How many times is too many times to watch a film?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never voluntarily watched a movie more than twice. I expect my lifetime total to never exceed five.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
It's never enough, I have watched Gladiator so many times that I lost count once I was close to 20

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Life is too short on wasting your valuable time watching a movie again and again. ;)

It works nicely with my workflow though - wait for enough ironing to do, put a film on that I've seen before to watch while doing the ironing.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It works nicely with my workflow though - wait for enough ironing to do, put a film on that I've seen before to watch while doing the ironing.
I see a way to free up more time. You'll feel like you're always on vacation. I should be a personal consultant.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Only once mostly....just can't watch a film twice. With streaming apps there are so many other films to watch.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For me some movies are akin to great symphonies or works of literature as art. Is listening to Beethoven's 9th symphony once enough?
I just don't like video much. I don't like the way it dominates attention. Your ass is planted in one spot, and your eyes have to stay on the screen, or you might as well not even bother. I can do other things while listening to music. A piece of music can have more than one story, and it can change per the listener's mood. A movie has one story, and unless it some kind of confusing "art film", you get it at first watch.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Life is too short on wasting your valuable time watching a movie again and again. ;)
I have made a point of trying to find movies that I want to watch multiple times, even many times. But I have never gotten the bug like a lot of people. There's no movie that I've watched more than a dozen times.

Jerry Maguire I've watched 12 times. Partly because a certain person I met online said she watched it at least once a month. The next most times I've seen a film is 8 times, Casablanca. Saw Jurassic Park and Pulp Fiction 6 times. About 8 movies 5 times. I keep this info in a data table with other info.

Some movies really do work well in mulitiple watches, even close together. I forget a movie, many I can watch a few years later and not remember what happens and it works for me again. But I don't rewatch as much as many people do, favorite movies. Many movies just suck the first time. Occasionally I'll rewatch it later thinking maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind the first time, but usually I still dislike it... not always!

These are the movies I've seen more than 3 times, in descending order, the most at the top:

Jerry Maguire (Cameron Crowe, 1996)
Casablanca (1942, Bogart)
Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994)
Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
L. A. Confidential (1997)
Titanic (James Cameron, 1997)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Unforgiven (1992, Clint Eastwood)
Fargo (Coen Brothers, 1996)
Office Space (Mike Judge, 1999)
The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
Robocop (Paul Verhoven, 1987)
The Matador (2005)
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
When Harry Met Sally (Nora Ephram with Rob Reiner, 1989)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Easy Rider (1969)
The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers, 1998)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Kaufman, 2004)
Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975)
Airplane! (1980)
Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff, 2001)
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Spielberg, 1981)
The Terminator (Cameron, 1984)
The Departed (Scorsese, 2006)
Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
Juno (2007)
The Pink Panther - A Shot in the Dark (1964) (in Collection) Not for a long while!

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I recently watched The Godfather again for the first time in a while. I estimate I've seen that film 10 times.

Despite knowing pretty much every line I that movie I was engrossed from start to finish. It's composed like a great symphony, in different movements. Every aspect combines in a very artistic way: the acting, the setting, the music etc.

I remember going to Blazing Saddles parties in college. I've probably watched THAT movie 25 times and it's still a hilariously good time when you're in the right company.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've never watched 'Jerry Maguire'. I've never encountered anything that made me think "that sounds like an interesting movie", and to make matters worse it was in the Tom Cruise "Dis" era, where pretty much every one of his movies had to include a word he would say with "Dis" on the front, such as 'Mission Impossible' had "DISAVOWED!", and it would help his performance to really get behind such a word and put some feeling into it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
For a while there I didn't have cable and only had a handful of DVDs, so I'd put them on in the background. I've probably seen The Hunt for Red October, Patton, and The Great Escape more than 20 times each.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
According to my list, I've watched the Kill Bill movies 13 times each.

Once is too many times to watch those...but, as a general rule, if you know every word of the dialog, you’ve probably watched the movie too many times...