Question How many of you already knew this?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Learn what ? A little comment would go a long way. If you are talking about how to apply TIM, we have all discussed it until we are blue in the face.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Would like to see this on a TR chip. When I did mine, I used the X pattern with 4 dots in each of the sections which hopefully spread out enough.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
as if anyone can apply pressure evenly when putting on a big chunk of metal on the cpu. Specially when you need to tilt it to hook the latch.

Reactions: killster1

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
so, which one is supposed to be the best option?
It depends on the CPU (the size of the heatspreader). With Intel CPUs, the paste will pretty much cover the whole thing regardless of which method you use.

However, a larger heatspreader like the Ryzen CPUs, I've found that the only way to ensure complete coverage is by spreading a very thin layer on the whole thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
I've always used the thinnest coat across the entire heatspreader method so I guess I'm ok. I may try the X method when I build my 9440x box when my mobo gets here.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
It depends on the CPU (the size of the heatspreader). With Intel CPUs, the paste will pretty much cover the whole thing regardless of which method you use.

However, a larger heatspreader like the Ryzen CPUs, I've found that the only way to ensure complete coverage is by spreading a very thin layer on the whole thing.
On top of that. It's important to for Ryzen 3k to pay attention to the pea approach. If the was Ryzen 3k that he was testing the circle didn't cover what would be the first CCD and may not have covered the second CCD.

I did a 3 pea approach on my 3900x big pea in the center and smaller ones over the ccd. It's more important that there is good coverage where the dies meet the spreader. Though full coverage would be preferred. Seeing this I'll probably watch out for and opportunity to repaste my CPU and certainly every CPU from now on gets the X approach (sorry too lazy to spread).

Reactions: Elfear

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
"Back in my day, we applied the thinnest layer across the entire surface we could with a razor blade, and if not that, a credit card ... and it just worked, decade after decade."