How much does it cost to close a hernia?

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
One in the groin area? And what kind of doctor should I look up or should I just call a hospital?

edit: how much does it cost to fix a hernia

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: miri
One in the groin area? And what kind of doctor should I look up or should I just call a hospital?

I should hook you up with my friend Boris Yakovovich, he runs an inexpensive hernia salon in NYC... $1.50, cheap!

FLWRHART

Dec 5, 2005
dont you have insurance.
usually you would go to your general practioner and then he/she will refer you to a specislist

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
I don't think you'd remove a hernia...ya close it?

someone confirm!

Yep. tuck all the goodies back in and sew it up.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: FLWRHART
dont you have insurance.
usually you would go to your general practioner and then he/she will refer you to a specislist

no insurance, thats why I was trying to get a ballpark estimate. I was wondering if I should just make a general appointment at a hospital or look up a certain type of doctor.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hope you have health insurance because ANY type of surgery with general anesthesia (sp) is gonna cost you some money.

FWIW my 6 month old has his hernia surgery on Monday. :(

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I had one circa 1986. I couldn't tell you the price, though, because I was 3 years old.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Anyone have a ballpark figure? I have about $5,000 available on my credit card, just wondering if this would cover it.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
I don't think you'd remove a hernia...ya close it?

someone confirm!

Correct, he is probably thinking of appendix.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
if its an hernia in your groin, then they do the patching. I dunno what they do if its a herniated disk. Anytime where something is where it shouldnt be, its basically called a hernia if i recall correctly.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Yeha, if it's in your groin you shove it back in, and put a patch over it to keep it inside. Any general surgeon should be able to do it. Im not sure what the cost would be out of pocket, medical fees are done very ridiculously, since pretty much no one pays out of pocket.

For instance, lets say three people with Insurance A, get procedure X. I can charge person 1 $8947584, person 2 $37463, and person 3 $4563875 and what I actually get is determined by what Insurance company A thinks is right for procedure X, regardless of what it says on the bill. The only one who gets stuck paying the bill for full price, is the guy without insurance.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Go to a teaching/university hospital, claim amnesia, and try to get it done as an indigant.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Lol get that fix before some segment of your intestines will loose blood, and ending up as dead tissue. GL ...

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: RKS
Go to a teaching/university hospital, claim amnesia, and try to get it done as an indigant.

well i am poor, $15000 dollars left to pay back for finishing school.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

miri, RKS is on to something, minus the "amnesia" part. Since you don't have insurance, seek out a medical uni/college where you will pay a siginificant discounted rate on a hernia procedure. Just be warned, that going this route will not be quick, but it will save some $.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

miri, RKS is on to something, minus the "amnesia" part. Since you don't have insurance, seek out a medical uni/college where you will pay a siginificant discounted rate on a hernia procedure. Just be warned, that going this route will not be quick, but it will save some $.

good idea, I live in Richmond so the Medical College of Virginia is here. I graduated from Virginia commonwealth university which is affliated but I dont think that will do me any good.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: miri
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

good idea, I live in Richmond so the Medical College of Virginia is here. I graduated from Virginia commonwealth university which is affliated but I dont think that will do me any good.

The "affiliation" won't matter per say, it depends on how the faculity and admins show preference, but start the process ASAP IMO :)