Question how OC the ram on an asus board

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

I had a GB aorus b450m board which I easily configured for OC so the ram ran at GHz.
a month ago that mb got fried so I RMA it and got an asus prime b450m aII.
I also got a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.
no matter what I did, I didn't got the board to run at 3.2 GHz ram speed stable, it got random kernel panics or freezes.
after a while of not getting it to boot, I went to the store, complained and ended up with a asus tuf gaming b450-plus ii, connected everything and got the system up at non oced, speed.
I assume I might did something wrong in the OC process and wonder what is the right process to run my ram at 32 GHz?

Thanks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Greetings,

I had a GB aorus b450m board which I easily configured for OC so the ram ran at GHz.
a month ago that mb got fried so I RMA it and got an asus prime b450m aII.
I also got a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.
no matter what I did, I didn't got the board to run at 3.2 GHz ram speed stable, it got random kernel panics or freezes.
after a while of not getting it to boot, I went to the store, complained and ended up with a asus tuf gaming b450-plus ii, connected everything and got the system up at non oced, speed.
I assume I might did something wrong in the OC process and wonder what is the right process to run my ram at 32 GHz?

Thanks.
what ram and what speed are you looking at?

is XMP working correctly? Do you mean 3200?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
You should be able to run it at the rated speed just by enabling the XMP/DOCP profile. That's what I did for a while when I was running a 1700X. I'm still using this exact kit but I've pushed it more than the rate speed. I'm currently running it at 3533MT CL14-15-14-28, with fast sub timings, at 1.42V on my 2700X and Asus Crosshair VII Hero.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
I've bumped the ram using the mentioned above profile, ran mprime, and I'm getting this: FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
also firefox is crashing randomly.
any ideas what to tweak?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I've bumped the ram using the mentioned above profile, ran mprime, and I'm getting this: FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
also firefox is crashing randomly.
any ideas what to tweak?
you need to make sure that the ram is working correctly.

you should use Memtest86 and see if your ram is having errors.

Also update your BIOS in case they improved ram compatibility. I just checked and the newest BIOS is to improve stability.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
you need to make sure that the ram is working correctly.

you should use Memtest86 and see if your ram is having errors.

Also update your BIOS in case they improved ram compatibility. I just checked and the newest BIOS is to improve stability.
bios is at latest.
I've set the ram speed to 3GHz and it is stable, I'd assume that this is a config issue.
I think the aorus mb detects all the OC values properly while the asus one doesn't
I'll try between 3.2 and 3 but if you have any tip on what to try in order to get to 3.2, it would be helpful

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Did you increase the voltage for the SOC? That doesn't get changed when an XMP profile is applied. And is definitely necessary when you are going above 3000MT and/or tight timings. ~1.025V should be good on a 2700X.

In your BIOS it should be called "VDDCR SOC Voltage" in the AI Tweaker tab. Set it to manual and in the box that appears below that set it to 1.025V.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Wait....the SOC voltage was already set to 1.1v? If it is already 1.1, leave it there.

Boot into Windows at 3133. Download a program called "Ryzen Timing Checker", run it, take a screenshot and post it here.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Ok....

Can you use your phone or something to take a picture of your BIOS? The AI Tweaker section. Including all the sub-menus in that section. Except DRAM Timing Control. Just the first page of that sub-menu since it is very long.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What CPU are you running? Some of the early Ryzens had more trouble reaching high memory speeds.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Ok....

Can you use your phone or something to take a picture of your BIOS? The AI Tweaker section. Including all the sub-menus in that section. Except DRAM Timing Control. Just the first page of that sub-menu since it is very long.
here, https://c.gmx.com/@562924463562169039/vROo4NWTRgOX6gS3AjaEaw I've took pics of everything in 3200
What CPU are you running? Some of the early Ryzens had more trouble reaching high memory speeds.
2700X, not sure which revision. however with my old mb (aorus b450m) all worked ok

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Hmmmm. First, I am assuming you are on the latest BIOS. If so, try manually setting the command rate to 2T. Everything else looks good.

If setting the command rate to 2T doesn't work, set it back to 1T/auto and try running this test with only two sticks of RAM. I am curious if it is the memory sticks of the IMC that is the problem.

Reactions: Shmee

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Hmmmm. First, I am assuming you are on the latest BIOS. If so, try manually setting the command rate to 2T. Everything else looks good.

If setting the command rate to 2T doesn't work, set it back to 1T/auto and try running this test with only two sticks of RAM. I am curious if it is the memory sticks of the IMC that is the problem.
same behavior :/
I guess ram bisection is the only choice left

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

took me sometime to get to preform ram bisection but I've got around to it.
first off, after expressing my genral dissatisfaction from the asus prime b450m (which is a nice board but imho it was lower in quality, performence and price wise im comparisation to the previous board), the store agreed to replace it with TUF GAMING B450M-PLUS II

now I ran the following tests:
1. each stick in slot B2 (like the manual recommends)
2. 2 stick in slots A2 and B2 (like the manual recommends)
3. all 4 sticks.

all tests were prefromed by running mprime -m and selecting test #3 (for ram and memory conrtollers) in a ubuntu 21.04 live cd.
test #1 ran atleast 10 mintues on each stick without a problem.
test #2 ran atleast 30 mintues on each stick without a problem.
test #3 produced an error instantly.
I think my issue is a 3-4 years old Antec 550W 80+ Gold EA550G Pro which might not have enough juice to power up all the hw.

reminder, my system comprises of the following hw: X2700 at performence mode, 4xF4-3200C14-8GFX, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 6 7200 sata drives, noctua hsf, 4 case fans

is there any logic in my conclusion?

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Since you tested the DIMMs individually in each slot and had no errors, we can conclude that they are fine at tested speeds. However, when all 4 DIMMs are installed, you get errors. This IMO points to the IMC not being able to handle the load of additional DIMMs at high speeds. I doubt it is the PSU, as the difference in power used by different amounts of RAM is very little.

What I would do would be to run 4 sticks at lower speeds that are stable, or you could try tweaking IMC settings, such as applying more VSoC, but I wouldn't go much higher than 1.1V. Alternatively, you could get a Zen 2 or Zen 3 chip, as they have the newer, more capable memory controllers. This is assuming your board supports that CPU upgrade.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
as mentioned above, I was able to run it stable at 3066, above that it breaks, no matter what I do, I tried messing with the voltage, no dice.
replacing the cpu it not an option.

so bottom line, asus's mb are inferior to gigabyte's ones