How many lower graphics settings for a competitive edge?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is primarily for FPS that I can think of. I used to enjoy my games at the highest settings for a little bit then turn 'em way down so I had less graphical distractions in between my vision and getting kills.

But the games are getting so pretty now that it feels like a damn shame to do so. What do y'all do?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Back when I player Operation Flashpoint competitively I kept the options turned up, even playing UT etc I kept them turned up. That hasn't changed, I would rather play the game as intended than attempt to gain an advantage by playing an ugly piece of crap. Back in the Delta Force days you could eliminate some bushes by turning down the settings which to me is cheating.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't think it's like before, I mean if you can maintain good FPS then you just need to learn the game and maps. Back in the day there was an advantage in Quake 3 by turning everything down to low and vsync off for 100 fps. You moved faster and could kill people quicker. These days there's no real advantage to me besides the motion being smoother. Unless you're playing a stuttering mess anyway. Plus like mentioned, the games today look great compared to what we had before. Turning things to low doesn't necessarily allow you to see better or remove foliage that I know of.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
depends on the game, but if the game engine is shity and it runs smoother yes i will set it to min settings to gain advantage. LiF i definitely dumb down the gfx to eq1 settings...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't think it's like before, I mean if you can maintain good FPS then you just need to learn the game and maps. Back in the day there was an advantage in Quake 3 by turning everything down to low and vsync off for 100 fps. You moved faster and could kill people quicker. These days there's no real advantage to me besides the motion being smoother. Unless you're playing a stuttering mess anyway. Plus like mentioned, the games today look great compared to what we had before. Turning things to low doesn't necessarily allow you to see better or remove foliage that I know of.

I should have mentioned that lowering settings to increase FPS is not what I meant.

But yes you can reduce settings in some games and that eliminates some graphical elements such as bushes and leaf density that can distract you. In BF1 I have just started experimenting with some settings and one allows this glimmer on the water that is quite sparkly and distracting but oh so pretty but turning it off could remove a potential distraction for example.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I've done it, mostly when I was running 3 monitors and graphics cards weren't at the point at what they are now.

Typically now I run medium graphics when playing online to get decent framerates. I've never really been a run anything at ultra settings type person, I prefer to run at higher resolutions without having all of the bells and whistles turned on. Advantage wise I think medium settings is a decent compromise.

I once posted on reddit about running low settings in warthunder and struck a nerve with someone about how I was what was wrong with the community. Like just because I have a good graphics card I should handicap myself and have a disadvantage to someone on a laptop or similarly powered system. If there is that big of an issue the developers should fix the game.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Back in the Q3A/Q2 days I turned everything off for FPS, but now I give a crap I prefer IQ.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Only if it improves my frame rates. Since I got the GTX 980 that hasnt been an issue, much.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I will say that playing multiplayer FPS in 1440p just didn't work for me. At a distance everything is way too small even on a 28" screen. I went back to 1080p for that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I will say that playing multiplayer FPS in 1440p just didn't work for me. At a distance everything is way too small even on a 28" screen. I went back to 1080p for that.

Really?
Cuz I've got a 27 inch monitor and I think everything looks fine. Though I can understand going down to 1080 if it works for you.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I more or less balance between visuals and good FPS, lowering graphics settings as low as possible just to be able to see targets is a crutch. People did this in SWTOR for pvp zones and I've seen videos of the difference from low to high settings and it was night and day. Same in PUBG until certain settings were locked down.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Some games like the original DayZ (when it was still an Arma 2 mod) you would have a much more difficult time locating people with graphics turned up. If you had grass turned up, people would be completely invisible five feet away from you. You could go further (if you were a douchebag) and modify some files to remove the draw distance for the trees which would let you see players pretty much anywhere.