How much do you think this would cost?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
What exactly would this kind of thing be useful for?

How sharp can things get/how sharp do they need to be?

I feel like this isn't the same as vga --> xga etc...

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Some time ago I was evaluating display options for us for very high resolutions and this was one of them: http://www.radiforce.com/en/products/col-ls560w.html
Uuuh Eizo, advertised for medical applications.. I assume we all don't want to know the price of it, right? And all in all that'd be too big for my desktop and 0.324mm dot pitch isn't that great.. though considering that most >30" panels are for TVs (and therefore 1920x1080) it's much, much better.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
There would be no point in having that high a resolution.

The iPhone needs a high pixel density because you hold the screen very close to you face. But you wouldn't sit very close to your 30 inch monitor, so your eyes literally wouldn't be able to distinguish as much detail.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
There's plenty of point! Some of use have really good peepers!

One of my favorite displays is the Sharp panel on my ancient Dell XPS notebook - 1920x1200, 15.4".

I tried a 40" HDTV and yuck! Great for movies or games even but text was too coarse. Reminded me of an ancient VGA color monitor with a .55 dot pitch! :rolleyes:

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
There would be no point in having that high a resolution.
Maybe that's just me, but I interpreted the thread so, that we'd want a IPS panel with a pixel density comparable to the iPhone but obviously for the usual range you look at a desktop LCD. After all the definition for "retina display" would be something like "can't distinguish pixels at normal viewing range" and that's something that'd be great.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Maybe that's just me, but I interpreted the thread so, that we'd want a IPS panel with a pixel density comparable to the iPhone but obviously for the usual range you look at a desktop LCD. After all the definition for "retina display" would be something like "can't distinguish pixels at normal viewing range" and that's something that'd be great.

I cannot distinguish a pixel at normal viewing range (~2 ft) on any of my monitors (U2311, U2410, U2711 etc) and though I wear glasses I can see 20/20 up close (to 10-20 yards then contours start to get blurry.)