How MESSED am I?

EnsignFodder

Mar 5, 2003
Was removing the IHS on my x64 5000+ BE and had no issues after a little research. Got cocky and thought, "Hey I have this Phenom x4 9850 BE, how much harder could it be?" And without further research went to town. I have no idea how many (all) surface mount component are damaged/broken/removed, but I have shaken (yes shaken) all the loose stuff out from under the IHS. I just send my MB off for RMA (reason I had the Phenom out in the first place) and I do not have a way to test, but wanted to know if it was even worth trying or if it might f*ck something else up even testing it.

Thanks for any advice or dope slaps you wish to provide.

P.S. The Phenom IHS is solder to the core and that is why I was unable to remove it.

EDITED TITLE AND SUMMARY
Profanity (even in disguise) are not allowed in topit titles and summaries
Anandtech Moderator
Gillbot

footballrunner800

Jan 28, 2008
What do you mean by shaking? Can you hear stuff inside the processor? This sounds like a really good excuse to move to Phenom II :).

EnsignFodder

Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: footballrunner800
What do you mean by shaking? Can you hear stuff inside the processor? This sounds like a really good excuse to move to Phenom II :).

Between the silicon substrate and the IHS. When I pried one corner up I could shake the "stuff" out.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
What color was the stuff that came out and what shape were they?

Did it look at all like gray/black broken glass?

It can only be one of two things - broken off bits of excess solder or broken off bits of very much not in excess pieces of silicon that form part of your CPU.

In any event it is unlikely that your IHS is what anyone would consider to pass as being flat at this stage of the game and your HSF is likely going to make craptastic thermal connection to the IHS even if the CPU is still working.

Time to fleabay that nearly mint condition hardly used l33t Phenom x4 9850 BE ;) Last time you checked it it was working perfectly, at least thats how I read it :p We knows how hard those shipping guys are on boxes...

(note to anyone lacking a functioning sarcasm meter this evening, that is a joke, I am in no way condoning or recommending the OP actually sell their chip under the auspices of it being functional at time of sale)

EnsignFodder

Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Idontcare
What color was the stuff that came out and what shape were they?

Did it look at all like gray/black broken glass?

It can only be one of two things - broken off bits of excess solder or broken off bits of very much not in excess pieces of silicon that form part of your CPU.

In any event it is unlikely that your IHS is what anyone would consider to pass as being flat at this stage of the game and your HSF is likely going to make craptastic thermal connection to the IHS even if the CPU is still working.

Time to fleabay that nearly mint condition hardly used l33t Phenom x4 9850 BE ;) Last time you checked it it was working perfectly, at least thats how I read it :p We knows how hard those shipping guys are on boxes...

(note to anyone lacking a functioning sarcasm meter this evening, that is a joke, I am in no way condoning or recommending the OP actually sell their chip under the auspices of it being functional at time of sale)

Little brown and gold pieces, but not blue/green cpu die pieces. Oh and plenty of black rubber type stuff.

As to all of you recommending a new Phenom II - Thanks but I could hardly scrape up the cash for this one.

As to the Fleabay - wasn't there a Seinfield about the shipping & handling, but I don;t remember it working out too well.

Thanks and look for the key chain sale in my next FS-FT thread.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I might have missed it...but what the hell happened??

Did you overtighten the heatsink and end up crushing both the IHS and die :confused:? Or did you not realize that some of the components on the board were in the way of the heatsink?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: EnsignFodder
As to all of you recommending a new Phenom II - Thanks but I could hardly scrape up the cash for this one.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it a bad idea to physically mod a computer part that you can't afford to replace? :confused:

Originally posted by: AmberClad
I might have missed it...but what the hell happened??

The OP tried to remove the IHS of a Phenom. Unfortunately the IHS appears to have been soldered/epoxied or otherwise permanently attached to the core. Failure ensues.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: legoman666
*I sense a Phenom II X4 940 in your immediate future*

I second that one as well. sounds like the higher power is trying to send you a message ... PII ... PII ... PII ...

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
If you hear shit rattleing around it could just be some solder that you have loosened that is between the die and the IHS.
Either that or you have managed to break off a transistor or worst of them all you broke off a piece of your cpu die which would suck total balls!!

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Um, why did you want to remove the IHS from the CPU? I'm just curious.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: EnsignFodder

Is it just me or does anyone else think it a bad idea to physically mod a computer part that you can't afford to replace? :confused:

I am going to have to go with this one.

If you have the money, you can do anything. If low in funds, take extra special care.;)

EnsignFodder

Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: AmongthechosenX
pics! :p

Let me get the digital microscope and I will show you some of the "stuff" that fell out. - Tomorrow.

Mod - Sorry for the profanity, I got caught up in the moment/emotion.

To all wondering why I would do this to a part I cannot afford to replace, I was a victim of my own success squared by my rash nature.

Overall why - to run cooler and OC better.

I will pull an older board out and put in the socket and update.

Thanks for all your kind :roll: words and deep ;) understanding.

EnsignFodder

Mar 5, 2003
Pics missed due to cleaning crew wiping up desk and the little bits I wanted to show. Will try to shake some more out and put up images.