Question How many watts do I need to battery backup up my network?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Every time I get a brief power outage for a few seconds or a minute my entire network gets hosed. I'm tired of reconnecting all my NAS's. Trying to get one that disappeared to show up again right now. I have a router 2 4 bay NAS's, a 2 bat NAS and an 8 bay NAS. How many watts do I need?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
900W should be more than enough. A lot of power requirements are overstated at the MAX power draw not the typical.

For instance my 5G gateway has a 45W power wart but, when putting a power meter to it the actual draw is less than 5W. The issue is it needs a 15V signal to trigger power up.

My laptop says 180W but, typical surfing only needs 60-65W, when the GPU is engaged though for video / gaming it does hit that 180W mark.

I like to find ways to power these sorts of things in a portable manner so, investigating the needs is just part of the deal. Sometimes it's just easy and sometimes it requires diving into the specs w/ a meter. The 5G GW was an issue as I had a power bank and some other things to test it with but, until I put the meter inline it wasn't obvious that it needed 15V. The power bank didn't have a 15V power profile and thus failed to bring it online. I got a different PB and it works great and provides over 16H of power.

There are also USBC >> DC cables you can potentially use. I usually see 3.5 drives as 10W/ea but, the CPU in the NAS might be above 100W which would make it hard to do over USBPD.

Reactions: jamesdsimone

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I got a 900w unit from Newegg. The next step up was 1050 or so but the price doubled. Most of the time the servers are idle so not drawing max watts. I just need them to not discnnect every time there is a power fluxation.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Test it's out by hitting the breaker and see what the results are. If it works then you're all set and if not then grab a second one instead of going with the costlier model.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd just get the biggest consumer UPS you want to pay for, like 1000va or 1500va which are typical sizes. Should be a few hundred bucks. It will be way more than enough while giving you extra margin for run time as it's likely to have bigger batteries.

I personally use an inverter-charger with big batteries for long run time and 750 watts runs my server rack. (don't actually have that much stuff. Couple servers, managed switches, etc)

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Don't calculate wattage for UPS's.
Calculate Physical Size.
And shove the largest UPS possible that you can fit in the location you want, as it just boils down to extra run time when power goes out.

The only time you actually calculate wattage is if your at the peak, like you have a 1000W system, and you need a 1000W UPS.
Otherwise a 20W modem + 60W NAS running on a 1000W UPS, means extra run time, incase of outages.