How much do studded tires help?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
So, I'm from Bellevue (Seattle), but I recently moved to Spokane.

I woke up this morning, and there was snow all over the place.

I live about 3 blocks away from work, and it was the most difficult drive I have ever been in, haha. I couldn't even get my car to get above 2nd gear because my tires would just spin... and I was consciously trying to keep the RPMs/speed low.

I got my car fairly recently, so I believe it still has sport tires on it. I'm wondering how much studs would help me... and is it possible to "stud" my current tires, so I can get new ones in a few months? Or do I need to buy pre-studded tires?

Thanks

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What kind of car and what kind of tires do you have on it currently? Snow isn't that difficult to drive in, especially with good snow tires.

Studded tires are not legal in many states in the US because they chew up the roads so badly. Studded tires really work best on ice, not snowy roads. A good snow tire should work just as well on snow anyway.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: drum
you live 3 blocks from work and you drive?

Yes. So that when it is lunch time I don't have to walk to my house to get my car to drive to get food.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
If you really have summer tires then just going to an all-season tire will help a lot. And yeah, in a lot of places studded tires are illegal anyway.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
5speed BMW 325i.

Maybe new tires is my best option then, because the ones I currently have on it are NOT for snow.

Studs are legal here, lots of people use them. Maybe I'll take a trip to Les Schwab and look at my options.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Tizyler
5speed BMW 325i.

Maybe new tires is my best option then, because the ones I currently have on it are NOT for snow.

Studs are legal here, lots of people use them. Maybe I'll take a trip to Les Schwab and look at my options.

or just get a set of blizzaks mounted on another set of rims...thats what I have.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: drum
you live 3 blocks from work and you drive?

No kidding...remind me never to buy a used car from this guy.

Yeah lord knows he prolly stays at home all the time so not to use gas and waste it. Car used to go to work and walks to the grocery store or where ever he feels like going :p

Studded tires work but you could just buy a set of chains cheaper and put them on and take them off when you want without wasting your set now with studs or having to buy more later ;)

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

Not enough to justify the cost.

You don't have to travel 100mph to work, and you don't have to beat everyone off the line on the way there. Exactly how much of a rush are you in to get to work in the morning? Regular tires are fine.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: hpkeeper

You don't have to travel 100mph to work, and you don't have to beat everyone off the line on the way there. Exactly how much of a rush are you in to get to work in the morning? Regular tires are fine.

That's not true actually. Most sporty cars like the BMW come with summer tires (especially if you get the sport package) and summer tires are horrible in the snow.

I'd recommend getting a cheap set of steel wheels and mounting a good snow tire like the Blizzaks on them for winter driving. When springtime rolls around just mount the alloys with summer tires back on the car.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: hpkeeper

Did you not read anything I said?
I can't go faster than 15mph. That doesn't matter on my way to work, but I need to get other places constantly.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
is it possible to "stud" my current tires, so I can get new ones in a few months? Or do I need to buy pre-studded tires?

No, if you are going to get studded tires, the tires need to be marked as "studdable" (this means they have the holes in the tread to accept the studs). Also, you can only put the studs in the tire when they are brand new. If you drive on the tire, it will make it impossible to stud them after the fact.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
consider getting all weather tires with a set of snow chains or straps.

The all weather tires will be much better thatn your slick type tires.
The snow chains/straps are something that you can easily put on/off as needed.

Studded tires will also souind loud and run rough on pavement.

Also, remember that there will be idiots out there on the roads that will have not control and slide into you because of stupidiy.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Warm weather is moving in. All that snow will be gone by the time you got your studs. Get snows tires if you want to spend the money.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: crystal
Warm weather is moving in. All that snow will be gone by the time you got your studs. Get snows tires if you want to spend the money.

Warm weather is moving in??

I live in Spokane. There will be snow here for months.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: crystal

Spokane != Seattle

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Get good studded snow tires. Don't know what the hell these people's problem with studs is but nothing wrong with having them. Yeah they make a bit of noise but its not that bad and they don't ride rough or anything. They add very little to the cost of buying the tires so you might as well have them add them. They do help out on ice a good bit.