How not to fry a turkey

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
LOL I love how the guy is explaining the science behind it and then actually thinks he is frying the turkey when the whole grill is engulfed in flames.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
lmao.

His method probably would have worked just fine - if he didn't run the oil over the sides & if he could control the temperature a little better.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I like the fact that the flames started up when he had about 1/4 the turkey in. Take it out and let the flames subside to rethink this? Nah, go balls deep and just drop it in. F it.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
lmao.

His method probably would have worked just fine - if he didn't run the oil over the sides & if he could control the temperature a little better.

I don't have a turkey fryer, my neighbor does and he turns off the propane while dropping the turkey then re-starts the flame once things have settled down. That important part is not possible if your using a bed of coals to heat the oil!

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
oops.JPG

lol priceless look on his face

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
First problem: too much oil
Second problem: not regulation on temp
Third problem: Darwin didn't take over.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
He apparently didn't:

1) put the turkey in the pot with some water to see how much it displaces.
2) regulate temp
3) think

Lord, i hope this doesn't happen at my place today.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Heating oil without regulation AND monitoring is extremely dangerous. Once it passes its ignition point you have a potentially life threatening situation! Even in the kitchen with a pan filled with oil - is dangerous.

I've seen overheated oil flash spontaneously, quenched and an HOUR later still hot enough to go POW! and flash yet again when the cover is lifted. Too bad many learn the hard (and painful!) way!

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The oil was so hot moisture on the turkey turned instantly into steam spreading the oil around it all over the place. Add the flame bellow the pot and you have an instant oil fire.

Only Americans fry their turkeys this way.

I don't know any Canadians who would be this stupid.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
In reference to my last post, some Canadians are stupid tho. The boyfriend of my grand daughter's mom decided to cook some fries last week. He put a pot of oil on the stove and went out for a smoke. He then came back in the house and forgot about the oil on the stove.

Guess what!
The friking house burnt down along with all their properties and a few of their pets. Thank god everybody got out and the grand daughter was here wit us.

Picture
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Number1/IMG_3571.JPG

So I was wrong, we do have our fair share of morons.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
In reference to my last post, some Canadians are stupid tho. The boyfriend of my grand daughter's mom decided to cook some fries last week. He put a pot of oil on the stove and went out for a smoke. He then came back in the house and forgot about the oil on the stove.

Guess what!
The friking house burnt down along with all their properties and a few of their pets. Thank god everybody got out and the grand daughter was here wit us.

Picture
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Number1/IMG_3571.JPG

So I was wrong, we do have our fair share of morons.

Do they used dumbwater to fight their fires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-PoetFwUg&

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The oil was so hot moisture on the turkey turned instantly into steam spreading the oil around it all over the place. Add the flame bellow the pot and you have an instant oil fire.

No, only this one moronic American was too cheap and that stupid to use a bed of coals to heat up the oil, if it's done carefully (and always outside) frying can be safe..

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

You're right, there are no dumb Canadians :roll;