How many spelling mistakes does it take...

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
until you think the person is a moron?

Consider that you are reading a brief paragraph a few sentences long, not for professional distribution. Just casual, like posting here in the forums.

This question was inspired by a thread I was reading when one of our illustrious members, after reading a post which intimated there was a moral to be gleaned from it while also containing several spelling and grammatical errors, wryly responded the moral of the story was that the OP should have stayed in school.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I dont have perfect grammar and couldnt care less
More important than that is what is said and how it is said... If you judge someone by their grammar youre an ass
Not to mention not everyone is english here, and some people might not have had classes even, which makes it totally unfair
Evaluating someone by their grammar is like evaluating someone by their looks, sure you might be impressed at first, but in time the true content will show, and content is the key

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
I dont have perfect grammar and couldnt care less
More important than that is what is said and how it is said... If you judge someone by their grammar youre an ass
Not to mention not everyone is english here, and some people might not have had classes even, which makes it totally unfair
Evaluating someone by their grammar is like evaluating someone by their looks, sure you might be impressed at first, but in time the true content will show, and content is the key

Proper use of "couldn't care less" makes up for the rest of your post.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: newb111
I think the real question is: How many run-on sentences does it take...?
Sorry, I'll try to keep my sentences to five words or less for those that have difficulty carrying a thought. Oops, did it again. ;)

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: newb111
I think the real question is: How many run-on sentences does it take...?
Sorry, I'll try to keep my sentences to five words or less for those that have difficulty carrying a thought. Oops, did it again. ;)

Thanks. Anyway. For. Trying.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
as long as it is legible, who cares? however with firefox's spell check, mistakes should be minimal.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Just because someone can't spell very well doesn't make them a moron, some very clever people just have trouble spelling..

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I used to not care, but now that most use firefox which has the auto spell-checker... it makes it pretty obvious who's too lazy to fix their mistakes when it's marked for you. So maybe not moron, but very lazy at the least.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself

Someone who clearly and eloquently expresses their thoughts and opinions deserves my immediate respect regardless of whether or not I agree with them. If they fail at basic communication skills, I find little or no reason to start off with respect. They can earn it, but posting in language commensurate with a 3rd grade education is hardly the hallmark of an intelligent person worth listening to. There is a gradient of horrors in the spelling/grammar errors grading scale, of course, and everyone gets a mulligan...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Sometimes it's not the number of the mistakes, but rather the raw ignorance shown. For example, there was a thread where a guy spelled "psychiatrist" as "saciatrist", and then tried to claim that was merely a typo.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: OdiN
It's funny that you mentioned a frog in your poll......

paging NF.

Yes, but I can't say I'm too keen on the usage...

Well if it's water tight....does that mean you can't have a stick up it?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
One or two, but under "spelling mistakes" I include misuse of their, there, and they're.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its not a specific number, but if grammar and spelling are both piss-poor I usually have a hard time taking someone seriously.

Overall I'd say Anandtech is pretty darn good.
Most video game review sites irritate the hell out of me.

I also have an ex-girlfriend/penpal who is very well spoken and has several college English classes under her belt, yet for some unkown reason writes like a slow 12-year-old with a video game addiction.
In fact I've been in matches with young kids on CounterStrike who write much better than she does.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It's funny that you mentioned a frog in your poll......

paging NF.

Yes, but I can't say I'm too keen on the usage...

Well if it's water tight....does that mean you can't have a stick up it?

My point is why does it have to be a frog's arse? Aren't human arses pretty well water tight? You don't hear about people dying every summer from spending too long in the pool and having their bung get waterlogged, do you?