How messy is your system?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
mine is VERY neat. all my cables are taped/ziptied/sleeved and outa the way. i would post pics, but they are all on bbzzdd and i think the site went down or something.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Mine used to be a mess, I used everything to rig stuff...paper clips, zipties, mini-bungie cords, duct tape, etc. Then I wise up and only used zip ties. Case still looks like hell but I don't have a camera on me.

FPSguy

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2001
Messy (see link below). I am about to redo the inside with UV lighting, UV round cables, and UV zip ties, though (plus drives with transparent bezels and blue LEDs :D). Hopefully that will clean it up.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
my case is so neat and clean ~ it would make you sick! ;)

automotive wireloom and zip ties are your friends. (looks very BORG too)

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
It's stuffed to the max but as neat as I can make it. I use rounded cables, flex tubing, tie wraps, etc.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
A neat case is the first sign of a disorderly mind. Or an overclocker worried about heat and airflow...:Q

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: pspada
A neat case is the first sign of a disorderly mind. Or an overclocker worried about heat and airflow...:Q
I doubt the first is the case. Some people are just neat freaks.

I'm at work so no pics from me today but my own system is very neatly arranged. Tie wraps are my friend.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Sid59
One of my PCs

but that's a Pentium, so the mess won't impact the performance much anyways, eh? I mean, with the newer systems wire mess can clog up the airways and make the processor overheat and such, but with the older computers cleaning up the wiring almost always leads to little return for the work.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Mine is as neat as possible. Personally I found the rounded cables to be more bulky and harder to deal with than the regular ones.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
Originally posted by: VIAN
Mine is as neat as possible. Personally I found the rounded cables to be more bulky and harder to deal with than the regular ones.

agreed...i find it much easier to get a case clean with flat ide cables that you can bend to fit in the right hidden places.

on a related note: *noobish* folding the IDE cables can't cause any undersirable problems, can it? i've also heard that wrapping power cables around eachother can cause resistance...any truth to that?

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Mine's about as neat as I can get it without serious effort. :p No sleeving and very few zipties. I have a lot of stuff in my case though, so it's rather difficult to hide everything. You should see my server though... what a wreck! :D

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
on a related note: *noobish* folding the IDE cables can't cause any undersirable problems, can it? i've also heard that wrapping power cables around eachother can cause resistance...any truth to that?

No, and No... Folding the cables does nothing bad, nor does wrapping the power cables around each other... :)

high

Banned
Sep 14, 2003
No pics but I am very lazy, instead of cleaning it up just got a full server antec case with no windows to hide my mess :). It's not THAT bad, but I hated having a window when it didn't look completely prestine.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
i really want to take pictures of the machine i use .. but that would involve turning off the computer, setup the cameras, reboot .. no fun.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
my PC is neat... although I added a few fans recently and the cords are just hanging.. which is clutter to me. I'll make sure i take it apart some-day and zip-tie everything and make it uber neat :)

all cables are rounded/ loomed :)

Goatsan

May 30, 2003
Originally posted by: pspada

i fall under both catagories there, and my case is very neat, once about every month or so i open my case and see if i can do anything to make it neater, even more so when you get a window, i want to make it looks as best as could be, considering that the room it is in has my clothes and random junk piled up a foot high.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003

My IDE cables died - I guess because of folding them. Maybe you shouldn't fold them the full 180 degrees to make a vertex.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Here's the most recent pic I have of my system. It's taken just before Thanksgiving but nothing much has changed. The pic is compressed to fit on the server so please don't mind the pic quality.

The cabling would be a lot neater if Abit hadn't placed the ATX connector where it did (left side just below the CPU socket). I hope my next board will have these in a better location.