how much cash/greenbacks do you keep in emergencies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I'd really like to hear this situation where SHTF so bad that your CC wont work, ATM's wont work, and you cant wait a day to get to the bank :confused:
I mean are we like at the end of days or something here? cause if thats the case I'm just looting...

How about a lost wallet where CCs and ATM card disappear and need to be cancelled?

I keep $500 in cash at home and in my car I keep another $80 in cash and $20 in quarters. I've never needed the home money and likely never will, but it's nice to know it's there. The car money has come in handy several times where I've been weather-stranded, low on cash and nowhere near an ATM.

That's why you never keep ALL your CC/ATM cards in one wallet. I only keep the essential cards in my wallet at any given time. There is nothing wrong with keeping a few hundred bucks for emergency situations where you can't use a CC, but keeping thousands in cash stored under a mattress somewhere seems kinda silly.

Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I'd really like to hear this situation where SHTF so bad that your CC wont work, ATM's wont work, and you cant wait a day to get to the bank :confused:
I mean are we like at the end of days or something here? cause if thats the case I'm just looting...

Massive telecom system failure is all it would take. And even though banks would probably be open, would they fork over cash to people if the bank had no way to verify the customer had money in the account? Not that such a thing would last for weeks, but I prefer to have some cash on hand just in case it took a few days.

Has there ever been a precedent set of this happening? I'm sure they have to have a decent set of backup systems at a bank.

Recent one was katrina. Don't know if it was widespread for all banking, but people with smaller, local banks. That, and don't keep a stack of $100's. Keep lots of small bills.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154894
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=156211

EDIT: To answer the question, about 300. I use Wamu and Wells Fargo. I figure if by the time I get to safety (relatives/friends) and their systems are down too, cash might not be any good.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I have $1,000 in cash at home in a safe, but I don't carry that kind of money around with me. At most I will have $300 on my person.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: gregshin
just wondering how much u guys keep in stash when SHTF.

my gf thinks $1000 is too much in cash to have on me.

i have 6 figures in my brokrage acct.

i can cash out, xfer to my bank, and withdraw $500 from the ATM machine. that's $500 per day.

thats quick enuf, right?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Around 5k cash on hand.
Some years back the Feds walked into the S&L I banked at and shut them down, I had about 5 bucks laying around and that was it. It took months before I was issued a refund from the S&L.
My sons bank accidentally seized his account because they received an order from the IRS to seize the account of a fellow with the same name, they didn't even look at the SSN on the order, it took several days to straighten that out.

Shit happens, always keep some bottled water, cash, and ammo around.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
In all honesty 3-4K because I don't like to have to rely on a bank if I have to get chunks of cash quickly or when they're closed.

How often do you randomly need more than $500 in cash and can't wait for the bank to open? With CCs, you don't need to have huge amounts of cash just lying around, and you don't have to worry about not earning interest on your money.

Gambling or playing the horses. Sure it may not be a good idea but I need it ready whenever I want to go and not rely on a bank.

Plus if you're buying things cash always talks.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
$1,000 of guns and ammo will have far more utility than $1,000 of green paper when the SHTF.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Hmmm this thread is making me scared. If I ever lost my wallet or got robbed I would be screwed. I sometimes have cash in my room but rarely. Right now I have about $30 in my wallet and none anywhere else. I think you people with thousands are nuts, but a couple hundred is probably a good idea. I can write checks for everything else.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I usually have $0... other than my cup of coins. I don't believe in cash.

I hate cash as much as the next guy, but what about places that only take cash?

They don't get my business.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
The general rule is to have $200-400 stashed @ home in case of emergencies.

common sense people..

That won't get you very far at all. If credit cards ceased to work due to communication problems cash would still rule, second only to ammo.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
The general rule is to have $200-400 stashed @ home in case of emergencies.

common sense people..

That won't get you very far at all. If credit cards ceased to work due to communication problems cash would still rule, second only to ammo.

I think thats fine. 200-400 will get you at least a few hundred miles and set you up with supplies for a week or two until you hopefully get to friends/relatives outside the effected area. Of course, they should also have a "kit" ready to go for grab and go scenarios. Food, water, other supplies. I recommend bug out bags. Throw on your back and take a hike or throw it in the back of the car along with other supplies.

Oh well, I guess I have a small fortune in shtf tender: 9mm, .22, 12 ga, .223, 30-06 and the pieces of metal to use them as well as water, food, fuel.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
$1,000 of guns and ammo will have far more utility than $1,000 of green paper when the SHTF.

AR15 in 3shot mode FTW!

plus of course your Lvl3 (or at least a Lvl2+) body armor

May 16, 2000
Since I don't use banks all of my money is always either on me, or in one of my storage locations. I try to keep it under 3-5k though...anything over that and I'll pick up a bit of metal. Having been out of a good income job for some time that's not really a threat, but it's my sop.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Since I don't use banks all of my money is always either on me, or in one of my storage locations. I try to keep it under 3-5k though...anything over that and I'll pick up a bit of metal. Having been out of a good income job for some time that's not really a threat, but it's my sop.

I don't understand why some people are just so afraid of banks. It's understandable for my Grandma to mistrust them after the Great Depression, but nowadays it's just silly. With FDIC insurance, you take zero risk and earn interest in savings and some checking accounts at the same time.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

I don't understand why some people are just so afraid of banks. It's understandable for my Grandma to mistrust them after the Great Depression, but nowadays it's just silly. With FDIC insurance, you take zero risk and earn interest in savings and some checking accounts at the same time.

There's a lot more to it than bank failure. It's been covered on here many times, no reason to revisit it.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
(50) 00 buck shells and (100) rounds of 9mm JHP

If there is a day where I can't get $$ out of the ATM or bank, that will be more useful.

newmachineoverlord

Jan 22, 2006
For any emergency where cash would be useful, a cc is equally useful.

For other emergencies, I keep:
A crowbar, a pocket knife, a screwdriver, and a couple bamboo sticks. The crowbar is good for zombies and never needs reloading. I also keep 40 pounds of dog food on hand. If it's a real emergency, dog food is more compact and healthier than most human food.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I carry around a 2.5 pound brick of gold. 10lbs was considered bulk and much cheaper... but it was to heavy.