How many racist comments in the example?

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
At one group breakout session at the meeting, a woman handed out a sheet of paper with "some samples of teachers comments that are racist."

race-meeting-2jpg-30c5749a11f1850d.jpg

This is in my area and I'm befuddled. Why are people motivated to point out non-existent racism. Has racism been redefined while I wasn't looking?

The link to the news story.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Here's a couple of definitions.

Merriam-Webster

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

Dictionary.com

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I can see 2-3 overtly racist examples in the picture. Other examples fall into the not racist/asinine category.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'd say #3 is the only one I'd consider racist. A race is indebted to some old dude from 150 years ago?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's a couple of definitions.

Merriam-Webster

Dictionary.com

I can see 2-3 overtly racist examples in the picture. Other examples fall into the not racist/asinine category.

See the word usually in the second definition? That means not always. Racism does not have to be explicitly about superiority or inferiority. It just means a generalization based on race.

That being said, why don't you tell me which ones you think are racist and then I'll tell you how the other ones can be interpreted as racially insensitive.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd say #3 is the only one I'd consider racist. A race is indebted to some old dude from 150 years ago?
Okay, #2, asking for "a black person's perspective" about something not directly related to their race implies that you think black people think differently about everything. Like they are a different type of human.

Really? People can't see this shit? It's not that difficult.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
#4 "Someone like you"

What does that mean? Someone black like me? It can certainly be inferred so don't use that phrase.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
#1 "Savages"

Let's pretend this isn't a dog whistle term used by people upset they can't use the n-word in public anymore.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
5 (depends on age, kids usually don't pick where they live. More classist than racist.)
6 (but only if teacher controls curriculum)

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
5 (depends on age, kids usually don't pick where they live. More classist than racist.)
6 (but only if teacher controls curriculum)

Really? #7 Telling the kid he "needs to escape the ghetto"? Lol.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
#1 "Savages"

Let's pretend this isn't a dog whistle term used by people upset they can't use the n-word in public anymore.

I disagree and use it to refer to people of any color practicing uncivilized behavior. People who cant fit into normal society and act like animals are savages.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I disagree and use it to refer to people of any color practicing uncivilized behavior. People who cant fit into normal society and act like animals are savages.
How you claim to use it doesn't change the FACT that many use it as a substitute for the n-word.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Okay, #2, asking for "a black person's perspective" about something not directly related to their race implies that you think black people think differently about everything. Like they are a different type of human.

Uh. It's no different than asking a woman about a womans perspective on something. Ask a woman about a situation involving a man/woman. They had a fight. Now ask a man about the same situation. I can guarantee you will get two different responses.

Culturally men and women are raised differently. So you will get different results. Just like culturally blacks and whites are raised differently.

Maybe you don't want that to be true, but it is.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Your assumption is that the child is black.
Doesn't matter, ghetto is a racially charged word. Even saying that a white kid needs to escape the ghetto implies all sorts of negative things about said ghetto.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Uh. It's no different than asking a woman about a womans perspective on something. Ask a woman about a situation involving a man/woman. They had a fight. Now ask a man about the same situation. I can guarantee you will get two different responses.

Culturally men and women are raised differently. So you will get different results. Just like culturally blacks and whites are raised differently.

Maybe you don't want that to be true, but it is.

OMG lol, so black kids can't be raised in the exact same way as a white kid now? Maybe you should think about your posts a bit more before you share them publicly.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Everyone needs to feel like a victim.

Honestly...you guys have no idea what I have to go through being a Mexican female. Life is so hard!

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
How you claim to use it doesn't change the FACT that many use it as a substitute for the n-word.

I can only claim it for the way I use it. Whats next? Therefore any word can be substituted for the n-word. Where does it stop?

I know the way I use it and intend for it to mean.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can only claim it for the way I use it. Whats next? Therefore any word can be substituted for the n-word. Where does it stop?

I know the way I use it and intend for it to mean.

Where does it stop? It stops when people stop hating, so never. Deal with it or stick your head in the sand, I don't care.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

The article quotes a woman who wants a different type of human teaching her children.
"With a little more diversity, they'd be more understanding of their students," said Wanda Alvarado-Eaton, a grandmother of children in Worcester schools.

Can white people even mention race? Is that racist? Or is it race-insensitive... usually?

A commenter who purports to to be the quoted grandmother states,
I am the grandmother in the article.I would love to go into detail with you and look forward to seeing you and others at Worcester Voke on Monday night.If your hungry be there by 5:30 so you can eat as a light meal is served.I have been to all of them.It is a dialogue/conversation about race.Simple.Some people get all fired up about the topic.I infact didnt imply anything.I stated the facts as i experienced and continue to.If you need the details I will happily talk with you Monday.There are other comments i have made on this post.Feel free to read them.Diversity is a good thing so Im confused about your comment.

Unfortunately there are some really ignorant teachers.My children were in the wps system and experienced it because of where they lived which was Great Brook Valley at the time and because it was assumed that their parents didnt care about their education.They were wrong I as the mother was always involved and in fact have had to address 2 of the comments on the list.That i might add was 20 yrs ago and now Im watching my children discuss the same and in some instances worse issues now with their childrens schools.Belmont St. Cityview and North High School. There is a real problem that needs to be fixed thus the purpose of the dialogues.The goal is to come to an understanding and make it better.Unfortunately there are more negative people and comments than positive.And we wonder why these kids are afraid or feel like they have noone to go to just saying

I have a suspicion that this dialog is going to be very one-sided.

For the sake of transparency, I think comments #3 & #7 are racist. Possibly #6 but I don't know the context. Ghettos need to be acknowledged as such and not 'communities'. It intentionally hides the issue and is intellectually dishonest.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The article quotes a woman who wants a different type of human teaching her children.

Can white people even mention race? Is that racist? Or is it race-insensitive... usually?

A commenter who purports to to be the quoted grandmother states,

I have a suspicion that this dialog is going to be very one-sided.

For the sake of transparency, I think comments #3 & #7 are racist. Possibly #6 but I don't know the context. Ghettos need to be acknowledged as such and not 'communities'. It intentionally hides the issue and is intellectually dishonest.
Of course white people can mention race. It all depends on what is being said. Ghettos don't need to be acknowledged as ghettos, they can be referred to as poor neighborhoods...

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Where does it stop? It stops when people stop hating, so never. Deal with it or stick your head in the sand, I don't care.

I agree about the hate part of your post but I'm not going to pander to a minority by avoiding the use of certain words that are clearly not racist in any sense. I never even knew some people use savage in the context you claim it to be. Savage was never a racist word where I come from.