How much weight can you lose by jogging?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Skoorb,

Yes there are differences in calories burned, but they are small.

The difference between walking a mile and a 6 minute mile which most people cannot run is 30%.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I still don't "buy" it. Go swim "vigorously" as the link said for 30 minutes, and then go play full basketball for 30 minutes and see which one kills you more. There are other factors that come into play.

I don't think it's something that a simple formula can calculate.

Example: I can run 8 miles in an hour (8 MPH running pace)
Calories burned: 1,224

In turn, it would take me 2 hours of 4MPH walking pace to cover the same distance.
Calories burned: 936

How many people can actually commit 2 hours of walking time a day? When you figure in the workout you get vs. the time spent, you cannot compare running to walking.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
vi_edit,

We can argue time, or we can calories burned/mile.

Running without a doubt allows you burn more calories in a given time.
But it does not change the fact that walking will allow you to burn about the same amount of calories over the same distance traveled.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also, you say "it's only a 30%" difference. I gues to me, that is pretty significant considering how hard it is to burn calories in the first place. When I have to bust my ass to burn off a 250 calorie snicker bar, I want to get it done as quick as possible.

Also, the whole point of exercising isn't soley to burn calories.

Other advantages include increased respiratory functionality, increased metabolism, increased muscle performance, ect. You cannot deny that increased intensity helps improve these other important side effects of exercise as well.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
vi_edit,

I cant disagree with anything in the last statement.

I run because it burned the most amount of calories in the least amount of time and has the other benefits you listed.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This morning I got out and ran 6.5 miles in one hour and 15 minutes.

Is this your first time running? or do you run regularly? Because that is absolutely amazing if you're not a regular runner.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
It's not my first time running. I had run for 2 months every day, only 1-2 miles per day though. This week I decide to do something more significiant.

Based on my calculation, if I can lose 40 pounds, it will save $40-50 a year in gas(I spend $250 in gas monthly). :)