How many votes away from impeachment was Bill Clinton ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It's not like it was a person-killing decision. The effects of his lies were embarresment, the whole matter wasn't really anything important. If he'd lied about killing someone, or lied about doing something that had serious consequences (like peoples deaths), then it might have been serious misjudgement for people to say he hadn't done anything wrong, but all that he did was lie about something that is of little importance, and it seems the senate accepted that.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
If Clinton got a blow job and ejaculated, just what did he do wrong? I want some of that wrong, too. :)

-Robert

Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: slycat
he did nothing wrong.
Adultery isn't wrong?

SODOMY isn't wrong? :Q

:beer:

Well, adultery *is* wrong, but the person who had the right to nail his ass for it was his wife, not the Republicans on their witch hunt. Nevertheless, he DID do something wrong when he LIED under oath, for which you or I would have gone to jail or been fined heavily. He SHOULD have been convicted of that charge, given that there was no question he was guilty, even *he* admitted it.

As for Sodomy being wrong, no, not really. A little gross, IMHO, but I don't see anything *wrong* with it as long as the participants are consenting adults. I have no right to tell another person what they can and can't do sexually with another consenting adult.

And where did the Sodomy thing come from? I don't recall hearing he had banged her butt, just that he had diddled her with a cigar and she'd sucked him off. Did I miss a bit?

Jason

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
It's not like it was a person-killing decision. The effects of his lies were embarresment, the whole matter wasn't really anything important. If he'd lied about killing someone, or lied about doing something that had serious consequences (like peoples deaths), then it might have been serious misjudgement for people to say he hadn't done anything wrong, but all that he did was lie about something that is of little importance, and it seems the senate accepted that.

Thats the most stupid thing I've ever read.

Perjury is perjury.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It depends on your definition of "is"

We deserved better public & private behavior from a sitting president.

His footnote in the history books will be that he was lucky enough to be president during an economic boom, couldn't keep his pants zipped up & lied under oath about it.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Bwuahaha, like you are a Moral Pillar of a man yourself!
well for the record..
i contribute more to charity than you probably make in income (if you make any)
i provide hundreds of thousands of dollars in free medical care (would you go to work all day for no pay?)
i pay huge amounts of tax (do you pay any)
i pay my debts, i support my family, i'm faithful to my wife.

you sir would do well to follow my example (oh if only you could)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
Bwuahaha, like you are a Moral Pillar of a man yourself!
well for the record..
i provide hundreds of thousands of dollars in free medical care (would you go to work all day for no pay?)
i pay huge amounts of tax (do you pay any)
i pay my debts, i support my family, i'm faithful to my wife.

you sir would do well to follow my example (oh if only you could)
Ya got me there Gandhi
rolleye.gif
Never said I was a Pillar of Morality. Good thing there is no hell or I would have a reservation already

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
I'm sure that many if not all of those 55 against votes were not based on a belief that "he didn't do anything wrong", but rather that the offense was not of a grave enough magnitude to merit removal from office.

For a little context, if a normal citizen was caught lying under oath with the same evidence, most District Attourneys wouldn't even bother to prosecute the case. I've seen footage of President Bush jaywalking. That's breaking the law, I suppose he should be impeached and removed from office for jaywalking. Granted, lying about one's personal life under oath is worse than jaywalking, but it is closer to that end of the spectrum than it is to say murder or treason. Lying to Congress about the reasons for war, when it is Congress' authority and responsibility to declare war, is further towards the bad end of the spectrum, IMO, but perhaps still not aggregious enough to merit removal from office. If the Democrats had the numbers required in the House, don't think for a second they wouldn't have impeached Bush already.

By voting on the side of sanity rather than with the neocon lynch mob, the Republican Senators who did not follow the party line probably earned a few more years of relatively fillibuster free Senate activity (goodwill which appears to have dissipated as of late). The problem with childish partisan politics in the Senate is that without a fillibuster proof majority, a single pissed off senator can potentially shut down Congress indefinitely. That traditionally forces the Senators to be a little more respectful of each other and more amenable to logical compromises.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
the GOP is just happy he cant run again, they know he would smoke anyone they put up against him.....

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: josphII
Originally posted by: Dman877
Originally posted by: Howard
he did nothing wrong.
Adultery isn't wrong?

SODOMY isn't wrong? :Q

:beer:

Depends on your culture and beliefs.

Originally posted by: Crazyfool
he did nothing wrong.

Lying used to be wrong.

:p

Clinton lied about getting some on the side, GWB twisted the truth to kill thousands and earn billions for his campaign contributers and powerful corporate allies. Make your own judgement. Something to consider, the rest of the world laughed at the republicans who impeached Bill and they are now truly scared of the current administration.

i read something like this and i cant help but think how much of a disconnect democrats have with reality. no wonder its been all downhill for them since 1998 (or whatever year it was that they lost control of the senate and house)

but what really boggles the mind is how he was found not guilty. i mean surely he purgered himself and obstructed justice, but for 55 senators to blantantly disregard the law and to say that he in fact did not commit purgery or obstruct justice is truely pathetic

should he have been removed from office? maybe, maybe not - but he was guilty as charged

That you can read the paragraph above yours and ignore its ramifications and talk about disconnects is appalling, and ironic.

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
That you can read the paragraph above yours and ignore its ramifications and talk about disconnects is appalling, and ironic.

yeah, i should have been more sympathetic to the delusional

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
well for the record.
i pay huge amounts of tax .

I dont believe a word of it. I have never known anyone that does good works to brag or use their good deeds to beat others over the head to prove that they are superior human beings. It would be impossible to do what you posted (work all day for no pay) and still pay huge amounts of income tax. How do you make money if you work all day for no pay, I know, you work as a greeter at WallMart in the evenings.

Bleep

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Regarding perjury, I think my thoughts can best be summed up by Mr. Izzard:

You have murder one, murder two. You realize that there can be a difference in the level of murder. So there must be a difference in the level of perjury. Perjury one is when you?re saying there?s no Holocaust when, you know 10 million people have died in it, and perjury?nine, is when you said you shagged someone when you didn?t.