How many times is too many times to watch a film?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Or sometimes I just like watching Riddick again!
:)

I really liked that movie and all the undead multiverse stuff. While looking at who directed it I see we have a new "riddeck" movie coming

Furia ~!

"When Riddick finally finds his home planet, he has no idea what's in store for him"

Awesome looking forward to hit.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
It's only too much if it gets in the way of work or other necessary/social activities or otherwise rises to the level of harming the individual. This is the standard that should be set for all abusable activities. Nothing wrong with escaping into a double-feature of movies every night if the rest of your shit is handled and you aren't ignoring anyone you care about.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There are some movies I like to watch again, like at Christmas time I always end up watching the two first Home Alone movies.

Some movies are also worth watching just for the cinematics, like LOTR. Have not watched those in a while actually... I need to do a marathon, watch all 3 Hobits and all 3 LOTR extended versions. I don't know anyone crazy enough that would want to partake in that with me though so I'd have to do it alone. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There are some movies I like to watch again, like at Christmas time I always end up watching the two first Home Alone movies.

Some movies are also worth watching just for the cinematics, like LOTR. Have not watched those in a while actually... I need to do a marathon, watch all 3 Hobits and all 3 LOTR extended versions. I don't know anyone crazy enough that would want to partake in that with me though so I'd have to do it alone. :p

Modern men do that in their own mancave and just talk over ventrilo or something

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I lost count the number of time I watched The Wrath of Khan. Definitely too many.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Yet you jack off everyday :rolleyes:

odpgjcA.gif

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
According to my list, I've watched the Kill Bill movies 13 times each.
I watch next gen (well listen to anyway) about 3x/day at work instead of music. Ss I guess I racked up 15 plays this week.

Before that I used guardians of the galaxy 2 as background noise on netflix I'm probably on some list somewhere like "people who watched guardians of the galaxy 2 112 times" but really I was cleaning or doing laundry or whatever.

In terms of actually sitting down and watching the actual honest to god TV I spend like 0 hours doing that.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I think that really great films, you dont watch them as often. A great film can have a filling experience, and while that stays with you, you dont want to watch it again.

Yes i did watch BB 154 times, but thats just me wasting time. Singing the songs, doing the dances. Speaking the lines along with the film. Im not really watching it, im not consumed, if not with ME.
Same for the rhps.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Maybe its because I have a great memory that Ive never understood people who watch a movie more than once or reread a book. Too much new stuff out there to rehash the old.

Now reviewing certain parts or scenes is a different story but to do the whole thing over is a waste IMHO.

I am also talking about reading or viewing for pleasure. Studying is a whole different thing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's not what your remember but what you feel.

Ive had sex once and i remember it perfectly, no need to have sex again.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
1 time is too many

it is far superior to read all the reviews and absorb the zeitgeist of the film unhindered by your own biases

only then can you truly appreciate a film

Reactions: IronWing

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I've watched all the Lord of the Rings movies at least fifty times. Even more for the original Star Wars movies. At least triple that I'm sure.

Some movies I'll always keep on if I see them on TV. T2, Back to the Future, Office Space, Dumb and Dumber, Indiana Jones etc. Certainly seen all of those dozens of times.

Nov 20, 2009
There are a lot of movies I've watched many times. I would think Bladerunner was watched >50 times. I've lost count. Multiple times in the theater, on VHA, DVD and Blu-ray. Others are not far behind in the count. Then again I like movies and have a home theater with a ten foot wide screen and nice sound.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I've never voluntarily watched a movie more than twice. I expect my lifetime total to never exceed five.
I'm the same way. Probably the one I watched the most is Spaceballs at 4 times. Actually now that I think about it, A Christmas Story might be in the lead with an unknown amount of watches since my dad usually has it on when I visit my parents over the holidays.