How many channels can I record at once?

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
I am thinking of going over the air Dish keeps losing local channels off and on and hte price is kinda more than i want to play for TV.

I am aware that you can get a tv card for the computer or at least you use to be able to.
If I got 3 of the would I be able to record 6 shows at once?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cablecard or OTA? Ceton makes/made (?) a 6 tuner cablecard box, so yes. You may need to use something like tunersalad or the ceton utility to change the default limit of four tuners in WMC.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I have 1 cable card and a Ceton Infinitv 6. I can record 6 shows at once. Ive I had two cable cards and two Infinitvs I could record 12 :)

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Three HDhomerun dual/connect/extend + tunersalad = 6 tuners

I use four without issues. Never tried for six. Drive speed may be an issue since recording six HD channels at once might be a strain on a slower drive. If you experience any issues, try a faster drive.

I forgot that Haupauge just came out with their new "Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD" with four tuners. It's still new, so drivers and support may be worse than the tried and true hdhomerun stuff. I'm also extremely fond of the network-style tuners because they remove heat from the PC and they allow much more flexibility in tuner placement and actual usage around the house.

Last edited: