How many of you can sing? I mean really SING?

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
Just wondering. I think I can sing, but I'm too damn shy to do it around most people in case I screw up :) I can sing "The Star Spangled Banner" like no other, and I like to show it off after a few beers. All my friends say stuff like, "Man, you should have been at the Indy 500" or stuff like that. I also like to sing Creed's songs. I really wish I had a voice like Richard Marx though. I'd spend all my time writing lyrics. I also have this habit of singing while I drive...constantly...since it's when nobody else is around :) Though I bet those people in the car next to me think I'm a fool :)

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
I really respect peoples musical talents because when it comes to singing I am a complete zero. I am not tone deaf but I just have very weak vocal cords it seems :)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
tmj -- I like to think I can sing. When I was a professional musician, I sang lead and background harmonies. I guess I wasn't too far off, because we got paid for our gigs. Two weeks after the release of the first Crosby, Stills &amp; Nash album, my band was singing the Suite Judy Blue Eyes live on stage. :)

I still jam with friends, and on a good day, we can knock down harmonies from Eagles to Steely Dan and get away with it for anyone who happens to be an audience. What a rush! :D

If you think you can sing, one secret is confidence. If you don't believe you can do it, you never will convince anyone else you can.

Here's a singer's exercise:

1. Stand up straight, and put the palm of one hand flat against your abdomen.

2. Inhale deeply, and let your hand feel the movement of your gut.

Most people's gut goes in, and thier chest and shoulders expand. That is incorrect breathing for singing.

Next, try to inhale while concentrating on making your gut expand, instead of going in. When you can do that, try speaking. You may suprise yourself with how much more power and resonance your voice will have.

This is called diaphramatic breathing. As you walk around during the day, practice it as you happen to think of it. When it becomes your natural way of breathing, you will have a very important tool as a singer.

Of course, none of this will work if you don't have a voice, or you can't carry a tune, so the part about believing in yourself is just as important.

Singing is a gas. Singing harmonies gets me high beyond belief. Enjoy! :)

chipbgt -- Your vocal chords are muscles. They won't get stronger without exercise.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I can sing, I just don't like to do it in front of people. But get me alone in my house, and watch out, I become a combination of Shania Twain and Aretha Franklin. ;)

Chucky

Oct 11, 1999
Well, not like the Pro though but yes I can sing. I did that few times for friends wedding.

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
I used to sing in an operatic choir and let me tell you something...I get more pleasure singing in the shower :) The soap really doesn't care if you hit a flat note. Don't get me wrong...it was fun in its own way. But when you're told you have to sing, and practice and stand straight and &quot;always smile&quot;, it makes a relaxing and fun hobby seem like a chore.

Oh, and ignore the stares from the other drivers: they just wish they could find something as entertaining to do in gridlock :)

Topher

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Never had singing lessons, but I can apparently sing. Been in University and semi-pro choirs for the last decade or so. Currently singing in the Sydney Conservatorium Chamber Choir. (Back in my days at PennState, I even directed a choir). I keep watching for openings in the chorus of Opera Australia. Maybe if I'm lucky. :)

Wingnut

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
I sound like a seasoned pro singing to MP3's that are too loud for me to hear myself! :p

Actually, my instruments are drums and auxiliary percussion...you've probably seen me sitting on a kid's shelf clapping two cymbals together and going &quot;eeek eeek&quot; !

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Hzl_Eyed_Grl is supposed to be a good singer if I remember well.

It has been said that Prince posts in OT once in a while, but we all know he can't sing. ;)

They Asked About You (Reba McEntire)