How off can KBB be about used motorcycle prices?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
As but one example. A 2003 Honda VTX 1800. It is supposedly immaculate. I have not seen it in person yet, but it certainly looks that way from the pictures. Like 6,000 miles as all. The guy is asking $6,400 for it.

I plug 2003 Honda VTX 1800 into Kelly Blue Book online, and it gives a price of $3,670. That is a HUGE difference. And $3,670 just seems like way too little money for such a huge beautiful bike.

This is just one example. Other bikes I look up have the same thing.

Is KBB just off? Or is that price for a pretty ragged out bike? Or are these sellers just asking way too much for their bikes?

Any better way to get an estimated market price for a bike other than KBB?

Thanks!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thank you for your comment, but I posted exactly one thread about motorcycle prices. Thank you though for bringing so much helpful information to the table!

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That's the market today. KBB has always existed as a "guide", nothing more. It just used to be more accurate.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
NutBucket (LOL), when you say "that's the market today", what do you mean in particular? Prices being higher than KBB values?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Right. KBB just can't adjust fast enough to a completely unpredictable market. But I also think for bikes in particular there is just less data to draw from so it will be inherently less accurate.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
KBB, is historicallly high on most estimate of value, except right now in the crazy covid era.

Yes, that 2003 is worth $3K6 IF that, not at all $6k4. There are rare exceptions, some bikes are treated better than gold. Recognize that if someone isn't in a hurry to sell, they can ask whatever they like and just wait to lower the price later. That often happens once riding season is over, depending on location.

What you do is not fixate on it, move on, other people are more eager to sell and you're all over the place about what you want so should just seriously consider just getting your feet wet with whatever 600cc standard or slower, opportunity you find.

Mileage and condition comes into play, but I find it absurd that you think price is based on beautiful when it is nearly 20 years old. There are a lot of things I have that are 20 years old that I can clean, wax, and take ideal pics of that make it look like new.

It's the same story as always, you need a realistic list (of what is reasonable for beginning rider) and cash on hand, then scour the local listings, not KBB, if you are very price/savings conscious.

It seems very much to me like you should just buy the first thing you see for $2K and ride it a while, have a ride or 1000 and learn and wait for the ideal bike/price to come along.

Keep in mind that you can make counter-offers.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
As but one example. A 2003 Honda VTX 1800. It is supposedly immaculate. I have not seen it in person yet, but it certainly looks that way from the pictures. Like 6,000 miles as all. The guy is asking $6,400 for it.

I plug 2003 Honda VTX 1800 into Kelly Blue Book online, and it gives a price of $3,670. That is a HUGE difference. And $3,670 just seems like way too little money for such a huge beautiful bike.

This is just one example. Other bikes I look up have the same thing.

Is KBB just off? Or is that price for a pretty ragged out bike? Or are these sellers just asking way too much for their bikes?

Any better way to get an estimated market price for a bike other than KBB?

Thanks!!!
No matter how you cut it, it's nineteen year old bike, and not a "classic".