How much should I expect to pay for ingrown toenail removal surgery?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If you have health insurance, they can count it as surgery instead of the lower grade treatment it really is and get all fees and copays waived. I've had it, and more complicated open foot variants of it done at least a dozen times :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: acemcmac
If you have health insurance, they can count it as surgery instead of the lower grade treatment it really is and get all fees and copays waived. I've had it, and more complicated open foot variants of it done at least a dozen times :)

I've tried it myself and I don't have insurance yet.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
My toe-nail had calmed down after my first doctor's visit. Then I was antagonizing a girl in class and she kicked my foot, nailing my poor toenail.

Now it's purple. I'm going to need to get it removed, as it hurts pretty badly. What should I expect to pay for that? I want to make sure I don't get ripped off when I go to the doctor.

if you have decent insurance only your co-pay - 10-20 bucks is what you should pay.

-edit- and if you get them frequently go to a pediatrist. He'll burn away the toenail roots at the side of the nail bed preventing you from EVER having these horrid things again.

<---has them frequently and it sucks. Ped doc take care of them.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
My toe-nail had calmed down after my first doctor's visit. Then I was antagonizing a girl in class and she kicked my foot, nailing my poor toenail.

Now it's purple. I'm going to need to get it removed, as it hurts pretty badly. What should I expect to pay for that? I want to make sure I don't get ripped off when I go to the doctor.

if you have decent insurance only your co-pay - 10-20 bucks is what you should pay.

-edit- and if you get them frequently go to a pediatrist. He'll burn away the toenail roots at the side of the nail bed preventing you from EVER having these horrid things again.

When my insurance kicks in, I'm there. My supervisor had the same problem that I do.

ctcsoft

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003

I had one REALLY bad one time and I didn't have insurance at the time since I was in between jobs. It was really bad and pussy and painful so I had to get it fixed.

The doctor charged me $800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually he first charged me $1300 but we ended up agreeing on $800 but still!!!!!!!

He numbed it and cut it out down the side. Then he injected this chemical which keeps the nail from growing back in that spot. It wasn't too painful until after the numbness wore off but even then it only hurt a little bit to walk around.

If it wasn't so bad and I could've put it off then I would have but it was seriously some of the worst pain I've had..

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

When my insurance kicks in, I'm there. My supervisor had the same problem that I do.

Just be careful about messing with them yourself. The can get VERY infected.

I once had my big toenail needed to be removed because I worked on an ingrown toenail - got infected.

puss, pain, antibiotics and couldn't walk for a week.

gnarly.

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
i had insurance to get mine removed, but i did look at the bill. i think the total came to $95.

CyraKrin

Dec 25, 2003
I cut the skin on my big toe all the way from the groove to the top of the toe (along the line the nail folds down and into your skin on the sides) and let it grow out and around it.. man.. it was atleast 3cm digging into the front of my toe.. it just *popped* out as soon as I made the cut.. I dont recommend it.. but it could help out..

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
It was really bad and pussy and painful so I had to get it fixed.

:Q

I had one like that and let it go until one day after getting seawater in it, it swelled to the point where I could not walk.

I went to the E-room and the nurse practically passed out. They took radiographs and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. The great toe bone was severely infected with osteomyelitis and they told me that I could lose the toe!

Luckily I only lost a few mm of the bone. They had to split the top of the great toe and saw out the infected bone. It was sore for a few weeks, the nailbed was completely removed and the toe looks funny but at least I didn't lose the toe and don't have to worry about it affecting my gait.

Moral of the story: get it taken care of before it takes care of you! :p

Cheers!

ucjffj

Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I know how you feel man. I "didn't have time" to go see the doc when I had the worst ingrown nail ever for me. I suffered for a week and my toe was on the verge of serious infection. Finally my wife forced me to go, my PCP sent me over to the podiatrist the same day.

And I also know how it feels to have no insurance. My wife had to have a full hysterectomy while we were uninsured. She had it done back in Apr. 2001, we just got done paying off the last of those bills earlier this year. Get your insurance ASAP, your next medical problem might not be as inocuous as an ingrown nail.

wow, out of pocket. how much did it end up costing?

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sharkeeper
It was really bad and pussy and painful so I had to get it fixed.

:Q

I had one like that and let it go until one day after getting seawater in it, it swelled to the point where I could not walk.

I went to the E-room and the nurse practically passed out. They took radiographs and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. The great toe bone was severely infected with osteomyelitis and they told me that I could lose the toe!

Luckily I only lost a few mm of the bone. They had to split the top of the great toe and saw out the infected bone. It was sore for a few weeks, the nailbed was completely removed and the toe looks funny but at least I didn't lose the toe and don't have to worry about it affecting my gait.

Moral of the story: Own it before it OWNZ you! :p

Cheers!
fixed.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
dude if you don't have insurnace just do it your self its not a big deal. take some small sisors (forget what thier called. and just cut it yes it may hurt like a bitch to do it but I rather it hurt than be stuck with a 200+ dollar bill. worse case senerio it gets infected and you need to get some penecillen (which is cheap)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
dude if you don't have insurnace just do it your self its not a big deal. take some small sisors (forget what thier called. and just cut it yes it may hurt like a bitch to do it but I rather it hurt than be stuck with a 200+ dollar bill. worse case senerio it gets infected and you need to get some penecillen (which is cheap)

you don know people have died from ingrown toenails right? Funky stuff down there, gets into the blood stream and you die of massive infection.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003

you don know people have died from ingrown toenails right? Funky stuff down there, gets into the blood stream and you die of massive infection.

true but what does a doc do besides num it that any different. I mean as long as you sterilze the sisors you should be fine and soak in hydrogen peroxide till its healed. I did this the first 3 times my big toes in grew but since it kept reocuring I ended up having to go in to have the buds on the sides killed, which took two times to get them to stop growing. thankfully I had insurance at the time but if I didn't I would of continued fixing it myself until I did have insurance

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
true but what does a doc do besides num it that any different. I mean as long as you sterilze the sisors you should be fine and soak in hydrogen peroxide till its healed. I did this the first 3 times my big toes in grew but since it kept reocuring I ended up having to go in to have the buds on the sides killed, which took two times to get them to stop growing. thankfully I had insurance at the time but if I didn't I would of continued fixing it myself until I did have insurance
Like I said, I've tried that. This is a more advanced nail problem that's beyond my skill level.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Seriously get this taken care of quickly. My mother works for a podiatrist (shes his assistant and Xray tech) and you would be suprised how many times theve had to amputate(sp?) someones toe cause the infection got to the bone and it can life threating.

Ive had a few done, 2 by docs, 2 by myself. Best do it yourself way is to use small scissors cut the edge off that is causing the pain and use tweezers to yank it out and dig inside the wound to make sure no fragments of nail is left behind. Just use a mouth peice or towel to bit down on, its not too bad once your in there doing it.

Kao

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i HATE ingrown toenails. I get them all the times on my little toe.

though my little toes are messed up. both of them have 2 toenails (could be one. but its split down themiddle and grows funny). i also get ingrown toenails every 6 months or so. I just yank it out and clean it. after all the times i have had it done it does not hurt when i pull it out.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
what exactly is an ingrown toenail?

Boy did I wish I knew before I got one...

This is something they should teach in health class to kids. They learn about STDs, but not something they could actually get in the near future.

I cut a nail on one of my big toes incorrectly with a knife and this happened. You have to trim straight across. It got infected and I didn't know wtf it was, but eventually my mom saw it.