How many of you geeks would go into farming if you knew you'd make $100k+/yr?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
As somebody not taking advantage of subsidies, I would prefer not to take advantage of subsidies.

Just saying.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Well, theres "old fashioned" farming, modern farming and ranching.

Old fashioned farming keeps you busy and is somewhat labor intensive. Oh the whole not too bad.

Modern farming is repulsively boring with auto steer tractors.

Ranching is goddamn hard work. And you do it every single day of the year.

Check

Nov 6, 2000
No, I wouldn't go into agriculture. No creativity, same thing year after year.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
AFAIK from the farmers i live by, they make 300-500k a year. Then again they own the farm and land and equipment already.

PsiStar

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2005
No, I wouldn't go into agriculture. No creativity, same thing year after year.

Just perception ... strategizing with mother nature with rain or no rain or when will it rain, putting the right crops in the ground based on market potentials/crop rotations .. when & what to sell. Modern agriculture is not for the brain dead.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
What if you had a nice rotation with someone else...1 month on the farm, one month away. Would it be worth it then?

Not even close to worth it.

Bump it to at least $500k and maybe then it will be worth it, and only if I get really high-speed internet.

What a stupid thread. Why would ATOTers take a massive pay cut to farm?

Pretty much this.

I'd only take this option if I was some peon who doesn't post on ATOT.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
If that was my only options to make $100k/year I would. It takes a toll on your body doing that kind of work every day. I've never seen a true farmer that didn't look like he was run over by a truck. Not saying that physical labor isn't rewarding, but at a certain point, your body just isn't meant to take it.

tell that to your mom

SooperDave

Nov 18, 2009
If that was my only options to make $100k/year I would. It takes a toll on your body doing that kind of work every day. I've never seen a true farmer that didn't look like he was run over by a truck. Not saying that physical labor isn't rewarding, but at a certain point, your body just isn't meant to take it.

That's true in any outdoor work. I'm in construction and the old timers look like hell. The problem isn't the work, the problem is they don't take care of themselves. No sunblock, T shirts, no eye protection (dark shade), and most are hard drinkers. I've been working outdoors for almost 15 years (I'm 44) and aside from a little luggage under the eyes I'm ok, but I take care of myself. I am going a bit deaf. I should be using hearing protection.

Last edited:

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
That's true in any outdoor work. I'm in construction and the old timers look like hell. The problem isn't the work, the problem is they don't take care of themselves. No sunblock, T shirts, no eye protection (dark shade), and most are hard drinkers. I've been working outdoors for almost 15 years (I'm 44) and aside from a little luggage under the eyes I'm ok, but I take care of myself. I am going a bit deaf. I should be using hearing protection.

My family (on dad's side) is mennonite farmers, they certainly take care of themselves and don't drink. They're the carefullest people on the planet. They still look like they were run over by that truck - sorry, that horse & buggy, they don't use trucks. It's a hard life, though they like it that way.

I go back often for funerals and all the cousins my age look like they're 80 and at death's door.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I wouldn't work on the farm. I don't work for the money. I work for the challenge and love of the job. If I wanted the money I could always find a better paying IT job.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I don't know too many that make 100K. Big ones make it real hard on you and you're in debt up to eyeballs.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Would I have to buy my seeds from Monsanto?
Could I hire cheap labor and just " supervise " ?

Check

Nov 6, 2000
Just perception ... strategizing with mother nature with rain or no rain or when will it rain, putting the right crops in the ground based on market potentials/crop rotations .. when & what to sell. Modern agriculture is not for the brain dead.

I worked for the dept of agriculture for 4 years primarily with the blueberry industry, but with others as well.

It's fucking mindless work, you follow a formula.
Fields are in production every other year (unless you want to do two on, one off)
have a hive density of 2 hives/per acre for pollination (there are diminishing returns after that)
Once hives are out start spraying pesticides/herbicides/fungicides as needed based on field samples that are taken.
If it is a drought year, turn on the irrigation if the land has it, if not then don't.
Harvest when it is appropriate (the further east you go, the later the harvest is)
profit

Agriculture is like working an assembly line at a factory.

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
LOL to all those who think farms are only 100 acres. Both my parents and my wife's parents have farms with well over 2000+ acres. Some fields by themselves are over 100 acres. All that, and there have been years where there was no profit made, and these are not the "huge" corporate farms, maybe 3-4 employees total, including my/her parents. It is a rough business.

SooperDave

Nov 18, 2009

My family (on dad's side) is mennonite farmers, they certainly take care of themselves and don't drink. They're the carefullest people on the planet. They still look like they were run over by that truck - sorry, that horse & buggy, they don't use trucks. It's a hard life, though they like it that way.

I go back often for funerals and all the cousins my age look like they're 80 and at death's door.

I must not be working hard enough :D

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I have a friend who quit IT when dotcom went bust and became a chicken farmer. He said the work is more stable. After paying all the cost, he earns about $85k/yr, but only works 4-5 hrs a day. He spends lots of free time on internet/FB. Everything is very automated. Only thing is that you have to be there all the time to watch for issues since extreme temp changes can wipe out your flock and it's pretty out in the boonies.