how many of you have fallen down stairs before?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Yes, but I only fell like 4 steps. Knowing how painful that can be, I don't know how TV shows people rolling down an entire flight and living.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I've fallen up stairs numerous times, usually running up them and catching my foot on the edge of the next stair and boom I'm flying straight into the stairs with my body. :D

As a kid, I've fallen down stairs a few times, usually towards the bottom, thankfully... or caught myself after a few steps. :p
However, as a kid, I fell off a lot of things, was a little monkey. Probably why I have a fear of falling now. ;) Most trauma, however, was caused by me running into things. My head found the walls and corners a lot as a kid. :laugh: Found myself on the ground after running nearly full speed into a tetherball pole. That left a nasty little bump. So did the door at the zoo that didn't exactly open far and swung back into my face.

Funny though, for all the ice packs for nasty bumps on my head, I've never broken a single bone. I've always loved milk as a kid, maybe I have strong bones, because I sure have fallen enough... maybe I just unconsciously know how to land right. hmmm

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I once slipped on a stair while I was holding a monitor. I caught myself. The monitor didn't.

Edit: Never fallen down a full flight of stairs though, always stuck my foot out and ended up sliding down a few (which can be painful).

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
When I was a kid, we had carpeted stairs. We had down booties (Tahoe) we wore for slippers. We used to ski down the steps with them.
Just point your toes down and hit the top of each step on your way down.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
at my GF's sometimes when I reach the top of her stairs I still try to go up one more step. lol I do stumble after that but luckily I've never actually fallen and busted my ass. I HATE THOSE LAST INVISIBLE STEP THAT DON'T EXIST!

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Few years back I was going downstairs to watch some TV after having a few drinks (honestly only a few) and I jumped down the last 2 or 3 steps to the landing. Well I forgot the ceiling at that point jutted out. Hit my head hard right on the corner of the ceiling. Luckidily no sperbadent bamage was bon.....

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: QueBert
at my GF's sometimes when I reach the top of her stairs I still try to go up one more step. lol I do stumble after that but luckily I've never actually fallen and busted my ass. I HATE THOSE LAST INVISIBLE STEP THAT DON'T EXIST!

haha lol yeah those can be embarrassing.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: troytime
my most embarrassing moment involved me falling down some stairs and ending up naked :(

Wait a sec how do you start out clothed at the top and naked at the bottom simply from falling down the stairs??

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I've sleptwalked, tripped over the binder we have at the top of the stairs (to signify the house alarm is on), tumbled down, smacked my head into the wall, and triggered the very loud alarm in a timespan of about 3 seconds. I was pretty surprised

Dec 10, 2005
Slipped up and down, but always only towards the very top or bottom, so I didn't hurt myself too much (just a bruise or two).

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: troytime
my most embarrassing moment involved me falling down some stairs and ending up naked :(

Wait a sec how do you start out clothed at the top and naked at the bottom simply from falling down the stairs??

:confused:...:laugh:

cjvon

Jan 7, 2008
I don't remember the fall but I was told by my parents that I fell down the basement stairs, landed face first on our lawnmower, and knocked 2 of my upper front teeth out.

I remember the missing teeth. I was around 3 yo at the time.

Maybe the stairs thing was a story created by my father who flew into a rage and punched my teeth out!

I have no idea why there was a lawnmower in our basement, maybe the house didn't have a garage so we kept it n the basement during winter months.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
fell down the stairs at my parents house once when I was a teenager. there was a blanket covering the top of the stair case (forget why it was there, I think my mom just threw it there to take downstairs with her to wash) and I tried to be lazy by walking on top of it instead of picking it up and moving it.

slipped and fell down the stairs. only 14 steps. my butt hurt, but that was about it.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
I did fall before. When I was little I missed a step and somehow slide down the stairs to the bottom... No tumble, just a slide... I wish I could replicate that :laugh:.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
When I was in my early teens, I slipped on black ice on brick steps and killed my lower back which also provided amusement to the kids in a school bus that passed by my house at the time.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
I haven't fell down the stairs ever, I have missed a step a few times but I have long legs so it was pretty easy to recover balance. My mother has fallen from the top of the stairs before though due to a structural problem that caused on the steps to collapse.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
I slipped off a step once and slid down a few on my ass. Man that hurt. But no tumble.

Same thing happened here. I slid down about half a flight of stairs. I had a stomach ache for the rest of the afternoon. That was.. interesting..