How many of you students realize that...

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
the grading systems in the majority of elementary and high schools measure not necessarily the intelligence of a student but the effort a student puts into his work?

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I put in no effort and get pretty good grades. That must mean I'm intelligent or I cheat. I'll let you guys guess.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
what about the kids who can do the work in their sleep, don't try at all, and pull off 95%+ averages? :p

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But doesn't your effort reflect your intelligence in a way? If you're smart, you know that you have to give it your best to do well. :D

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Umm...

Not true. Grade school was a breeze for me, never got anything less than a B and that was in PE. I sucked at PE. Other than that I got straight A's. And I never did a bit of homework. Finished all my work in class, including assignments that were intended as take home. Teacher was dumb, & would pass them out 15 minutes before it was time to leave. Plenty of time. ;) Anyway, moral of the story is I never worked & got straight A's. It bit me later on, though, when I got into upper level math & engineering.

:(

Viper GTS

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
im one of those guys all my friends hated, i never studied or did homework, but did good on tests, and thats how i passed. being a computer junkie didnt help much either, but hey, Im a programmer, no one cares if i aced my classes or not, they just hire me anyways. guess being a computer junkie paid off :)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Think about it though. If you did no homework, no projects, no class work, yet still pulled off 100% on all of your tests, you would still probably have a terrible grade because you neglected to do the work.

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's your point, AMD Junkie? I'm sure most students have figured that out already...

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not true. One of my teachers let us determine what percentage each part of the course went to, so we could make tests 90% and everything else 2%. But that wasn't exactly normal. ;)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
WAIT A SECOND HERE! You mean all you guys basically pulled sh!t out of your a$$ and handed it in and they took it?!?!?!? What school did you go to?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
No, I did all the homework & assignments. The point is they took no effort. I could get through an entire day's assignments in 30-40 minutes if they were handed to me all at once (I did this when I was sick for 3 weeks once. All my assignments were sent home, & I did them in 1/2 hour.), there was no effort, no learning to study. Which is what bit me. I'd never had to really apply myself, so I didn't know how.

Viper GTS

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Viper:

Yep. :D

I actually said 2% because there were 5 other elements of that class, which made the total 100%. So nyah. :D

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
AMD Junkie, what are you talking about?

You don't need to do any work, just ace tests. My brother did that in a class, he did no work at all, all year long, and aced the test, of course he passed.

I don't usually do much homework, but this year I'll have to do more, because I'm in *gasp* advanced math *gasp* .. oooh ...

yay, one class where I'll need to work .. the rest is still slack off time :D

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
AMD, not necessarily true, at my school tests were worth say 80% of my total grade in most classes. So I get a's on tests from being "naturally smart" (well maybe just knowing the info ahead of time hehe) and did moderatley decent on my homework (dont turn it all get, get decent grades on what is turned in) and you can get a's or b's really easy. Even in honors level classes it was easy. I'm in a pretty similar boat as Viper GTS is. I got through with high school and had a less than admirable work ethic, then I hit college and went into the subject I suck the most at, math, and took calc. Whoops.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Viper GTS,

Yeah that's like me, and I can see myself in the near future, needing to apply myself and not knowing how... :( but oh well, I'll enjoy HS while it lasts ;)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
RSI: I'm talking about Jesuit High, where homework/classwork is 50% of your grade in most classes, and a bad test isn't nearly as bad as a missed homework assignment.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
RSI...

Word of advice for you: Learn how to study, & do it fast.

I made it through three terms of calculus (with B's) without doing any homework, 'cause the teachers never collected it. And then I hit differential equations. I've had to drop it mid-term twice now, 'cause I'm so completely lost. I wish I hadn't had quite such an easy time in gradeschool/early college, 'cause then I might know how to study properly. I'm somewhat scared to go back now, 'cause my last few terms I did BAD.

Viper GTS

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Hey Viper, being a second time calc student with a teacher who had been reprimanded many times for making his class too hard, I've found I do so much better if I just ignore the teacher during the hour and read teh chapter on my own and just ask him questions about specific problems. I'm also going to buy a book one of my friends has that has lots of example problems worked out in numberous steps. Our text book sucks. Good luck man.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
The valedictorian of my highschool wasn't necessarily the smartest person in my class. (That would have to me :)) Ah j/k, but hopefully I'll graduate first in my college class and make up for slacking off too much in hs. Anyways, All my classes were a combination of work and intelligence give or take one of the other depending on the teacher/subject.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
What's it mean that I don't go to class, don't do the homework, and show up only on test days? I study the day before the test (2 days for finals). Somehow, I've managed a 2.8 throughout college, which really ain't too bad at the college I'm at (3.0 is Dean's list).

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
Some of my teachers let us determine how much of our final grade our final exams would be. I had about a 95% going into my English final freshman year of HS and asked for my final to be worth 2% (that was the minimum). I got a C on the Final but still got an A.:D

My math teacher from the same year said she would vary the worth of our final depending on whether or not it helped us (30% if good, 5% if bad). I had a B+ and pulled off an A. w00t!:D

Of course last year (sophomore HS) my History teacher made it worth about 40% of our grade. Let's just say I'm not happy that I have him again this year.:|:(

Last year I did all of my homework for computer science, chemistry, and Algebra II/Trig at like 10PM-1AM and pulled off 3A's. Sadly I won't be able to do the same this year in AP Physics or AP Computer Science since I'm currently in the middle of writing a paper for the former and I still have a huge worksheet to do.:(

~~YAWN~~ 12:30 here and I need sleep...

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
WHAT KIND OF FREAKIN' SCHOOLS DOES EVERYONE HERE GO TO DAMNIT?!?

Sorry, but after reading all the responses here about people putting no work into school and getting good grades just pisses me off like nothing else. The past year I worked hard spending upwards of an hour every night working (AT LEAST), and barely managed to get decent-good grades. And the people what did get all A's were the people who had no friends or personal life and spend all his/her work into their school work, while those who were lazy got what they deserved.

Is it just me, or are those schools where kids decide what they want just bad? I mean, they're basically rewarding the kids who were born with brains, and no effort, while punishing those who come from a family not so smart who work hard. Like Junkie said, it should be the effort that's graded and that should count.

So to all those people who have managed to not do an ounce of work during their school years yet managed to get even semi-decent grades, BITE ME :Q