How many tabs do you have open?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I'm a person that keeps no more than 4 open at a time if it's different websites. I have this cookies & cache phobia where I like to maintain a certain set of cookies and cache and make sure I wipe everything with my clear cookies and cache button upon website exit.

On a forum I'll go to the CP and just middle click all the crap I'm subscribed to which could lead to about 15 tabs open.

700?! Da fuck man. LOL!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I liked firefox's tab grouping(personas?) that they recently removed. I didn't use it frequently, but it was nice on occasion for grouping research tabs together.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I think the OP is a practical joker. I think the OP just wants to show off is browser leet skills.

But I gotta say. The last time I seen that much RAM was in the back seat of my Honda Civic with the Homecumming queen.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
14 in Chrome, 13 in FF. 4 tabs are onion articles :D
I use this handy feature called a "bookmark" and I make "folders" to arrange the "bookmarks" in.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Holy crap, how many TB of ram do you have! My FF uses several GB with just a few tabs open lol. I usually have under 10 tabs open myself unless I'm in the middle of something then I tend to keep opening new ones so I can go back to the others too.
FF is good about RAM. I keep more open than the OP, sometimes, and it's rare than a 64-bit FF variant will use more than 5-6GB, even though I have a few times that much free. It can also handle 100+ tabs total with 2GB RAM systems (non-upgradeable Chromebook :(), and remain acceptable (though it noticeably slows down in that case around 50-70). FF does gradually slow down, but not enough to make it a problem, except on very bloated sites, like Amazon, IME, provided one is already running extensions like uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and Noscript, to block CPU and RAM hogging useless junk.

14 in Chrome, 13 in FF. 4 tabs are onion articles :D
I use this handy feature called a "bookmark" and I make "folders" to arrange the "bookmarks" in.
I used to use bookmarks. Now I use persistent sessions, and cheap RAM. Really, I just think nothing of opening a new window, opening more tabs, culling the useless ones, and then leaving the rest, if I want to go back. I figure out where things are by the patterns of favicons, with the tabs allowed to go really tiny.

Last edited:

Typ33

Aug 24, 2014
Average: 6
Max: 15
I have The Great Suspender chrome extension.
It avoids losing all memory due to inactive tabs. It's useful to set your chrome settings to remember your last session too so you never lose a single tab even if Chrome decides to crash.

- Test it for yourself.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I use bookmarks, but there's a hierarchy for frequently visited pages:

1. Speed Dial (FVD Speed Dial in Chrome). I have 12 tabs, 20-30 sites per tab. Couldn't live without this extension.
2. Bookmark bar. Icons only, one or two characters at most for descriptions. About 30 links.
3. Bookmarks. A little more tedious getting to things than the other methods.

I also create small batch files for launching a browser window with groups of related URLs. Double-click a shortcut, 20 tabs get loaded in a new browser window.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never got into using bookmarks for some reason. I tried, but I found it hard to find what I was looking for again. Sometimes the site URL isn't intuitive, and coming up with a name you'll remember on your own isn't convenient.

To me it feels like more of a disruption to close a tab than to just leave it open, especially if I know I'm going to come back to it.. even if it's a week from now.

Why does 34k unread emails mean I'm unorganized? I mean I'm not a pinnacle of organization, but I do ok. I've had my gmail account since it was beta, obviously I don't feel the need to click on every email, who cares lol. The junk doesn't get clicked...

To me, my browser is organized. I know where most everything is, and it all has a purpose. Some of the stuff in the middle I haven't looked at for several months now, but I'll come back to it when I pick back up whatever it was I was working on when I opened them.

It's good to see there are at least a few others who actually use their computers. :p

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Try opening 720 tabs with Firefox e10s when they happen. I dare you.

Also do you ever close Firefox and reopen it ?