How many spelling mistakes does it take...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
I dont have perfect grammar and couldnt care less
More important than that is what is said and how it is said... If you judge someone by their grammar youre an ass
Not to mention not everyone is english here, and some people might not have had classes even, which makes it totally unfair
Evaluating someone by their grammar is like evaluating someone by their looks, sure you might be impressed at first, but in time the true content will show, and content is the key

That I can understand and forgive, it's the idiots who were born and raised in this country who can't spell or speak properly that amaze and annoy me.

Still, I can forgive a few mistakes here and there but if you misspell something in the topic title I'll probably point it out, especially if your post is coming off as holier than thou. :p

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Its not a specific number, but if grammar and spelling are both piss-poor I usually have a hard time taking someone seriously.

That's about the same for me. Most mistakes look like they're typos rather than actual misspelled words.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A simlpe tyop is unedrstandalbe, but a mes-spalled werd is totale differunt. Wee kin al spel betr if wee tri.

While spelling and grammar are indeed different, they're, their, and there are not spelling mistakes, they are grammatical errors...
its tough to take some one seriously when they make to many grammatical errors. It shows that there not paying attention or arent schoold wall.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
until you think the person is a moron?

Consider that you are reading a brief paragraph a few sentences long, not for professional distribution. Just casual, like posting here in the forums.

This question was inspired by a thread I was reading when one of our illustrious members, after reading a post which intimated there was a moral to be gleaned from it while also containing several spelling and grammatical errors, wryly responded the moral of the story was that the OP should have stayed in school.

Oh hey, that was me.

I almost never bring up grammatical issues, but come on - did you try to read his post? :Q

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
just one bad one. pretty easy to tell the difference btw typos and ignorance

Like the guy who tried to pass of "saciatrist" as a typo?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Wees all dun not care iffin' ye meks yer word redable. Dern city folk havin' cow over nuthin'.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Consider that you are reading a brief paragraph a few sentences long, not for professional distribution. Just casual, like posting here in the forums.

This question was inspired by a thread I was reading when one of our illustrious members, after reading a post which intimated there was a moral to be gleaned from it while also containing several spelling and grammatical errors, wryly responded the moral of the story was that the OP should have stayed in school.

Thanks so much for the poll . It was I you speak of lol. I replyed to that person befor I read this.

I let the person have it with both barrels. LOL. Yep I hate the spelling grammer cops.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

Oh hey, that was me.

I almost never bring up grammatical issues, but come on - did you try to read his post? :Q

OK so tell what topic your talking about here. So others can see if they get what I said . Let see how many have a problem with the content. Could be you have a problem .

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
As long as the poster doesn't make completely stupid errors like "Your stupid" or "I went to there house" or "I am to good at this game" grammatical errors don't bother me that much. People talking like a retarded 11 year old (hey i hav 10 fps in cs how 2 get mor thx lol) pisses me off.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I don't care how they spell unless it's unreadable. If they type lik dis adn dont use ne punctuasion in incredibly long run on sentences I think they are clueless 13 year olds who need to be banned.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

lol, wtf is that? :D

Psychiatrist. I agree with HardcoreRobot's assessment - it's obvious when someone is lazy or ignorant or if it was just a typo.

Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

OK so tell what topic your talking about here. So others can see if they get what I said . Let see how many have a problem with the content. Could be you have a problem .

Here you go:

You shouldn't ask us this qyestion. How do you feel about the mistake. Than ans. your own question.

Here is something that happened to me. As I am sure to many other people also.

I went to cash my payroll check at my bank drive threw . As always I pulled ahead Counted the money. The teller made a mistake. So I drove aroynd got back in line. Got to the window and told the teller she errored in the amount she gave me.

Will she blew up and said I gave you the right amount and said a few choice words. I said OK . I may have made a mistake. Shee said good. I looked her straight in the eyes and said yes it was vary good for me. Than I drove off.

Later that night she called me and said her tell was off. I said well you gave me the right amount. She said you know that I have to cover shorts and I said Ya I know that. Than I said were you off by $100. She said yes. Than I said how could you make such a mistake. She said I don't know but I did. Than I said than you made 2 mistakes didn't you. She says in a snubbish way. Well what do you mean by that.

I said there are some people out there who would return the money. But you get all huffy with them and act like a bitch. They going to leave you hanging. I said I will bring your $100 down to the bank tomorrow.

I did she never said I am sorry . Or thanks. I took my wifes money and mine out of the bank . Put it in another. My wife new one of the tellers and was told latter the rude person lost her job over the whole deal . Not because we pulled our money . But because she niether said she was sorry or thank you.

There is a moral to this.

Yes, the moral is stay in school!

And in response to this:
Dam spelling grammer cops ! Its not something you would do . But you got no problem pointing out a spelling , grammer mistake. Without knowing the condition of the author. Your perfect.

Based on your post about the new world order, I'd say your "condition" is batshit insane.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Hay bugs its pretty easy to see that there was a typo. but that not an excuse . Because my spelling infact sucks. My grammer is even worse. Somebody grab a rope Dammit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
On ATOT, I don't pay much attention to spelling unless the error is funny. I expect ATOTers to type faster than they think. On resumes, letters, and other business correspondence one strike and you're a moron.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
it densot mtaetr so lnog as the frsit and lsat ltertes are in the crorcet sopt, the hamun biarn can fgirue it out.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Guys I have to share this with ya. My wife just read the post in the other thread. She hasn't laughed that hard in a long time. She said that was perfect. I said yes it was good.

Than she said no one got the moral of the story. I said not so. Than I showed her this thread.

JJONES from my wife
rose.gif

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Not today no meds today feel pretty good. I am stuck here in this dam chair I get bored . I like to have fun. This is off topic the hot spot for fun. You act as if you didn't think I knew at least 1 spelling grammer cop would show up. You should read more of my post. That doesn't mean that I am not a poor speller or have bad grammer. Because I do struggle with some words .

But you have to examine my last sentence. There is a moral to this. My statement was self explanatory. Than examine were the mistakes are made, :camera:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Not today no meds today feel pretty good. I am stuck here in this dam chair I get bored . I like to have fun. This is off topic the hot spot for fun.

I was actually talking to the op, but i can understand your mistake.