how much cash/greenbacks do you keep in emergencies?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Since I don't use banks all of my money is always either on me, or in one of my storage locations. I try to keep it under 3-5k though...anything over that and I'll pick up a bit of metal. Having been out of a good income job for some time that's not really a threat, but it's my sop.

I don't understand why some people are just so afraid of banks. It's understandable for my Grandma to mistrust them after the Great Depression, but nowadays it's just silly. With FDIC insurance, you take zero risk and earn interest in savings and some checking accounts at the same time.

There's a lot more to it than bank failure. It's been covered on here many times, no reason to revisit it.

Afraid the Feds will freeze your drug money?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I usually have $0... other than my cup of coins. I don't believe in cash.

I hate cash as much as the next guy, but what about places that only take cash?

I never frequent any. I rarely have more than $50 cash on me.

Originally posted by: rudder
I carry around a 2.5 pound brick of gold. 10lbs was considered bulk and much cheaper... but it was to heavy.

Consider an alternator-sized slab.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I keep 5 $20's in a box in my living room... basically enough to pay a cab driver if my wallet got stolen in the city, I was alone, and I had to take a cab back to my house.

I don't really see a situation in which I'd have no access to money and actually need more than enough cash to buy groceries for a week.

if we were in a blackout scenario like a few summers ago, I have enough non-perishable to survive on for a week or two, I'm in walking distance to my office, where we've got a week's worth of fuel for the generators, and I could always try and leach off my upstairs neighbor, who works on a farm ;)

if we were in some kind of apocalyptic situation... wtf would worthless paper do for me other than start a fire?

May 31, 2001
$500.00-$1,000.00 in U.S. denominations on my person.

Originally posted by: loki8481
if we were in some kind of apocalyptic situation... wtf would worthless paper do for me other than start a fire?

Toilet paper? ;)

EDIT: Oops, thought this thread specified "did we carry with us?" I have a bunch of silver, some in ingots, some in Silver American Eagles, at home. Among other things. :p

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
well now that i've heard some your plans here is mine.

I have 1K in cash laying around in my safe. With that i took an inventory of what i have laying around stored and in my safe. Oh and in times of emergencies my guns are my credit cards!

i will let you guys guys what i have firearms wise...but here;s my ammo stash

6,500 rounds of .223 ammo
1300 rounds of 45.acp
1000 rounds of 12gauge birdshot
1000 rounds of 12 gauge slugs
300 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buck
400 rounds of 9mm
1000 rounds of .30 carbine
200 rounds of .38special

2 weeks supply of MRE's
4 gallons of water (need more water)
tools, firestarters, tons of batteries, LED flashlights, sleeping bags, tent, adventure/military grade packs and clothing.
oh and my 2007 4x4 Nissan Xterra

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Hmmm this thread is making me scared. If I ever lost my wallet or got robbed I would be screwed. I sometimes have cash in my room but rarely. Right now I have about $30 in my wallet and none anywhere else. I think you people with thousands are nuts, but a couple hundred is probably a good idea. I can write checks for everything else.

always have a plan my friend =)

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
if S really H's the F, money won't be worth much. SHTF funds are better invested in food, water, ammunition and chocolate.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Since I don't use banks all of my money is always either on me, or in one of my storage locations. I try to keep it under 3-5k though...anything over that and I'll pick up a bit of metal. Having been out of a good income job for some time that's not really a threat, but it's my sop.

I don't understand why some people are just so afraid of banks. It's understandable for my Grandma to mistrust them after the Great Depression, but nowadays it's just silly. With FDIC insurance, you take zero risk and earn interest in savings and some checking accounts at the same time.

There's a lot more to it than bank failure. It's been covered on here many times, no reason to revisit it.

Something like that.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

Something like that.

Uh huh.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
my gf thinks $1000 is too much in cash to have on me.

It is....but it's your money.

Unless you're looking for dope deals, 2 -3 hundred + CCs will get ya outta just about anything.

I agree to a point. I keep 2 hundred folded into one of the side pockets of my wallet just in case.

However, I keep 2K in a safe at home for SHTF. We are so used to ATMs, debit cards, CCs etc.. that we assume they will always work. After Katrina the only thing that worked was cold hard cash. Those nice credit cards, debit cards and ATMs don't work most places if the phone lines go down, which is quite likely in a natural disaster/SHTF. I used to think that $200 cash was plenty but when you have two vehicles and it costs $50 to fill each one up that $200 doesn't go very far.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I'd really like to hear this situation where SHTF so bad that your CC wont work, ATM's wont work, and you cant wait a day to get to the bank :confused:
I mean are we like at the end of days or something here? cause if thats the case I'm just looting...

Sure thing, how about Katrina? And I am not just talking in the immediately affected areas. Due to the massive amount of phone lines down there was a HUGE area that could not accept credit cards for at least a week. Same thing with ATMs.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I have a safe at home that has about ~1100 in it... just in case. Never know when the money will useful. I regularly add about $5 a week going on for several years now

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I usually have $0... other than my cup of coins. I don't believe in cash.

I hate cash as much as the next guy, but what about places that only take cash?

I honestly don't know anywhere that takes only cash... haven't been to anywhere like that since I was in Europe.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
usually around 1000-1500$

no guns/ammo (im not gonna go shooting ppl to take their shit) :confused:

but decent amount of food & couple stacks of water bottles

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: chin311
usually around 1000-1500$

no guns/ammo (im not gonna go shooting ppl to take their shit) :confused:

but decent amount of food & couple stacks of water bottles

Silly, the guns/ammo are to shoot people trying to take your food/water.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I would never just put $1,000.00 in my pocket and walk around.

I do stockpile emergency water and food supplies.
Our church says to keep emergency supplies on hand just in case.
I would rather feed friends and neighbors than shoot them.

Bottled water
Spaghetti sauce
spaghetti
flour
rice
Spam - Last Forever
Chili beans
romen noodles
canned vegetables
Camp Cook Stove
Propane sealed
huricane lantern
Lamp Oil
Kerosine Heater
Kerosine

You can not eat green backs.

I have seen some reports that recommend you keep some supplies in your car as well.
some other things you might consider are Knife/multi-tool, flashlight, glowsticks, batteries, radio, Maybe wind up radio or wind up flashlight, fuel, shovel, blankets.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
£20 stash in my wallet that I don't spend for emergencies. I have cards in another card case so if I lose my wallet I have my cards and vice versa. I also have £10 in my card case as a deposit for the gym keys.

Koing