how much would i have to pay u to rent ur garage?...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
i go to a school where parking is like $600 a semester. i have seen ads for people renting out garages or parking spaces at apartments that they dont use. sorry, cant remember any prices, but i can tell you that people do do this sort of thing. good luck....

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Buy a POS. Rent a garage storage, then drive the POS to your real house.

PremiumG

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tokamak
i go to a school where parking is like $600 a semester. i have seen ads for people renting out garages or parking spaces at apartments that they dont use. sorry, cant remember any prices, but i can tell you that people do do this sort of thing. good luck....

thanks for ur reply, it makes me feel better bout asking complete strangers to rent their garage so i think imma go do it.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: PremiumG

thanks for ur reply, it makes me feel better bout asking complete strangers to rent their garage so i think imma go do it.

aiii even if it's a complete stranger they still can't get into your APARTMENT - you know, keys to get into the building and through every other door... keys to get into the apartment itself.

if you're like my parents you leave the garage door that leads into the house unlocked a good part of the day.

i wouldn't rent out my garage unless i REALLY knew you well and didn't mind having half of the garage taken up by another car.

i personally am renting a parking space in my APARTMENT building but i live in this building and the guy wasn't using the space anyways. but i have full access into this building, which a random stranger would not have.

CClyph

Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Blieb
It sounds like you're over reacting. Where will you park it when you go to school, work, the grocery store?

Stop being silly.

[/end rant]

Yeah seriously, wouldn't parking at your apartment be the least of your worries? It would be right outside of your bedroom window right? Get one of those alarm systems that make noise when your car is broken into, and maybe even a two-way paging alarm system. That way you'll always be ready to run out w/ a baseball bat. It'll be alot cheaper than monthly payments on some stranger's garage. By your logic, you should be looking at 3 or 4 garages: one at the apartment, one at school, one at work, and one at the grocery store.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
religiously use/remove removable cd face plate and keep it under a dust/dirt cover.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Not a very bad idea, but kind of not very possible. Although you could try this. Your car is waaayyy too nice to be left at someone's discretion in their garage. Especially if it's a bunch of college students or young people. Do this, find an old couple who owns a house in your viccinity, try to talk to them. In exchange, you will clean out their garage and mow the lawn. How does that sound?

007bond

May 11, 2002
car aint that special.... but its my first nice car and i'm gonna baby her like crazy...

2004 BMW 330CI

Not that special? Spoiled much?

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999

you should try to find a bulletin board where people post this sort of thing. at my school, in the student union, theres a huge bulletin board that's basically an entire wall - people post things for sale, roommates wanted, apartments for lease, etc. try to find something like that, thats probably your best bet. also, maybe try an ad in the classifieds of the school newspaper.

btw, dont listen to the people here that think youre crazy for wanting to do this. you have a nice car and you want to have some piece of mind about where its parked. to me, thats totally rational and understandable.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr
Rent a self-storage compartment big enough for your car - about $30 a month. Problem solved.

odds of getting one closed to the place of living? extremely not likely.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
car aint that special.... but its my first nice car and i'm gonna baby her like crazy...

2004 BMW 330CI

As you'll see in countless other "My parents bought me X" threads, the "car ain't that special" comment got an eyeroll from me. Granted, I imagine you meant it a tad differently than the way I took it, but...

Here's a likely flame-proof translation: ;)

My parents bought me a car and I definitely want to take care of it. A 2004... I'm a bit stunned.

Anal, over-the-top, semi-flame-proof translation:

Oh my god! I am so lucky to have parents that would buy me a 2004 car! I want to do the right thing and protect it.

My vote is sell the car (if it's in your name), buy some extremely reliable, quality vehicle and invest the balance. :)

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
i think the answer is obvious

sleep in the car

a 2004 BMW 330 Ci is nothing special man you are crazy

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
just park it at your damn apartment and get a half decent alarm, nobody's gonna steal it

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
It amazes me that you don't consider a new 330ci special.
You are absolutely out of touch with reality. Park it in the street and don't worry about it, its not like you are paying for it or the insurance anyway. Spoiled.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001

2004 BMW 330CI
check at a realtor,;for a garage for storage

? well,Isn't that special,"Church ladies voice"

]

:( My first car was a 10 year old pickup,and then 4 months later,an 11 year old car.

Oh and i paid for them with money i earned myself.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
That would be weird. I'd be scared you wanted to break into my car and steal my crap. If you were a hot blonde, I might think twice.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
you all jealous!!!!
hehe nice car. get a decent alarm, and a car cover. u'll be fine. ;)

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
You'd really spend $70 a month to rent a garage? Why not just get a lojack system installed?

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003

My vote is sell the car (if it's in your name), buy some extremely reliable, quality vehicle and invest the balance. :)

uhhh.....maybe it's just my opinion, but cars don't get much more reliable than BMWs.