Twice a month, pay periods start on the 1st and 16th. I'll typically see the money in my account between 5-10 days after the end.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I get paid twice, once a month (disability & normal work paycheck, both once a month).

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
My jobs that I've worked:
1) Rouging/Detasseling corn: paid once at the end of summer for the whole job, so you can call that once every ~2 months.
2) Arby's: paid every other week.
3) Researcher/teaching assistant at university (undergrad and grad student): paid once a month.
4) Current job as engineer (paid once a month).

I perferred Arby's method of payment, every other week. It just was best when something goes wrong. The university was well-known for missing a payment due to bad paperwork. That meant you had to go 2 months without a paycheck. That was just too much for a poor student. Also, it means you have to go 5-6 weeks of work before you get your first check.

But, virtually all bills are monthly. Rent/mortgage is monthly. Utilities are monthly. Credit cards are monthly, etc. There is no reason to need paychecks more frequently. So monthly makes the most sense.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fourier Transform
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Once a month. I hate it.

What's wrong with once a month? At my old job, I got paid once a month and it worked out great. You pay all your bills monthly anyway. Now I get paid every other week and don't like not having the same amount of money every month.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
Once a month. I hate it.

What's wrong with once a month? At my old job, I got paid once a month and it worked out great. You pay all your bills monthly anyway. Now I get paid every other week and don't like not having the same amount of money every month.

In theory it shouldn't matter as far as bills go, but for years I've been paid twice a month, so I just got used to fitting my budget around that. It's taken several months to get used to doing it this way. Add in that my wife is paid twice a month and it's just kind of annoying. Perhaps "hate" is a strong word. I just prefer twice a month.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I get paid twice a month (15th and last day of the month).
My wife gets paid every two weeks (first and third week of the month).
It works out with us getting a 2 week paycheck every week.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
Once a month. I hate it.

In theory it shouldn't matter as far as bills go, but for years I've been paid twice a month, so I just got used to fitting my budget around that. It's taken several months to get used to doing it this way. Add in that my wife is paid twice a month and it's just kind of annoying. Perhaps "hate" is a strong word. I just prefer twice a month.

Also when paid monthly you are giving them a free loan on your money. I rather be paid weekly. the sooner you get your money the sooner either your bill is paid, less intrest, and/or the sooner you can invest it.