How much would it cost to install dishwasher plumbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Let's say you wanted someone to come to your house, cut the section out from your counter, install the electric and plumbing for a dishwasher, and then install the dishwasher itself.

How much would something like that cost, on average, assuming that you already had the dishwasher?

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Too many variables. Especially the " cut the section out from your counter" part. I assume you mean cabinets, right?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
the plumbing is actually easy. You just run a metal flex line from your sink lines at the valve, and then a plastice flex hose to the drain line/food disposal. It's the electric that might be an issue because you usually don't have a line under the sink and cabinets, so the electrician is going to have to have to find a close enough line to run off of and then install a switch on the wall.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
the plumbing is actually easy. You just run a metal flex line from your sink lines at the valve, and then a plastice flex hose to the drain line/food disposal. It's the electric that might be an issue because you usually don't have a line under the sink and cabinets, so the electrician is going to have to have to find a close enough line to run off of and then install a switch on the wall.

This but there is no wall switch needed for the dishwasher. The plumbing is generally really easy it's going next to the sink. The electrical is dependent on the current wiring in your house. The casework is dependent on the cabinets that you have how good you want it to look. For example, I have 18" wide cabinets and I'm lazy so I got an 18" wide dishwasher and there was already an outlet nearby for the electronics on the stove so it was cake.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
This but there is no wall switch needed for the dishwasher. The plumbing is generally really easy it's going next to the sink. The electrical is dependent on the current wiring in your house. The casework is dependent on the cabinets that you have how good you want it to look. For example, I have 18" wide cabinets and I'm lazy so I got an 18" wide dishwasher and there was already an outlet nearby for the electronics on the stove so it was cake.

So they can just run a line to the nearest outlet? I read somewhere online that they said the dishwasher would require it's own 15A line; not sure if that's true or false.

I'm debating whether the cost is worth it to get a built in dishwasher versus buying a portable dishwasher and then buying another dishwasher a few years down the line. On a positive note, the portable dishwasher adds some countertop space, on the downside wheeling it over to the sink every time I want to use it will be a pain and being forced to sell it at a loss later on means that I'd be flushing money down the toilet.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
The dishwasher doesn't need its own electricity unless it has a built in heater. My last 3 dishwashers have just had a cord run back to a power outlet under the sink.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My guess is like 300-500 bucks. It cost me about 200 just to get a hose bib installed and the plumbing was already there. I had installed the previous one myself but it blew up, so I decided I should leave that to a pro given -50 temps and water is involved.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I did it in my house a few months back, installing a dishwasher where there was none before... I think it ran about $600 for the plumbing/electrical/carpentry work.

knock out the cabinet next to the sink
run plumbing/electrical
install the dishwasher

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I'm actually just doing two new 30 inch cabinets, one with a sink. I ripped out all the old plumbing and relocated this sink... bought all the fittings, I have all the tools, even the router to trim the end caps, I got a torch to solder copper pipes, replacing them with pex. It's actually all quite easy with the help of you tube videos.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Is this a cabinet that needs to be removed, one that needs to be split and modified, or one large one to be removed and replaced with a new smaller store bought cabinet to allow space for the dishwasher? $ or $$ or $$$

Electric shouldn't be more than $100-$200.

Do you have a garbage disposal with an access for dishwasher drain? If so, plumbing should be done yourself or it'll cost at least $150, but if they have to cut into the drain pipe (assuming pvc) maybe another $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.