how many of you dont work?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
All kids need to be booted after they finish high school.

Get a job and get an apartment
Join the military
Go to college and live in a dorm

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
All kids need to be booted after they finish high school.

Get a job and get an apartment
Join the military
Go to college and live in a dorm
You are my hero.

lowfatbaconboy

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
been working every summer since i was 15/16 and sometime during the school year when i was in HS
now that im in college i don't work during the school year

but i have a great respect for those who work their way through college its hella tough for some of my friends to work and do engineering at the same time and have any free time at all.....

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Live at home, university student, quit working last September to go back to concentrating on school full time. My somewhat considerable savings are tiding me over although I hate logging into my banking account online because it hurts to see my balance drop, drop, drop.

Living at home is irritating at best, but I will graduate without a cent of student debt. Hell that probably still isn't worth it but it's too late to bother with now. :p

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
I don't have a job atm, but right now I'm building three computers for family friends and getting $500 for it.

alpha366i

Jun 16, 2003
I am 18 and have no job, live at home, tution paid by the gvernmanet. And yes I am chinese. Asiasn parents rocks. They dont want me to move out cuz then they wont see me and miss me.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: alpha366i
I am 18 and have no job, live at home, tution paid by the gvernmanet. And yes I am chinese. Asiasn parents rocks. They dont want me to move out cuz then they wont see me and miss me.

asian parents arent the only ones who love their kids ;)

i dont see why people use the excuse that theyre in college? thats so stupid.

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
me. i don't work or go to school. graduated uni 12 months ago. did some temp jobs last summer, but got fired. i get $80 allowance per week now. studying computer networking self study

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
I worked during the summer, and now am living off that savings (plus my poker winnings, hehe) until the summer rolls around again. I don't need to make any additional money right now, so I'm just chilling.

Btw, I'm living at college right now, not at home, although luckily I'm not having to go into debt to pay for it.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: caitlion
Originally posted by: alpha366i

asian parents arent the only ones who love their kids ;)

i dont see why people use the excuse that theyre in college? thats so stupid.

Because they can. So are you saying if you had the opportunity to go to college, live comfortably, and not have to work you wouldn't?

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: caitlion
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Who wants to bet that the OP is "All of the above"? :D

- M4H

If I recall, caitlion had posted a thread about how to properly give two weeks notice at her current job so that she can persue a new one. I could be wrong though...

yes, and for the next two weeks i will be working both jobs. after that i will be full-time at compusa. i also go to high school and starting today i am taking one class at a community college. i dont mean this thread in an "im better than you" way... i just dont understand how people can use school or something as an excuse.

and yes i live with my mom, but i am only 17 and cant move out. if i could i would gladly do so. not that living at home is bad, but i cant wait to have my own place and my own stuff and.. yeah. i also buy most of my clothes and pay for my car, phone, etc.

You work at CompUSA? That's tight. I open you know your computer stuff! And if not, what are ATOTers for? hehe.

I should use you as an example. My roommate is spoiled like a mofo. He's about to hit 21 in February and has had jobs here and there but nothing long. I swear, sometimes, when I'm in the room with him, he's on the phone with his mom asking her to put money into his bank account. It's like $20 here or $40 here. I'm telling you caitlion, it's so lame sometimes. I would often say to him, "Dude, you need to fuvken as your mom money for food? That's just weak." His parents pay for everything. Let me start by naming a few.

His parents pay for:
-His car (Toyota Land Crusier 1976 which gets like 140 miles to the TANK...that's right...TANK)
-His gas (also super weak)
-His college tuition and his rent for the townhouse along with the utility bills. They just cut him a check.)
-His books for college (his name writes him a blank check for the books which in turn my roommate sells back to the bookstore at the end of the semester and POCKETS that cash)
-His fuvken cell phone
-His dad's company paid for his ATI Radeon 9700 Pro RETAIL
-80% of his computer

The list just goes on caitlion. Before winter break came along, I asked him what he was going to do. He said he was going on vacation and going to Lake Tahoe and whatnot. I then tell him why don't you get a fuvken job and quit leeching off your parents. He fires back telling me that it's winter break and I'm going to enjoy my vacation. I, in turn, fire back telling him "WITH what money?" He didn't say anything back. One time I had dinner with his parents along with him and we were all talking about school and break. I immediately lashed out and said "What you need to do is to get a job and quit bumming off your parents." His dad immediately took my hand and shooked it and said "thank you for clarifying this with my son." My roommate then had the nerve to say "I'm going to milk them as long as I can." If I was his dad, I would have immediately took that into offense. I live with two other roommates and one of them happens to be a friend from high school. He complains about the high electricity bill we get sometimes cause of my roommate which lives with me. Well..let me clarify. I have 3 other roommates. The spoiled one and the other roomate are pretty much losers. MY spoiled roommate doesnt do anything else but playing Jedi Knight II all day long when he's in school and listens to music. That is what he does ALL day. My other roommate plays videogames along with watching anime ALL day. So pretty much these guys stay home during school. That's it. Unless they have to go to class, they are there playing games or watching anime. My spoiled roommate complains to me and tells me tell my other roommate to quit complaining about the bill. I fire back telling my spoiled roommate that he doesn't go to mommy or daddy for a check for the utility bills. I also even said that maybe I should call his parents up and tell them NOT to pay for his utilities anymore and ask how would he feel. He didn't say anything. I do admit, my roommate is smart and priviledged to have attended a $10,000 private high school for four years (which cost more than SJSU), but everything is handed to him. But sometimes spoiled mofos can't realize the value of earning something. Me? I don't take sh!t from no one. I earn my keep and no one can ever take that feeling away from me. I work right now and I pay for everything I use.

I'm sorry but the man is about to turn 21 and still has to leech off his parents. So fuvken lame.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I have been working since my teenager years. I have a decent job with decent money and no debt. Live on my own and earned my BS and MBA by myself. No daddy and mommy money whatsoever.

If I win the Powerball this weekend then I will quit for sure :D

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Svnla
I have been working since my teenager years. I have a decent job with decent money and no debt. Live on my own and earned my BS and MBA by myself. No daddy and mommy money whatsoever.

If I win the Powerball this weekend then I will quit for sure :D

More power to you Svnla.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I really don't see why it's such a big deal to not have a job and also to live at home. I guess my situation is a little different. At 16 I learned how to spam on the internet and spammed about 55k of income in 1 year until my parents found out and didn't give me access to a computer. I didn't have a job but I had money. That doesn't mean I never had a job, I was a bag boy one year, worked at UPS another 3 monthes, had an internship doing web development for another 3 monthes and now I have a full time design engineer job. During school I'd ebay for money. Why is it such a bad thing to not have a job as long as you have money?

I also don't see why it's such a big deal living at home. Somoe people have financial problems, some people are doing it to get ahead. When I graduated I moved home because I didn't have a job. I mean, I owe a lot to my parents. Instead of having to work a dead end grocery store job just to live somewhere I had the opportunity to live with no obligations while I went through my job search. I mean, what's the difference between a bum on the street and me? I was given the opportunity to go to college, my parents support me in all that I do. There's not that much difference between the homeless man on the street and a new college grad. The difference is most college grads can move home instead of having to make it on some minimum wage job.

My plan originally was to get a job after I got out of school, live at home for a couple years and build up a huge base of cash not having to pay rent and then start off w/ a house paid off. I could then use HELOCs to do creative real estate investments. Well, the housing situation around here and the fact that I worked 45 miles away from my parent's place ended up f*cking that plan up so I ended up buying a house way earlier than I would have. Besides, if I kept driving 2 hours a day I woulda been licenseless:( With the money I was spending on tickets and gas I could have rented a place. Hell, the only reason why I had a downpayment was because my dad daytraded my money and made me enough to get a place. The one thing I miss is having good home cooked meals all the time instead of eating TV dinners :(

Yeah, you can make a case for being independent and all but a lot of how well off you are depends on the opportunities you are given that other people don't have. There's nothing wrong with living at home in order to gain an advantage or if you're in school. Let's see, go in debt to live alone or live with parents and be debt free? If your parents are fine with it there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Sorry about the rant..just my opinion.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I'm unemployed, I live with my parents, they feed me and provide shelter, I pay for everything else I want/need from savings. Currently looking for a job, but I have quite a bit of savings so I can afford to be picky for now :D Oh... and my dad pays the cable internet bill as long as I let him use my computer.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
I just graduated in December. I still live at home and am finishing an internship. Once I find a real job, I am out of the house.

Yes, I could find work I've been doing during college pretty easily, but I'm done doing that, so I'm looking for something more serious and challenging.

Wait... your in HS. Nevermind, I won't bother finishing this post. Silly HS kids.

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
I really don't see why it's such a big deal to not have a job and also to live at home. I guess my situation is a little different. At 16 I learned how to spam on the internet and spammed about 55k of income in 1 year until my parents found out and didn't give me access to a computer. I didn't have a job but I had money. That doesn't mean I never had a job, I was a bag boy one year, worked at UPS another 3 monthes, had an internship doing web development for another 3 monthes and now I have a full time design engineer job. During school I'd ebay for money. Why is it such a bad thing to not have a job as long as you have money?

I also don't see why it's such a big deal living at home. Somoe people have financial problems, some people are doing it to get ahead. When I graduated I moved home because I didn't have a job. I mean, I owe a lot to my parents. Instead of having to work a dead end grocery store job just to live somewhere I had the opportunity to live with no obligations while I went through my job search. I mean, what's the difference between a bum on the street and me? I was given the opportunity to go to college, my parents support me in all that I do. There's not that much difference between the homeless man on the street and a new college grad. The difference is most college grads can move home instead of having to make it on some minimum wage job.

My plan originally was to get a job after I got out of school, live at home for a couple years and build up a huge base of cash not having to pay rent and then start off w/ a house paid off. I could then use HELOCs to do creative real estate investments. Well, the housing situation around here and the fact that I worked 45 miles away from my parent's place ended up f*cking that plan up so I ended up buying a house way earlier than I would have. Besides, if I kept driving 2 hours a day I woulda been licenseless:( With the money I was spending on tickets and gas I could have rented a place. Hell, the only reason why I had a downpayment was because my dad daytraded my money and made me enough to get a place. The one thing I miss is having good home cooked meals all the time instead of eating TV dinners :(

Yeah, you can make a case for being independent and all but a lot of how well off you are depends on the opportunities you are given that other people don't have. There's nothing wrong with living at home in order to gain an advantage or if you're in school. Let's see, go in debt to live alone or live with parents and be debt free? If your parents are fine with it there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Sorry about the rant..just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with living with your parents. It's the little sh!t that annoys me. I.E. gas, food, personal stuff...computer equipment....etc...I think the only think you should only be able to get is to just live at home. Everything else you gotta provide yourself.

LiquidChill3d

Jan 16, 2004
Hello folks Noob here,
This is probably not the thread to 'jump into these forums' but I had too! I have worked in the past but have been pretty lucky to be in my mid-thirties and not have to work now. Yes much of it is due to my father who busted his Arse to achieve the things he did, and everyone in my family is fortunate and blessed(although sometimes cursed). Many of you will flame me I'm sure, but this is the way my father wanted things for us, and we are very grateful. I do odd stuff like bartend occasionally, buy and sell loose gemstones(diamonds,rubies,emeralds, etc.), but I don't have to get up and go to work and I enjoy sleeping in. Maybe when I settle down things will change, but for now so be it....and no I moved out of my parents home when I was eighteen.
LiquidChill3d