How much do you make with your career?

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Consider 'College' as any post secondary beyond High School, university or technical school, whatever.

If you didn't complete post secondary, then call yourself High School.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
the people who say HS 71K+
what do you do? or are you just being asshats and ruining the poll?

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Experience is far more relevant than education. You're going to have 55 year old's with 35 years experience making twice what the fresh college grads are. I don't see how you're going to be able to discern anything meaningful out of this poll without a LOT of respondents.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
B.S. from University.

Pay varies based upon call (I'm on call and get paid 1 hour of overtime for every phone call I receive after hours.) Generally somewhere in the $130K range, although my last paycheck was a tad over $8K :Q

For those interested: find a niche. Mine happens to combine computer science, software, troubleshooting, networking, and patient care in the medical field. Hard to find people that are computer geeks AND enjoy medical stuff/people/patient care.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I clicked H.S. $71K+, but that's not quite accurate...G.E.D. $71K+ is more accurate...

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

Computer Network consultant specializing in Citrix Farm deployments. Never went to college, but have quite a few certifications.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
I think the poll needs more accuracy.

<= 25K
< 25K and <= 50K
< 50K and <= 75K
> 75K and <= 100K
> 100K and <= 200K
> 200K

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Most people who are saying HS $71k are older folks who have been in the workforce for a long time.

You have to remember, its relatively recent that a good deal of people are getting college educations.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I love how people who only claim high school are making more than a person with a masters degree in engineering!!! HAHA

By the way for those considering it, I think that a masters is worthless.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Most people who are saying HS $71k are older folks who have been in the workforce for a long time.

You have to remember, its relatively recent that a good deal of people are getting college educations.

I agree. It used to be a big deal to have a diploma and you could get a good job. My dad did; union electrician for a few decades, and he is set. Now I feel that a degree is worth about what a HS diploma was worth 30 years ago.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Guilty as charged. Union Crane operator for over 30 years...and the current rate is over $35/hour PLUS about $15/hr in benefits (health & welfare, pension, vacation, etc.)
Not too bad for a high school drop out...;)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: radioouman
I love how people who only claim high school are making more than a person with a masters degree in engineering!!! HAHA

Sorry to destroy your perceptions of the world, but it happens a lot more than you think.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Depends on the field.

Chemical ---> PhD
Nuclear ---> PhD
Civil ----> Masters

Electrical, Computer, Mechanical? a B.S. will do.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005

Only because you don't have one.

It depends on how you apply it. I am getting my Master's just to get it and it won't get me any more money doing what I'm doing...but it opens up more roads for me to travel if I ever want to (Google prefers Master's or even PhDs.)

With my master's degree I can be an instructor at the University, which I will probably do.

Every degree is worthless if you don't or can't apply it.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Guilty as charged. Union Crane operator for over 30 years...and the current rate is over $35/hour PLUS about $15/hr in benefits (health & welfare, pension, vacation, etc.)
Not too bad for a high school drop out...;)

That is the good fortune I am talking about. At least where I live, to get a job anywhere close to that you have to work a long time as a grunt and work your way up, and to get a foot in the door you have to know someone.

Your average HS grad cannot get jobs like these without luck. Your average college grad can get a decent job at many places (maybe not even that good, but decent. Depends on degree.)

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Descartes

Sorry to destroy your perceptions of the world, but it happens a lot more than you think.

I wonder what the average salary is in America for those with degrees vs. those without. Everyone between 18 and 55 counts. Drug dealers and prostitutes don't count.

I would be willing to bet that, on average, college grads make more. Which isn't to say you can't find a lucky job and get a good salary. But being a college grad makes it almost a sure thing to find a decent job and you rely much less on luck.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: pinion9

With my master's degree I can be an instructor at the University, which I will probably do.

Nope. Maybe a community collge, but not a uni. Gotta have the phd for that. Well, unless youre talking about teaching night classes or something in like economics.

Edit: To stay on topic, phd and i make just under $70k. Yep, i suck... :( Oh well, better than unemployment.

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337

Nope. Maybe a community collge, but not a uni. Gotta have the phd for that. Well, unless youre talking about teaching night classes or something in like economics.

Yes, a university. I know of a few people at our University that are not professors, but are instructors. I have taken classes from some of them. They teach mostly math and comp sci (I think it is limited to 100 and 200 level...not sure though.)

pinion9

Banned
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337

Edit: To stay on topic, phd and i make just under $70k. Yep, i suck... :( Oh well, better than unemployment.

PhD in what, though?

One of my childhood friends has his PhD in Near Eastern and Judaic studies (history degree.) Doesn't really make much money, if you can imagine.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Are you considering not going to college? Studies show that while college cuts 4 years of full-time work you could be doing if you'd just completed H.S., you still make much more money in the long run. I'm not putting down people who didn't attend college, it's just fact. Also, the poll is biased because there are many more young people on these forums with college educations (or working towards one) and low starting salaries than there are older college alumni with higher salaries.