How much do you pay for your T1's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
wimax is still concept, far from reality :)

Also, I probably wouldn't trust my entire enterprise to be running off wimax compared with local line. Not yet, at least.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Paying for all the segments on a cross country dedicated T1 can reach 50k a month for some organizations.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: d3n
Paying for all the segments on a cross country dedicated T1 can reach 50k a month for some organizations.

they're getting ripped off then.

I can get a T1 from new york to cali for under 2K a month.

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
Originally posted by: user1234
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
Originally posted by: user1234
you could always compress your data using bz2 format to save bandwidth. Unfortunately most people just throw more money (=bandwidth/hardware) at the problem.

can you show me how to do that with 3rd party banking software that generates about 8 gigs of data per day that needs to be mirrored live?

if you can you're hired! ;)

If you're using SSH, you can turn on compression (it's off by default). This would be useful for protocols which are built on top of ssh, like sftp and scp, but most other protocols can be configured to use ssh tunneling as well.

again, how do you tell the federal reserve bank and our third party banking software to use ssh? on top of that...all transactions are required to use FIPS compliant SSL encryption? ............ EXACTLY!

let's throw more money and get back to the bandwidth/hareware solution eh?

:)

Actually, depending on your situation, inline compression is very doable. There are hardware devices that can be used at both ends to transparently compress and decompress the data that flies across the wire - Almost ANY data that's compressable. If it's web-based,there are various data compression software components or dedicated hardware platforms to do the same thing that only need to be installed at the server end - Clients can already handle decompression as part of the standard browser. I've used both in different scenarios and both work well. When we put compression in front of our front-end site, our ratings with Gomez skyrocketed.

- G

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: d3n

No way. One of my customers here has a point-to-point T1/E1 from Round Rock, TX to Taiwan for only $7k.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
most companies here are throwing out the T1's and are replacing them with buisness sdsl or vdsl lines with SLA's

T1's have always been very expensive here

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
You might want to look at a burstable DS3 I was surprised how cheap they have gotten. Once you start getting into 3+ T1's the cost is usually not much more.

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: w0ss
You might want to look at a burstable DS3 I was surprised how cheap they have gotten. Once you start getting into 3+ T1's the cost is usually not much more.
That's because most smaller ISPs and most larger companies are now using T3/DS3 and OC3 for their own internet connections. Over time T1/DS1 is becomming less common.

Nice thing about burstable DS3 is you can still get those 20+ Mbit bursts, but if most of your bandwidth needs are more modest, you don't have to pay through the nose.

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
I completely agree about the access charges. But the access charge of NxT1 can be pretty high as well. With 3 Data T1's I would imagine he has a decent size office. Probaly has some voice T1's as well. You can combine them and mux the DS3. When I last saw a price for DS3(In Tampa,FL not sure if that was with or without LL) was 5k. Or go OC3 :) had one customer get a burstable OC3 for 10k(He provided LL).

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
Anyone ever heard of Netifice Communitications? I'm shopping for T1s right now and got quoted $391 per month, including loop. It's a direct connect to a backbone and not frame over relay.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
My company pays ~$600 per line (from 3 different providers) I looked into pricing for an unrelated application and was quoted ~250-275 a month.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: kextyn
A cable/dsl connection doesn't compare to a private T1 or higher. It doesn't matter what you use for compression. The line isn't going to be as stable or guaranteed. There is pretty much no guarantee for any speed with a cable connection.

Thank you; I was wondering what the deal is with T1, only being like 1.544Mbps (I think that's it, that number comes to mind for some reason), when cable can be had at well over 3Mbps now. Sort of like SCSI it seems - you pay more for the reliability.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
T1 - 1.5MB upload
cable dsl - 256-384KB upload

Anyways, we're hoping to get 5xT1's for around $2,500

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
If you're looking for 5xDS1 (7.68 Mbps) you might be better off with fractional or burst T3 (or OC3). Getting that kind of bandwidth over T1s means 10 pairs of copper and 5 smartjacks. Most telcos would rather install a fiber or coax loop.

crazyeddie

Dec 23, 2004
McLeodUSA

$340 for a T1 of Dedicated Internet Access including local loop, and that is before Term and Volume discounts. T&V discounts can knock 6% to 30% off the IXC portion of the circuit ($155 IXC, $185 local loop). The $155 for the pipe is network-wide, loop pricing varies by local market.

Only catch is McLeodUSA isn't national. They have a 25-state footprint in the central U.S. only for Dedicated Internet Access.

5 T1s is usually the break even point for DS3 local loop versus multiple DS1 local loops. It varies a lot depending on the RBOC though.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
$800 including loop. I've had some super crappy very unreliable T1s too where they simply wouldnt put the pressure on the lec to fix loop problems. Thanks ATTT.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
About 850 with local loop, 200 or so off our channelized DS-3. DS-3 runs about 2300 monthly. Looking at adding broadband into our mix for select areas. 10MB point to point in our area runs about 800 monthly.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dphantom
About 850 with local loop, 200 or so off our channelized DS-3. DS-3 runs about 2300 monthly. Looking at adding broadband into our mix for select areas. 10MB point to point in our area runs about 800 monthly.

on that note since we're on fiber a 100 Base-T connection is 300 a month.