How much ram are you using with Crysis?

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I have 2gb installed but thinking of picking up another 2gb? Will it make a difference? I read an article somewhere (I think it was gamespot) which said that there was no difference going from 2gb to 3gb.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
When I monitored it, I rarely kicked over 1.2 GB ... everything on high, 1680x1050, no AA.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yeah, Dont bother, her pc has 2gb and mine has 4gb and there is no performance difference in Crysis.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: bigrash
I have 2gb installed but thinking of picking up another 2gb? Will it make a difference? I read an article somewhere (I think it was gamespot) which said that there was no difference going from 2gb to 3gb.

What makes you think your framerate will improve just by adding more RAM?

Aug 9, 2007
For me normal level loading times with 4GB (3.2Gb useable under XP 32bit) are something like 19-29 sec. That's pretty fast for all the stuff and huge levels the game loads. The memory footprint hovers around 900MB so it seems they built the game with 1GB XP machines in mind. I once mowed down a whole forest and watched the memory usage. It went up to 908MB after 50 trees were down (the game has to keep all the new tree chunks in memory).
I think 2 GB under XP should be enough, under Vista with lot's of tools cluttering memory it could get tight.
(A slim XP has a memory footprint of 100MB.
A slim Vista has a memory footprint of 500MB)

ScrewFace

Banned
Sep 21, 2002
I thinking of upgrading to Windows XP Pro 64-bit and using 8 GB of RAM. Do you think that amount would be enough?:)

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
2gb is more than plenty for crysis generally speaking. the rec ram i think is only 1.5gb in vista too.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: ScrewFace
I thinking of upgrading to Windows XP Pro 64-bit and using 8 GB of RAM. Do you think that amount would be enough?:)

The RAM would be enough, but dear god stay away from XP 64. Vista 64 is what you want, no doubt.

sandman9

Sep 12, 2007
I've been reading through a lot of fora regarding the 2GB vs 4GB issue in Crysis and these are a few impressions I have received(Plzz correct me if I am wrong ) :-
1. Anything over 2GB RAM will NOT help in framerates if one is using Win XP(32 or 64) or Win Vista 32 bit.
2. 4GB RAM in Vista 64 bit. Now, this is the controversial one. Many Vista 64 bit users report SLIGHT increase in framerates using 4GB RAM......but an equal number report NO increase in framerates !
3. What nearly all the Vista 64 bit users agree on is that having 4GB RAM, while not necessarily increasing framerates, almost definitely increase the SMOOTHNESS and loading times.
What this SMOOTHNESS actually means is that while the MAX FPS does not increase, the Minimum FPS DOES, especially in scenes involving heavy firefights....... a lot of textures are loaded into Memory and naturally, the more Memory you have more the textures can be stored in the faster RAM memory and so there is less(if any) usage of the slow swap file of the Hard Disk and so less stuttering in the Game.
In summary, Max FPS will depend upon the capabilities of your GPU...... the faster the better.
Min FPS using 4GB RAM will (or should) increase in heavily graphical-intensive situations, over 2GB.
Mind, I'm not saying that Min FPS will ALWAYS increase, but only in certain situations. So, simply doing Benchmarks may or may not show this increase in Minimum FPS....... but it certainly will improve the smoothness of the Gameplay, which is all that matters in this game I think.
Of course, 4GB RAM will make the System more future-proof.
Of course, all this is only for Vista 64bit.
Just my 2 cents :)

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
min fps doesn't increase because you have more ram. If the game requires more than what you have you will get hard drive thrashing effect.

sandman9

Sep 12, 2007
If the game requires more than what you have you will get hard drive thrashing effect.
Hence the stuttering and lack of smoothness people with 2GB RAM complain about, especially in heavy firefights ! Exactly my point ! Vista 64 bit users with 4GB RAM may get low fps in Crysis , but I am yet to come across a Vista 64bit user with 4 GB RAM who complained of "hard drive thrashing effect" :)

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I found my XP system to peak 2GB. The game may not use more than 1.2GB, but Windows and all your other apps use RAM as well, so I found a benefit to having 4GB. Yes, the additional RAM doesn't improve your max fps, it just keeps the bottom from dropping out when you run out of memory.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: sandman9
If the game requires more than what you have you will get hard drive thrashing effect.
Hence the stuttering and lack of smoothness people with 2GB RAM complain about, especially in heavy firefights ! Exactly my point ! Vista 64 bit users with 4GB RAM may get low fps in Crysis , but I am yet to come across a Vista 64bit user with 4 GB RAM who complained of "hard drive thrashing effect" :)

Not when Crysis runs fine on 2 gigs whether it be vista 64 or 32.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
My total memory usage was 1.2-1.5 GB on WinXP while Crysis was running. Another 1GB will not help. 2GB is plenty for this game.

sandman9

Sep 12, 2007
Originally posted by: JBT
My total memory usage was 1.2-1.5 GB on WinXP while Crysis was running. Another 1GB will not help. 2GB is plenty for this game.
We're talking about Win Vista 64 bit......I never claimed that Crysis used more than 2GB RAM in Win XP. Did you bother to read the post at all??:roll:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So far I haven't seen the game exceed 1 GB according to the HUD stats, which is kind of surprising. Maybe the early levels are leaner or something.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Yeah, it won't use more than that unless you crank the settings. In the demo I saw the 64bit executable use about 1.4GB at max settings, while 32bit topped out around 1.1GB, but in the full version 64bit doesn't use any more than 32bit, so it would take a really bloated system to get anything out of more than 2GB of RAM when playing Crysis. The only difference at all would likely be having your desktop come back quicker when atl+tabing or quilting out of the game, instead of needing time to reload all the dormant stuff cached on disk.

Regardless, even if you were only using say 1.5GB of ram and the game and active processes needed more than that; the difference wouldn't one of the framerate in the middle of a fire fight, but rather only when a bunch of new stuff needs to load in like for a new section of the map or a cut scene.

Personally, I do run 4GB, but I game on HTPC and Vista's Media Center adds a lot of bloat. Even then 2GB was fine in game for every game I played though, but the extra 2GB only cost me $55 and I aprecate having my desktop right there when I alt-tab or quit out of a memory heavy game.