How many here are still gaming on a Single Core?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia
I use a dual core. I think WoW was patched to utilize dual cores a couple months ago. But I still don't see a difference. I'm also on PCI-e instead of those old school AGP.

Supposedly it does as there was recently a thread on it in the WoW general forum. Someone said it only affects things like hardware audio.

EDIT:

But I can say that I've never seen WoW use more than 25% on my quad-core.

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
Single-core Athlon 64 (3200+) along with a PCI-e GF6600GT here. I can run Crysis on lowest settings at 1024x768 fine; same goes for CoD4 and Bioshock. An upgrade isn't worth it I think, other than buying a whole new rig.. I'd love to have a new rig: experiencing all the excitement that accompanies the process of buying parts after an extensive research, and then building it. But I also really want a Macbook Air... can't decide what I want/need more.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
AMD 3500+ here with a relatively new HD2600Pro. I'm not a heavy gamer, but this thing can run two simultaneous EVE clients in windowed mode, provided I don't turn on the shiny new Trinity graphics. I may soon retire this thing, however.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
I am, but want to upgrade.

I currently have an AMD 64 4000+ (2.4Ghz), by upgrading I get plenty. Core 2 processors have higher IPC, and some can hit near 4 Ghz with overclocking, which is a huge boost alone, not to mention the fact it would have two/four cores instead of one. I'm less concerned with the multiple cores for srictly gaming than the speed boost. Of course, in the future, having multiple cores will likely help a lot more for gaming as well.

Plus, I definately want to upgrade my 7900GT.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
P4 3.6Ghz | 2GB RAM | 8800 GT 512 PCI-E | 74GB Raptor x2

I'd like to start building a new rig but don't have a compelling reason to do so.
I mostly play COD4 and HL2DM and run smooth at 1280x1024 with enough candy turned on to make it sweet.

Probably build something new later in the year.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I don't see what single core has to do with AGP. There are still tons of single core chips floating around that are pretty good. My last box was PCI-E and single core...

I'm running dual core now, but I didn't really notice a big difference when I switched (6 months ago). I'm sure I'd probably notice if I went back to single core.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: invidia
I use a dual core. I think WoW was patched to utilize dual cores a couple months ago. But I still don't see a difference. I'm also on PCI-e instead of those old school AGP.

i see a real difference

But then your GPU has to "match" your processor ... when i ran a x850xt a P4 EE @ 3.74 Ghz was sufficient for the games i played at 8x11/9x12.

When i upgraded to x1950p/512MB, the P4 was definitely "holding it back" at my new resolution of 14x9. Upgrading to C2D eliminated that 'bottleneck'. When i got a 2900xt, i needed to OC my Processor to about 2.8Ghz to take full advantage of a fast card and then could game all DX9 games at 16x10 full maxed out but 0xAA/16xAF .

.. OC'ing my processor further - to 3.25Ghz allows me to take full advantage of CrossFire and i can now play Hellgate: London in Full DX10 - ultra-extreme shaders/settings - all in-game settings fully maxed AND with 4xAA/16xAF

my next upgrade will be to QuadCore when more games like Crysis take better advantage of it

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I don't see what single core has to do with AGP. There are still tons of single core chips floating around that are pretty good. My last box was PCI-E and single core...

I'm running dual core now, but I didn't really notice a big difference when I switched (6 months ago). I'm sure I'd probably notice if I went back to single core.

While I can't prove any direct correlation, I imagine that most people who still use Single core rigs, have also held off on upgrading to PCI-E since they'd most likely do a full overhaul to multi core and PCI-E. However, there are exceptions such as yourself.

My motherboard is 754, so Im limited to Single core and there were only a few 754 PCI-E boards, mine is not one. However, If I recall correctly, most people with 939 boards upgraded to X2s. and most 939 boards were also PCI-E. This of course doesn't take Intel into consideration.

GZDynastar

Jan 29, 2003
I'm still on my p4 2.4 800FSB. 6800GT AGP and 2gb DDR400 RAM.

And it flies. Granted Im not playing crysis or anything, but I play CoH, CSS, TF2, GW... all sorts of games with no problems.