How much have you given total to your VPN?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Meh, they're probably all run by the NSA. #trustnoone :sneaky:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
uh... maybe $150 or so over the last several years? But that's because it's not a vpn but a vps which I happen to have a vpn running on as one of the several things I do on it.

But then again I don't use it to be anonymous at the far endpoint either. I use it to secure communications at the local connection when absolutely needed because I'm not paranoid about the NSA seeing which youtube cat clip I'm watching today.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
uh... maybe $150 or so over the last several years? But that's because it's not a vpn but a vps which I happen to have a vpn running on as one of the several things I do on it.

But then again I don't use it to be anonymous at the far endpoint either. I use it to secure communications at the local connection when absolutely needed because I'm not paranoid about the NSA seeing which youtube cat clip I'm watching today.

I mainly use mine for getting around region blocks, the internet should be open regardless of your country.

Anyone using a VPN to attempt to avoid the NSA is kinda stupid.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not sure why I would ever need one. :hmm:

KT

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
about the same, i've got a VPS running strongswan for $5 but it does other stuff for me too....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I keep thinking I should get a VPN but have not done it yet. I'll probably get a VPS in like Russia or something. Or heck some place like Syria. Basically you want to pick a country that's not really in good terms with the US so they are less likely to help hand over any information or aid in spying.

You're never going to stop them from spying as they can crack any encryption, but you can at least make it harder on them by using encryption.

jumpncrash

Feb 11, 2010
no dollars, but I' m currently paying for a fancy VPS that is supposed to eventually serve as a VPN

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You're never going to stop them from spying as they can crack any encryption, but you can at least make it harder on them by using encryption.

If that were true was is Apple being sought after for that San Bernardino terrorist's phone?

I know for a fact the FBI can't even crack a full disk encrypted computer as well. At least in this case it was Truecrypt. So I'm not sure about other propitiatory encryption software.

A lot of FDE uses AES 256 and so does VPN's. I use ECC on port 443 though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The whole apple thing is mostly a big show, they know there's probably nothing significant on that phone, but if they manage to get apple to hand over the keys then it will make their job easier in future cases as it still takes lot of effort on their part to decrypt stuff. They have to use up time on the quantum supercomputers and what not and those are probably always booked solid by all the various law agencies and probably cost a lot to run at high capacity.