How much did you wedding cost?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Ah man, it sucks having a girlfriend with a big family.

If the wedding was my choice, it'd be on a mountain with a JOP with me and her.

If she has her choice, it'll be 200 people in a church with a reception, dance, DJ, two photographers, etc.

If I was the one doing the invite list, it'd be 20 people...I don't really have any friends anymore (moved away) and my entire family would be 10 people.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
like 250 all in all
2 rings and the wedding at a courthouse
we actually drove like 6hrs to up near Tahoe to get married, but they closed at 5, luckily since it was so close to NV we were able to make it to NV in time to get married at the courthouse.
I remember it started snowing on the way home, and it was a very nice day.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
I'm buying a house and paying for my wedding this year. :(

Fortunatly we've been saving and budgeting so that we have enough for our down payment as well as our wedding right now even though its not for another 5 months.

I'd estimate our wedding to be around $40k with about half going towards food for 250 people. The photographer, DJ, cake, flowers, invitations etc...should round up the rest.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
getting married may 25th...the whole wedding is 2500 and it will be super nice. spending $$ on a wedding == stupid. id rather use the money to buy a house...oh wait, thats what we did.

Sounds about right to me.

Glad my GF feels the same way. Spending so much money on just one day seems rather ridiculous. I'd rather put our money into something like a house.

Luckily for us, her aunt and relatives will likely help out and prepare the food (at little to no cost) and I believe there are no costs associated with having the wedding/reception at her church.

And there won't be any open bar at our wedding. You can forget that mess.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Ours was about $40k, which interestingly enough, is the least expensive of the last 5 weddings I've been to.

About 325 people were at the wedding.

I don't think there was any one particular cool thing, although I did like our bridal party entrance a lot. We just got our wedding videos back a few days ago, so I'm seeing some of the cool stuff I may have missed at the actual event.

BTW, during the planning process, I went back and forth with the whole "Is it worth it?" mindset, as I consider myself someone that's normally good with managing money. I think though, in my case, I'm fortunate enough that both my wife and I have good jobs, and have parents that contributed a fair amount as well.

I also think that, while yeah, it is just one day, there typically is no other point in your life when it's considered okay to go all out to such an extent.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
It was probably about 10K, give or take. Both our parents together threw about, 5k at the problem.

If I had to do it all over again, I would elope. We're making a good bit more money now that the cost wouldn't be such a concern. That said, there's to much stress involved in the planning. And everyone is trying, and succeeding, at screwing you.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Ours is so far looking to be around $9000...though it's more than we hoped to spend, it's still within the budget range we set. One of the coolest things will be the venue (Denver Botanic Gardens). The other cool thing is we're doing things the way we want, from the mixed wedding parties, to using our own mp3 player on the included sound system instead of a DJ, to not doing any of the junk we don't like in weddings (flower toss, dollar dances, etc...) It's going to be a blast. It'll be like $3000 out of our own pockets after the parents help out (for which I'll forever be grateful).

Yeah, it's pretty much going the same way for ours...

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
getting married may 25th...the whole wedding is 2500 and it will be super nice. spending $$ on a wedding == stupid. id rather use the money to buy a house...oh wait, thats what we did.
oh wait, so did we. :roll:

oh BTW congrats :D

lol thanks. we are paying for it ourselves and we are both 22, so spending big $ on a wedding would be a stupid choice. we are trying to get ahead of the game by investing in a house so the wedding will be nice but not over the top. we did splurge on the honeymoon though. we are going to paris for 8 days.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Ah man, it sucks having a girlfriend with a big family.

If the wedding was my choice, it'd be on a mountain with a JOP with me and her.

If she has her choice, it'll be 200 people in a church with a reception, dance, DJ, two photographers, etc.

If I was the one doing the invite list, it'd be 20 people...I don't really have any friends anymore (moved away) and my entire family would be 10 people.

this is the exact same fight my bf and i are having over weddings. i don't need a church, since i'm not religious, i'll just have my cousin's cousin marry us since he's an "ordained" minister or find a judge the bf is friends with to have a nice simple ceremony for the license.

i'm trying to find ways to cut costs, but to have a nice, memorable wedding, even small ones, cost a pretty amount. especially when i looked at the park my cousin was married at - if you WERE NOT having a wedding, the facility would be about 700 dollars to rent. the second you say wedding, they want 2500.00. i found another place that had a caterer that took place of EVERYTHING - from the food to the place settings and chair covers all included in the price, but they have a 100 guest minimum, and minimum charge was 5,000. and i still haven't priced flowers, invitations, photographers, etc.

if he had his way, we'd get married at the little white chapel of love, or in his words "where michael jordan got married!!!"

and you kinda need 2 photographers - after seeing pictures with just one, you kinda miss some important angles (like he only had shots of them walking down the aisle from the back, nothing from the front.)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I gave my fiance about 2k, and her parents are paying another 2k or so. The wedding will be in Bogota, so that goes a long way. It is still going to be rather small. The main expenses (which are not a part of the 4k), will be flying a few of my family members and friends over there. Not cheap.

Honestly, we may try to cut the costs even more than that. We are doing things simple. There will probably be less than 100 people there, and we both know a ton of folks. The reception will be at the military club near her house (her dad is retired from the Colombian Air Force), and the wedding is either going to be on a finca near Chia, or at her church in Bogota. Our Honeymoon will be just traveling somewhere in Bogota. We are going to save for a couple of years and then take a trip to Asia for our real honeymoon.

Already have a house and stuff like that, but neither one of us want to spend a lot of money on the wedding. We'd rather have it small and enjoyable.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I want to get married in San Gandolfo, north of Rome in Italy. Unfortunately it has a 10 year waiting list.

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
We paid $500 for the license and the JoP plus a $50 dress and then the tux rental, and that is it! My parents wanted a reception so they coughed it up for that, to the tune of about 8k.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
whats the divorce rate upto now?

whatever u're planning to spend on ur wedding, ask yourself - given the same odds in vegas, wud I take it?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
I gave my fiance about 2k, and her parents are paying another 2k or so. The wedding will be in Bogota, so that goes a long way. It is still going to be rather small. The main expenses (which are not a part of the 4k), will be flying a few of my family members and friends over there. Not cheap.

Honestly, we may try to cut the costs even more than that. We are doing things simple. There will probably be less than 100 people there, and we both know a ton of folks. The reception will be at the military club near her house (her dad is retired from the Colombian Air Force), and the wedding is either going to be on a finca near Chia, or at her church in Bogota. Our Honeymoon will be just traveling somewhere in Bogota. We are going to save for a couple of years and then take a trip to Asia for our real honeymoon.

Already have a house and stuff like that, but neither one of us want to spend a lot of money on the wedding. We'd rather have it small and enjoyable.
Congrats! Are you going to live in the States or Columbia?

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: lizardth
We paid $500 for the license and the JoP plus a $50 dress and then the tux rental, and that is it! My parents wanted a reception so they coughed it up for that, to the tune of about 8k.

Damn... Tas spent more on his new Rig then on his wedding? That cheap bastard :p

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
Price: About 25k

Best Part: Anything you want to drink, all top shelf and the Sushi Bar.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
$2k, ish.... It was paid for by my wife's family. And by far the best part about the wedding was the pictures....

some wedding pics -- all were taken by CrackRabbit, by the way. He did a most awesome job.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
4k, we packed up and went to maine. had pretty much just family and close friends, 15 total come. got married on a cliff next to the ocean, and off we went to eat lobster 8)

May 31, 2001
Our old plans went out the window, not that they were set in stone anyway. We haven't worked on new ones yet. Neither of us want a huge ceremony, though I like the idea of having it at the Luxor in Las Vegas.

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
married in '94, cost between $5k-$6k. we planned and paid for it ourselves, but didn't really cut corners - all the standard stuff. best part was it was outdoors, at a really beautiful park, and lucky for us the weather was perfect - we had no backup plan for bad weather, so we would have been screwed!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Mill

Congrats! Are you going to live in the States or Columbia?

Primarily the US, but once we save up some money we'd like to get an apartment in Bogota to use from time to time. They aren't very expensive there -- nice apartment can be had for under 50k.