How much do Flat Panels reduce eye strain by?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer
I've been using a CRT for many hours a day since I was about 5..I'm 19 now, don't wear glasses and still have better vision than lots of people I know :)

The strain cause by staring at a CRT will not damage your eyes, only fatigue them. I have 20/15 vision in both eyes, and have been using computers for around 15 years. The one thing I always hated was working a long day, and going home with sore eyes or a headache. I finally got a laptop at work, and I can work all day on my computer, with no strain on the eyes. Shortly after that I replaced my home 19" CRT with an Iiyama 17" LCD, and I almost never have headaches anymore.

I don't know what the percentages are, but my guess from experience is that its over 30% less strain on the eyes.

Cheese78CA

Jul 6, 2000
Staring at a CRT causes your inner (nearest the nose) eye muscles to contract and outer muscles to extend. Over time and without regular breaks every half an hour or an hour or so, this weakens the outer muscles. That's what the focusing far and near exercises are supposed to alleviate. I think my squinting are symptons of myopia--although I do it an awful lot when I'm outside and even more when moving. However, I am unsure the problem lie in the CRT/LCD or more a consequence of locking in focus at the same distance hours at a time.

Originally posted by: MogulMonster

The strain cause by staring at a CRT will not damage your eyes, only fatigue them. I have 20/15 vision in both eyes, and have been using computers for around 15 years. The one thing I always hated was working a long day, and going home with sore eyes or a headache. I finally got a laptop at work, and I can work all day on my computer, with no strain on the eyes. Shortly after that I replaced my home 19" CRT with an Iiyama 17" LCD, and I almost never have headaches anymore.

I don't know what the percentages are, but my guess from experience is that its over 30% less strain on the eyes.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Cheese78CA
Staring at a CRT causes your inner (nearest the nose) eye muscles to contract and outer muscles to extend. Over time and without regular breaks every half an hour or an hour or so, this weakens the outer muscles. That's what the focusing far and near exercises are supposed to alleviate. I think my squinting are symptons of myopia--although I do it an awful lot when I'm outside and even more when moving. However, I am unsure the problem lie in the CRT/LCD or more a consequence of locking in focus at the same distance hours at a time.

Originally posted by: MogulMonster

its more locking focus for hours at a time. look at book worms with their glasses before pc's became popular:)

i have a dual setup, lcd and crt. :p the lcd is only slightly better for text. i still get tired after a while.

Cheese78CA

Jul 6, 2000
So no LCD for me?! :Q:(
rolleye.gif
:):p Just for reference, what LCD and CRT do you use 0roo0roo?

Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Cheese78CA

its more locking focus for hours at a time. look at book worms with their glasses before pc's became popular:)

i have a dual setup, lcd and crt. :p the lcd is only slightly better for text. i still get tired after a while.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
First monitor was a crap 14 crt that was shaped like a fish bowl. This was back in the the Pentium 133 cost £600! That was a truly CRAP monitor :(

Then i got a 17" flat crt by Sony e200 was and is very good. I still use it.

Then went to a iiyama 19" Vision Master Pro450. Another flat crt very good monitor.

I ran both my crt's with refresh rates of at least 90Hz. The iiyama one at least 100Hz or 120Hz. Can't remember.

Now I'm on a 23" Sony LCD:D. No eye strain on ANY OF MY MONITORS at all. They are all great. The 23" LCD is great. Very sharp.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
well an LCD will save u up to 85% electricity over same size CRT, so it pays for itself over time

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Palek
Well, I use two LCD 's at work, stare at them practically all day (10-12 hours), and I do not ever get headaches etc., so I'd say LCD's are pretty good.

Let's also not forget that CRT's are basically huge electron cannons that are constantly bombarding your head with all sorts of EM radiation, while the only things you get from LCD's are photons.

AAAAH! Photons?!? Like the torpedos in Star Trek? My face feels like burning!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Snatchface
Well, I use two LCD 's at work, stare at them practically all day (10-12 hours), and I do not ever get headaches etc., so I'd say LCD's are pretty good.

Let's also not forget that CRT's are basically huge electron cannons that are constantly bombarding your head with all sorts of EM radiation, while the only things you get from LCD's are photons.

Not proton torpedoes?

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Snatchface

Not proton torpedoes?
It was funny nevertheless. :)