How much did your paycheck go up from Trump's tax plan?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I got a sizable increase in my take home pay, about $85 bi weekly. How about you? Say what you want about Trump, but I like having that money in my pocket vs. going into the government blackhole. Just hope our deficit doesn't go wild from this, hopefully some reductions in spending or more efficient use of money is put in place.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Dunno cause I got a raise on my first paycheck and also upped my 401k contributions so I didn't really look at why the difference is what it is.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And all you had to do for your $85 was accept a permanent tax increase for the rest of your life, starting about 10 years from now.

Remember those kids in college who thought they were rich because their student loan disbursement came in? Lol.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Too soon to tell, on one hand my marginal tax rate will go down a bit, on the other hand I'll be hit with $10K SALT limit. I expect the two to roughly cancel each other for net zero effect or just about. Going to have to wait until 2018 tax filing season to find out. Whatever it's going to be, it's definitely not worth increasing national debt and cutting medicaid/medicare over. Not to mention that these supposed tax cuts will expire in 10 years, so not only will I be paying more in taxes in the end, I'll also be saddled with additional debt, and will have my social safety nets cut from under me. What a great fucking deal.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
F yeah, $85 bucks! And all we had to do was put the country an extra $1.5T in debt and have our children pay for it.

Sizable, lol.

That's 185 post tax dollars a month in my pocket for doing nothing different. I'll gladly take it with a smile on my face. If you don't want any extra money that comes your way I can give you my Paypal, you can send it to me.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
F yeah, $85 bucks! And all we had to do was put the country an extra $1.5T in debt and have our children pay for it.

Sizable, lol.

Between Bush and Obama, $1.5 trillion is peanuts. I don't know about you, but I like the idea of keeping more of the money that I earn. Didn't Obama raise the debt some ~$10 trillion alone? And none of that money went to my bank account.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Too soon to tell, on one hand my marginal tax rate will go down a bit, on the other hand I'll be hit with $10K SALT limit. I expect the two to roughly cancel each other for net zero effect or just about. Going to have to wait until 2018 tax filing season to find out. Whatever it's going to be, it's definitely not worth increasing national debt and cutting medicaid/medicare over. Not to mention that these supposed tax cuts will expire in 10 years, so not only will I be paying more in taxes in the end, I'll also be saddled with additional debt, and will have my social safety nets cut from under me. What a great fucking deal.

But in exchange for that lifelong tax increase you got a tiny tax decrease this year. What a great deal! Since taxes are going up permanently for the rest of us I'm sure they will be going up for corporations and the rich in the end too, right?

...right?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Have they finalized and published the Tables?
There have been no changes where I work and they stated that they were waiting on the finalized tables.

Side note anecdote on where I work: After issuing a small token bonus in December and a public "Thank baby Jesus for Republicans and Trump" press release (like a lot of large companies did), they have now significantly slashed all annual bonuses.
Lots of folks around here are getting shafted this year in terms of compensation.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
My girlfriend and I are looking at about $700 combined monthly ... we'll know for sure when we file, but my estimates are usually spot on. We'll get hit with a sizable "marriage tax" though, assuming that happens sometime in the next few years. Doubt we'll notice either way. My dad on the other hand is probably going to be about $3-4k ahead monthly. He's socking it away to retire outside of the US due to all the stupidity here. Hope he picks somewhere good so I have someplace nice to visit. He'll probably pick something tropical whereas if I had my pick of locale it'd be northern Canada or northern Scandinavia.