how many of you visit www.anandtech.com?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
I go there from time to time, however I've lost most of my interest in PC's. If the state of gaming weren't so pathetic and I had more time... maybe.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Every time I visit, I go to the front page. I don't have the forums specifically bookmarked. I like reading the DailyTech feed too.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I had no idea there was a main site...just thought it was forums only ;)

In all seriousness though, I do occasionally...if I accidentally click on it at the top...but when I do I look around for a little bit...not too shabby :)

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
still get the RSS feed for both the main site and DailyTech to keep up.

don't really have the time nor the interest to keep up with hardware anymore so i don't read every article, but if there's any interesting one, i'll check it out. same goes for DailyTech. of course depends on who wrote the article. often, the comments can be as good as the article itself...

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I used to visit it when I cared about new hardware and stuff, but its probably been like 2 years since I visited the homepage.

I probably hit it once every other week, maybe once a week if im bored at work, just for the sake of keeping up on technology and whatnot

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I never do. I don't care so much about hardware. I like Ars for varied techie articles.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Not more than once a month probably. Not nearly as much as I did 7-10 years ago, but it's still a great site. Sometimes I'll read one Dailytech feed and end up reading 10. Also whenever I'm looking at some kind of PC upgrade, I'll hit the main site for the review, as well as the forums.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
lol, rss..i check that for new articles. no point just going to the home page randomly.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I used to for the occasional check-up on what's new, but their new website design is so terrible that I use others now.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Pretty much. The days of me building/upgrading systems are over I think.

I don't do anything that requires any sort of real power any more. Give me a browser and I'm set.

I think this holds true for most of us that registered 5+ years ago. I think a lot of us joined when we were in high school or early college during a time when new products were not released that often, there was a lot of competition and there were significant differences between products. Now days most of us (that small fraction that is still posting) have jobs and families and the market has completely changed.

The first video card I bought was a Voodoo 3 3000 in 1999/2000. At that time there were a handful of video card manufacturers and there was 6+ months between releases, often longer. Now days a new card is released every week (Newegg has over 500 for sale) and differentiating between them is a nightmare. At that time it really mattered what you purchased because the wrong choice would often leave you unable to run the app/game you wanted or would be completely and utterly obsolete soon (buying a card right before the new line with major improvements was released). The basic fact is that an off the shelf system from Best Buy today is perfectly capable of running and doing anything I could want to do for several years.

The forums really have changed a lot. A lot of us stick around because this is a community we literally grew up with, but it is more about socializing than learning about technology.

-SD (originally joined ~1999)

kitchiku

Nov 6, 2009
Everyday. i would like to get updated on the news and hardware reviews. It also has a section of dailytech headlines.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I think this holds true for most of us that registered 5+ years ago. I think a lot of us joined when we were in high school or early college during a time when new products were not released that often, there was a lot of competition and there were significant differences between products. Now days most of us (that small fraction that is still posting) have jobs and families and the market has completely changed.

The first video card I bought was a Voodoo 3 3000 in 1999/2000. At that time there were a handful of video card manufacturers and there was 6+ months between releases, often longer. Now days a new card is released every week (Newegg has over 500 for sale) and differentiating between them is a nightmare. At that time it really mattered what you purchased because the wrong choice would often leave you unable to run the app/game you wanted or would be completely and utterly obsolete soon (buying a card right before the new line with major improvements was released). The basic fact is that an off the shelf system from Best Buy today is perfectly capable of running and doing anything I could want to do for several years.

The forums really have changed a lot. A lot of us stick around because this is a community we literally grew up with, but it is more about socializing than learning about technology.

-SD (originally joined ~1999)

:thumbsup:

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Back before I even checked out the forums, the main site was invaluable for benchmarks and product comparisons. And that was back when it was feasible to build a PC from scratch and actually save a lot of money.

Last desktop I built was probably in 2001, have bought nothing but laptops since. Only thing I do with lappys is upgrade the HDD or add more RAM, and you dont need 10 page in depth reviews for that.

Unless I set up a homeserver one of these days, I dont see myself buying a desktop ever again.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
i'm with SD. i started out with reading the articles on AnandTech back in 1998 or 1999... that was when i was also reading TomsHardware ;-P i remember my first build used a first gen Athlon and first gen GeForce. that was when we had to install network cards! i also had a 19" Sony Trinitron that weighed a ton. i wasn't into forums back then (as you can tell from my Join Date) and used CollegeClub, AIM, and MSN Messenger.

now i'm way out of college with a full time job, just bought a house, and have greatly expanded my interests. i think i was into computers back then because the internet was all new to me and it was exciting learning about the stuff. i'm still interested in tech but i have so many other things going on too.