Question How much CPU w/ Integrated GPU do I need to play 4K x265?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
As title states, how much CPU w/ integrated GPU do I need to play 4K x265 files? Reason I am asking is because no matter how well I take care of my UHD Roms, the end up having issues, issues that are not even visible to the naked eye. So I would like to rip my 4K Roms to X265 files and just play them that way, store them on a home server/nas and stream them to the HTPC. Not a fanboy, so I can go AMD or Intel and would prefer no external GPU.

Thanks

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
What are you planning as far as the home server/ NAS part of this equation?

For example, I am using a Synology DS-918+ for my server hardware with Plex as the software layer. This allows me to have client devices play back saved content in whatever format is best. This allows me to use almost anything to play my content...

On the playback side, what is your goal for the client side? Strictly a playback device/ full PC functionality/ something else?

Any CPU with HW H265 decode should work fine....
--- https://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hevc-h256-enconding-playback/

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
What are you planning as far as the home server/ NAS part of this equation?

For example, I am using a Synology DS-918+ for my server hardware with Plex as the software layer. This allows me to have client devices play back saved content in whatever format is best. This allows me to use almost anything to play my content...

On the playback side, what is your goal for the client side? Strictly a playback device/ full PC functionality/ something else?

Any CPU with HW H265 decode should work fine....
--- https://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hevc-h256-enconding-playback/

For server I was going to run a i5-2500K w/ 8GB of ram, a SSD for OS and then probably 4-8TB in either a Raid5 or Raid1 setup. Server will also encode the images into x265 or since I may go full 8TB of storage, I might just keep the discs ripped completely and not worry about encoding them, but either way, it really doesn't matter because that machine will be on 24/7 anyways.
Playback side will be a PC and just playing @ home to use the quality audio of a surround sound setup.
Thanks for the list, will take a look and pick something out.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
If your playback device is just intended for content consumption in conjunction with lossless audio on your surrounds you may want to look at using the NVidia Shield for the client..

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
If your playback device is just intended for content consumption in conjunction with lossless audio on your surrounds you may want to look at using the NVidia Shield for the client..

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would rather use a PC for the viewing of the files. It does get used for other, non HTPC jobs.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
As title states, how much CPU w/ integrated GPU do I need to play 4K x265 files? Reason I am asking is because no matter how well I take care of my UHD Roms, the end up having issues, issues that are not even visible to the naked eye. So I would like to rip my 4K Roms to X265 files and just play them that way, store them on a home server/nas and stream them to the HTPC. Not a fanboy, so I can go AMD or Intel and would prefer no external GPU.

Thanks
What are you using now as far as hardware goes?

I think the question should be is whether it is the ripping process or the playback process that is causing the problem. Even overclocking could be causing this.

Even if you can play 4K files sometimes the frames per second are limited. 4K might also be demanding on both RAM and the wattage needed for the power supply to play the video.

I recently built an Intel PC with a Series 8 CPU, I think an 8400 6 core i5 with 16 Gigs of DDR4 2400 and it plays video from the Internet just fine with no video card. The system runs very stable with HDMI 1.4. I am using a Corsair 650 watt power supply.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If you don’t require HDR, an Apollo Lake Celeron J3455 with HD 500 graphics will suffice. I have a NUC with the same that does accelerated 4K H.265 at up to 60fps and nary a dropped frame.

For official HDR and UHD blu ray support, you’ll want a minimum 600 series iGPU with 10 bit VP9 and a likely a processor with SGX (and you need to ensure your entire HDMI infrastructure is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant).