How often do you degauss your monitor?

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Yossarian
all the time, I like the bwararararang sound it makes. in fact i'll do it again right now.

lmao....the description of the sound is hilarious. Usually when i'm bored i'll do it just to waste even more time.

boomdart

Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Yossarian
all the time, I like the bwararararang sound it makes. in fact i'll do it again right now.

I'm trying so hard right now not to LoL in class :p

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Every time its turned on, since it does it automatically. (I often turn off my monitor manually when I'm leaving, instead of wasting 20-30 thirty minutes worth of energy before it goes into power-save mode.)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
I don't think my monitor has that function, unless it's automatic.

Or an LCD.

But, yes, it's automatic on all color CRTs, including televisions. (The built-in degaussing coil is what makes that "vwoommmp" sound on many CRTs when you turn them on.)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
cool .. just did it. never knew what it did. i don't see a difference but that 1 sec gave me and LSD backlash./

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Degaussing demagnetizes the CRT shadow mask. If it becomes magnetized, it "bends" the electron beams and they hit the wrong color phosphors, which results in the image colors being off.

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I like doing it in the computer lab since it messes with all the other screens in the area :)