How many here are still gaming on a Single Core?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shadow Conception

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2006
I'm on a single core socket 478 P4 3.0GHz, but with a PCI-e video card. Unusual combination, but it serves well for most games.

Obviously my CPU's a major bottleneck if I ever look to upgrade, but whatever.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: coloumb
My son's computer is still single core with AGP graphics. Good enough to run Guild Wars and surf the net... :)

My parents are just fine using a Athlon XP 2400 and 9800pro. They don't game, but I think that still qualifies as a minimum requirements rig for today's games.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SonicIce
What games so far take advantage of it?

Like some others said, there's a difference between supporting multiple cores vs. being optimized for multiple cores. Most games today (released in the last year or so) support multiple cores by simply splitting CPU load amongst your cores. Scaling is pretty linear and would match the same CPU utilization with less cores (ie 2 cores @ 25% = 1 core @ 50% or 4 cores @20% = 1 core @ 80%). This is different from being optimized for multiple cores where multiple threads are specifically coded to take advantage of additional cores (1 core @ 80% vs. 4 cores @ 40%).

What I've noticed however is multiple cores can have a big impact if any core is pegged at 100%. This is obvious enough with a single core, as that core is being pushed to the limit. Being able to offload any additional processing to a second core results in a nice performance boost. This can range from being completely choppy/unplayable to reducing/eliminating slowdowns or increasing FPS. There's also a similar, yet less noticeable benefit if one core is pegged at 100% on a dual core system. In many games, if one core may be pegged at 100% and the other is say 60%, you can balance that load out by alt-tabbing, going to Task Manager and finding the game process. Choose Set Affinity and all cores should be selected. Just confirm or check uncheck a core, then go back into the game. You should see load balance between the cores so instead of 100/60, you'll see 80/80. Seems to cut down on slowdowns for me. This seems more like a Windows CPU management issue rather than a game issue, and probably occurs for games that aren't specifically programmed to take advantage of multiple CPUs.

The other area I've seen a nice boost with multiple cores is if you're running other programs/games/software. FRAPs in Vista is extremely CPU intensive when recording to the point it would often peg my C2D (80-100% on a single core @ 3.1GHz). This would result in both cores being pegged at 100% in some games (Witcher, Crysis, WiC etc) and make the game nearly unplayable. The most recent FRAPs patch cuts down on CPU use a lot while recording, but its still pretty significant. Moving to a Quad Core and spreading that load across 1-4 cores improved performance significantly for me while recording in FRAPs. Other benefits would be running multiple game instances simultaneously, which is great for MMOs or even something like Diablo 2 (Power Leveling or self-muling etc). Similarly, running multiple games, like an MMO or RPG with an FPS or RTS where you don't want to log out in one but just want a change of pace. And of course there's those who want to do other things with their PCs while gaming like encode/decode/download/dist computing etc.

Overall I'd say there's not much advantage to 4 cores if you're only running a single game, but there definitely is with running a dual core vs. single core. There's very few single apps/games that push my Quad over 50% (PowerDVD while decoding VC-1/MPEG4 can at times), which is very close to 100% on a same-clocked Dual core. There are games I've played that would've pegged a single core easily before getting to any background processes eating up CPU cycles. If given the choice (stock or OC'd) you're probably still better off going with a faster clocked Dual Core than a slower Quad Core if everything else is the same (FSB, L2 cache, memory speed/timings, GPU clocks etc). If you like to multi-task, record with FRAPs, or run multiple games/instances simultaneously, then more cores certainly won't be wasted.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My main box is dual core, however, I still play some games on my amd64 3000+ socket 754 box with a 9700pro.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Yeah, A643800+ with an X1900XT that is apparently dying, or wounded, despite the fact it's less than 3 yrs old. Still i'm going to hold on for a while, though the CPU is definitely old and slow now. I noticed it most in SupCom but no doubt i'd see improvements in many other games. That said though, the games i'm playing most right now (Civ4 and DawnofWar) all run superbly (except for the above mentioned issue).

If things stay this way i'll be going Intel for the first time when I upgrade. Hopefully i'll be getting another 1-2yrs out of this system, but yeah.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Even these days dual core advantages aren't huge. There's a few games that seem to make pretty solid use of the extra processors (I think bioshock does, IIRC from the benchmarks I saw)

That said, you can buy a drop in 939 dual core for like $50-60 now. And the price differential between a new single core and a new dual core processor in a new machine is what...$20-30? Back when the cheapest dually was $300 it made sense to blow all that cash on a faster video card to give up the barely existent gains of multiple processors in games...these days, there are enough games that make at least some use of the second processor and the price is way less. For the amount of money, I'd say its a worthwhile upgrade for about everyone that plans to sit pretty for a little while longer.

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
I'm playing on a Dell 9300 laptop... 2ghz proc, 2gb memory, gf 6800 go, 7200 rpm hard drive.

I only play WoW, though, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll eventually replace it with a new PCI-e dual/quad core system.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I game on quad-core, baby!

Also, the jump to dual-core wasn't necessarily because I expected games to take advantage of it. No, that was silly. When they started becoming mainstream, nothing took advantage of them game-wise, but the real benefit is the fact that my gaming PC is my main PC so it doesn't just play games. Things running in the background weren't forced to perform a core switch constantly interrupting my game (note that core switches are natural and can still occur on your game regardless of core settings... typically the OS management should ensure that things are balanced, but even then that might include switching out the game).

I also play two WoW's at once, so yeah... that'd be a tad bit taxing on a single core processor.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
I'm still running the System in my Sig with no issues on anything I've been playing.

I actually have an FX55 and a new MB (same) laying around that I'll be putting together if I ever decide to replace my current video card.
I've been looking since the 8800GTX came out, and was really expecting an 8900 "refresh" to 65nm like what happened to the 7800 series.
Obviously it never happened so now I'm waiting to see if the 9xxx is going to be worthwhile.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I'm still using a 3500+. I'd like to upgrade but this computer still has some legs on it and I just can't justify upgrading for gaming only.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Also, the jump to dual-core wasn't necessarily because I expected games to take advantage of it. No, that was silly. When they started becoming mainstream, nothing took advantage of them game-wise, but the real benefit is the fact that my gaming PC is my main PC so it doesn't just play games. Things running in the background weren't forced to perform a core switch constantly interrupting my game (note that core switches are natural and can still occur on your game regardless of core settings... typically the OS management should ensure that things are balanced, but even then that might include switching out the game).

That depends on what other stuff you have running. I have always had the bare minimum of background processes in Windows and never saw any improvement in games going from an Opteron 146 to 165 at one point (they were both clocked at similar speeds). I have been getting "dual core performance" all along. :D

The single vs. dual debate is less relevant today in any case, since all of the fastest processors with single-threaded performance (the Core 2s) also happen to be dual core.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I'm still using an axp2400, ~896 ram with an agp 6600gt at home. Most of my gaming is done on a dual-core albeit core 2 t2500, and 2 gig ram but it's a laptop with 1300x in it so they end up running about the same for the Orange box at least.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I made the jump from a Venice core 3000+ @ 2.55ghz to an Opteron 165 that I run at 2.55ghz. I didn't really notice a huge gaming difference, but I was probably mostly limited by my 7900GS at the time. But, I have to say I like how my PC reacts overall due to going dual core. I know the OP was in regards to gaming specifically, but even though most games out now probably don't get a huge benefit I think multi core optimization will start to become more mainstream in the near future. It's not a night and day difference, but overall the PC seems more responsive to me. When I exit a game I can immediately click on things, as soon as my desktop shows up I can open things, no waiting for the system tray item to load, etc.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is weird to say this. But I have been gaming on dual cores since Nov of 06. Wow, that went fast!

Anyways I know a few people who still use single core. It works for them, no need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. But looking at the steam survey it is clear dual core is penetrating the gaming market rather quickly. I think about this time last year it was around 15% of gamers. Now it is 35%.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's not a night and day difference, but overall the PC seems more responsive to me. When I exit a game I can immediately click on things, as soon as my desktop shows up I can open things, no waiting for the system tray item to load, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I think you get a bigger benefit here by optimizing Windows settings appropriately than doing anything on the hardware side. All of the animations (with menus, windows, etc.) should be disabled and several of the processes that run on Windows by default are unnecessary, as are most of the things that various third-party programs and drivers install. I find even my four year old laptop to feel more "snappy" and responsive than many other people's (modern) computers I've seen, because of how I have set up these things.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ and 7900 GT here, it's perfectly fine for the casual gaming I do on it and I can't be bothered with Crysis or UT3 right now, will probably upgrade in 2 years.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Yep, still on my aging machine. My tax refunds are going towards an upgrade.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DarkRipper
I'm playing on a Dell 9300 laptop... 2ghz proc, 2gb memory, gf 6800 go, 7200 rpm hard drive.

I only play WoW, though, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll eventually replace it with a new PCI-e dual/quad core system.

That's what I've been using since August. 14-29FPS in CoD4 @ 1440x900. HL2 ran quite nicely on it, though.
My Gateway FX should arrive between tomorrow and Friday :)

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Atrhlon 64 3200+ and an X800GTO 256 meg card. Right now it is fine a and very, very stable and able play the games I want -- for right now.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My third main PC is an AMD 64 4000+ with an ATI X1950XTX and plays everything recent just fine.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Im still on a P-M 1.86 with an X700 (notebook). Works fine for what I play, COH and TF2. Not really that many games out there that interest me atm so prob not gonna upgrade anytime soon, Crysis does look interesting though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670
That depends on what other stuff you have running. I have always had the bare minimum of background processes in Windows and never saw any improvement in games going from an Opteron 146 to 165 at one point (they were both clocked at similar speeds). I have been getting "dual core performance" all along. :D

The single vs. dual debate is less relevant today in any case, since all of the fastest processors with single-threaded performance (the Core 2s) also happen to be dual core.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that it's my main computer where as I know people who have the bare minimum installed and nothing else running on their PC... but said PC is also their gaming PC. I also love it for non-gaming stuff.... I remember back when I'd do something processor intensive and my PC would be worthless for the duration. Now I can do it and just keep going along.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Well, I do a lot of other stuff on my PC too, just not at the same time as games (apart from leaving basic things open like Firefox, IM, etc.). I still don't need to have a load of background processes running.

Although I do see where you're coming from. It's nice to be able to fire up a game if your computer is doing something else that is going to take a long time.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I use a dual core. I think WoW was patched to utilize dual cores a couple months ago. But I still don't see a difference. I'm also on PCI-e instead of those old school AGP.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
My 3700+ still seems to be doing fine. Few games fully use a 2nd core now anyway. Getting an 8800GT made a much bigger difference than a processor upgrade would have in my case.

I also have a 3700+ and it seems good enough for now. I have a nVidia7950 (512mb) and I've also been thinking about upgrading that to a 8800GT or something else.