How many Americans deaths will Trump be directly responsible for due to COVID-45

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How many American will die due COVID-19 due to Trumps incompetence/indiference?

• 1,000,000+

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 13, 2009
California making the case again why the liberals can't run a state. People are leaving in droves, taxes and cost of living are astronomical, first state to get major spread of foreign disease, rampant drug use and homelessness.

What a shit hole. Also please quit coming to Texas. Thanks.

Reactions: sao123 and pcgeek11

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%

AGE in 2016% OF VOTECLINTONTRUMP
18-29195536
30-44255141
45-64404452
65 & over164552

Elections have consequences.
Buttigieg now has a path to the nomination. I wouldn’t celebrate the mortality rate given the age demographics of the candidate pool.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If there are deaths, none of them will be due to Trump's incompetence/indiference because Trump will say they weren't his fault, lay all of the blame on others, and his base will believe his every word.

There will be deaths but I have issues with the title as it really makes no sense. The death tolls will likely be similar to that when Obama was President because the virus doesn't belong to any party, but it might be. No one on this planet can give an answer to the question as asked. Instead we're speculating on fatalities which has nothing to do with Trump. I agree with what you say but that's really like everything else regarding Trump and his base.

I'll ask this question of others. Name your favorite politician and based on scientific grounds give the difference in deaths between him or her and Trump.

My answer is still tree fiddy.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
California making the case again why the liberals can't run a state. People are leaving in droves, taxes and cost of living are astronomical, first state to get major spread of foreign disease, rampant drug use and homelessness.

Remember folks this guy would totally vote for a Democrat if they just shared his ‘values’.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
For all the Monday morning quarterbacks, what would you do differently to stop a 100-year pandemic of a virus for which carriers are asymptomatic and there is a two week incubation period?

I'd have started back in the GWB era when I read about a program which W supported for fighting malaria, and posted about during Obama's first term.

To cut to the chase, it would involve providing legal protections for the research and development into diseases and medications which would be paid from public funds and released for production under strict licensing with draconian penalties designed to ruin violators for shens. We wouldn't need them anyway. Hire the best minds, pay them well and have patent and legal nonsense changed at least as far as medicine goes.

Well George was up for a limited version of this, and it could be done for infectious diseases however no party or mainstream politician would dare cross pharma in a real and significant way.

Well we're a stupid species anyway so we get what we deserve.

But what we should have been doing is having a WELL funded mechanism developed by the CDC and others to deal with these scenarios. We may need to treat and quarantine tens of thousands perhaps against their will, so legal protections from termination and being financially ruined etc.

There is the disease and the consequences of it which needs to be addressed to minimize health AND consequences. Having a nation of bankrupt people to to this disease? Not good.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
maybe be more conserned with shaping the response and not shaping the message like this admin tends to do?
How does that change the outcome? Even competently run nations are unable to quarantine this thing. China, an authoritarian nation that has taken drastic measures, was unable to quarantine this thing.

Commerce spread the black plague. Commerce is spreading coronavirus.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
How does that change the outcome? Even competently run nations are unable to quarantine this thing. China, an authoritarian nation that has taken drastic measures, was unable to quarantine this thing.

Commerce spread the black plague. Commerce is spreading coronavirus.
they're afraid that when this spreads it'll make trump look bad, not that people are dying from it.

Just look at trumps response to stories about it spreading, he's trying to pin it on others and will not take responsibility for it, it always some elses fault.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Buttigieg now has a path to the nomination. I wouldn’t celebrate the mortality rate given the age demographics of the candidate pool.

That did occur to me - there's a lot of old folk who now really need the protection and top-knotch health care that being President would bring! The stakes just got higher!

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That did occur to me - there's a lot of old folk who now really need the protection and top-knotch health care that being President would bring! The stakes just got higher!

This is like the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects to have to deal with it and no one was prepared. Too late? That remains to be seen, at least with mitigation.

Hypothetical- 1k individuals are diagnosed in the next month or so. What do you do with them? Put them in a hospital where they will infect compromised patients along with staff?

How does any nation safely treat potentially hundreds of thousands in a pandemic? What if those infected decide that being a Typhoid Mary shouldn't keep them from work and other people?

So instead of a "but Trump" or Obama, someone come up with a plan that mitigates. In all seriousness washing hands and taking ordinary sanitary measures is about the most effective means we have to slow the rate of infection.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This is like the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects to have to deal with it and no one was prepared. Too late? That remains to be seen, at least with mitigation.

Hypothetical- 1k individuals are diagnosed in the next month or so. What do you do with them? Put them in a hospital where they will infect compromised patients along with staff?

How does any nation safely treat potentially hundreds of thousands in a pandemic? What if those infected decide that being a Typhoid Mary shouldn't keep them from work and other people?

So instead of a "but Trump" or Obama, someone come up with a plan that mitigates. In all seriousness washing hands and taking ordinary sanitary measures is about the most effective means we have to slow the rate of infection.

Not sure how that relates to my post (which was, for the record, a weak joke about so many of the candidates being in the most vulnerable age-group). But on the wider topic, I still feel that the biggest danger is health-care systems being overwhelmed by the sheer demand coronavirus may place on them. Seems that Italy is already having problems in that respect.

The US system would presumably struggle in a very different way to tax-funded or nation-state-run systems, but I don't see it performing all that well.

This is one of those topics where I find myself getting alternately irritated with 'both sides', at least when I hear radio phone-ins.

It seems to me there's a kind of machismo involved on both the 'survivalist, apocalypse-craving, love-the-drama' (usually right-wing) side, and also the 'I am so much more rational than everyone else, everyone-else-is-hysterical, it's no worse than flu' side.

As with so many of these issues where both sides can annoy me, the problem is there's just a huge lack of data. Nobody really knows as much as they pretend to. I am pretty sure that problems always begat more problems, though, and this will cause both economic and political harm.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Not sure how that relates to my post (which was, for the record, a weak joke about so many of the candidates being in the most vulnerable age-group). But on the wider topic, I still feel that the biggest danger is health-care systems being overwhelmed by the sheer demand coronavirus may place on them. Seems that Italy is already having problems in that respect.

The US system would presumably struggle in a very different way to tax-funded or nation-state-run systems, but I don't see it performing all that well.

This is one of those topics where I find myself getting alternately irritated with 'both sides', at least when I hear radio phone-ins.

It seems to me there's a kind of machismo involved on both the 'survivalist, apocalypse-craving, love-the-drama' (usually right-wing) side, and also the 'I am so much more rational than everyone else, everyone-else-is-hysterical, it's no worse than flu' side.

As with so many of these issues where both sides can annoy me, the problem is there's just a huge lack of data. Nobody really knows as much as they pretend to. I am pretty sure that problems always begat more problems, though, and this will cause both economic and political harm.

The first part was a joke. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition from Monty Python = No one expected (well not enough) that a virus like this would emerge and likely be a very serious issue.

That said your mentioning the elderly triggered the stream of thought

Elderly->increased hospitalization->others at risk (that's why their in hospital)->health care workers exposed becoming ill and infecting others->spreading like Typhoid Mary-> and that's without the branches coming off of each and feeding back. An unfortunate quality of metacognition in a public forum.

"No side" IMO is more relevant because there simply is no satisfactory system that exists that can cope with this.

You mention rationality and there's little to be had. Some members of the public have it but there is no rational or irrational approach that will suffice to make this an insignificant thing, nor is it the Black Death. It is what it is and what that is remains to be seen in a full and scientific context.

My personal view is that I'll likely contract this per the CDC and what happens is out of anyone's hands, but it is possible to anticipate needs and the second and third degree complications. Not everything, but a good many.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The sad thing is Trump was actually doing things right up until the virus entered our country. He suspended commercial flights to China and instituted mandatory quarantine—great. I’d say Trump/his administration earned the current criticism for 6 major things:

- Dismantling the Obama-era pandemic response executive branch infrastructure that was built in response to Ebola (obviously done way before Covid 19 but Trump must own his decisions)
- Cutting funding for the CDC and HHS in 2020/2021 budgets (had to ask for $2.5 billion back after Coronavirus.)
- Allowing State to overrule CDC and allow infected Americans from Diamond Princess to return on the same plane as those not infected.
- Sending the wrong HHS team to deal with quarantined Americans, without any infectious disease training or gear (likely leading to community spread in California)
- Putting up Mike Pence as a Coronavirus pseudo-czar—a man who’s literally responsible for allowing an AIDS epidemic to spread.
- Allowing Pence and his team to overrule CDC and HHS officials on comms and messaging (actively undermining the flow of vital information)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Oh, but we won't quit coming to Texas, Arizona, Idaho, North Carolina, Georgia, etc. Your congresscritters should have thought of it before voting to take away our SALT deduction. Say hello to your new neighbors.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
For all the Monday morning quarterbacks, what would you do differently to stop a 100-year pandemic of a virus for which carriers are asymptomatic and there is a two week incubation period?
At least encourage people to get tested and provide free testing, treatment, and paid medical leave for quarantine. The government should be paying for all of it. Also, stop suing to end Obamacare and make tens of millions uninsured again in the middle of a pandemic. Is that too much to ask? Who wants to get tested and diagnosed with coronavirus if insurers will be able to deny you insurance based on that next year?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

You do know that the states with the worst education and poverty levels (not to mention discrimination against women and minorities) are largely dominated by conservatives, right? Not to diminish some of California's real problems, but this makes "pot calling the kettle black" an understatement.

Sorry, but we're gonna keep coming to Texas and possibly turn it blue... and if that happens and Republicans still haven't joined the 21st century, you're gonna be out of luck. Oh, and you might not want to get too attached to your oil fields.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You do know that the states with the worst education and poverty levels (not to mention discrimination against women and minorities) are largely dominated by conservatives, right? Not to diminish some of California's real problems, but this makes "pot calling the kettle black" an understatement.

Sorry, but we're gonna keep coming to Texas and possibly turn it blue... and if that happens and Republicans still haven't joined the 21st century, you're gonna be out of luck. Oh, and you might not want to get too attached to your oil fields.
Careful, you might fuck his feels without his consent.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
maybe be more conserned with shaping the response and not shaping the message like this admin tends to do?
What response? What specific actions can be taken to control the spread of the virus? Quarantine is the only option, and it appears we've missed that boat.
We do this with the flu every year.