How many Americans deaths will Trump be directly responsible for due to COVID-45

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How many American will die due COVID-19 due to Trumps incompetence/indiference?

• 1,000,000+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Continue the full $600/wk UI boost automatically until unemployment is below 10% in a given state. $400 until under 7.5%. $250 until under 5%. Prop up state funds to continue their own benefits longer.
What is the probability of the Senate doing such a thing?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Lots of dire predictions about where we are headed next by the experts. Looks like Trump will need a miracle to have this be better than what's going on now by Nov. 2.
There will almost certainly be a miracle vaccine announced about a week before the election. One that is 100% effective for 25 years and paid for by China probably. It'll be aaaaalllllllmost ready, probably 400 million doses by December (and none for non-Americans of course).

Seriously,Trump and team is both savvy enough to try it and horrible enough to claim it's on the way even if it's unsafe or nonexistent. If it gets him elected he'll be in the clear, the last four years have shown that clearly enough.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I'm hoping the GOP will at least allow a reduced UI boost, such as $400 instead of $600. I'm not holding my breath, but everyone in this country is in for a world of pain if the unemployed are not taken care of.

Also, the shit is going to be hitting the fan very soon regarding daily deaths. While Congress works on the next stimulus bill next week, I'm fairly certain US deaths will easily soar above 1,000/day. You can't add 60,000 new cases every day and expect deaths to continue their downward trajectory.

Florida just reported a record 156 deaths today, along with 14,000 new cases. The writing is on the wall.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There will almost certainly be a miracle vaccine announced about a week before the election. One that is 100% effective for 25 years and paid for by China probably. It'll be aaaaalllllllmost ready, probably 400 million doses by December (and none for non-Americans of course).

Seriously,Trump and team is both savvy enough to try it and horrible enough to claim it's on the way even if it's unsafe or nonexistent. If it gets him elected he'll be in the clear, the last four years have shown that clearly enough.

Trump can say lots of things, trouble is only about 30% of the country believes him anymore.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump can say lots of things, trouble is only about 30% of the country believes him anymore.

There it is. Everybody is sick of listening to his deranged shit. Shit, shit, shit & more shit. The only way to turn it off is to run him out of the White House. Then we won't have to pay attention anymore.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
In a massive public crisis, generally speaking, is the perfect opportunity for leaders to improve their popularity. Leadership that is strong and decisive, as well as measured and compassionate, can do wonders for a leader’s public support. Hell, just appearing basically competent and mouthing some fairly basic platitudes is often enough to lift a leader in the eyes of many people. Look at the growing public support for people like George W. Bush and Rudy Giuliani after 9/11.

Trump and other Republican leaders have simply wasted a massive opportunity to hang onto moderate and independent voters. A good response to this crisis could have helped them considerably. The ONE MAIN problem is that Trump’s base is more interested in owning the libs than in any sort of political competence, so a measured and compassionate approach— even if it were possible for him — would have lost him votes among the culture war faithful.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Trump Republican Office holders are so into the blame culture and how to avoid blame they have simply forgotten about the objective. They only care about Coronavirus in relation to its effect on the economy at all costs, their take is that if the economy is working then they will get re-elected. It’s consistent with authoritarianism. The “truth” comes from the people who have the power, not science.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Continue the full $600/wk UI boost automatically until unemployment is below 10% in a given state. $400 until under 7.5%. $250 until under 5%. Prop up state funds to continue their own benefits longer.
I thought I saw somewhere that Mitch McConnell was dead set against continuing the flat $600 but was open to continuing "up to $600" so long as the total count from unemployment didn't exceed prior wages.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
New Quinnipiac poll:

Americans who trust Fauci on COVID: 65%
Americans who trust the CDC on COVID: 61%
Americans who trust Trump on COVID: 30%

Meaning that at least a quarter of those who "approve" of Trump's job performance don't trust him...
One really has to wonder just how fucking stupid the 30% that trust tRump really are.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I thought I saw somewhere that Mitch McConnell was dead set against continuing the flat $600 but was open to continuing "up to $600" so long as the total count from unemployment didn't exceed prior wages.

I'm curious how he'd propose to means test that quickly given that the current boost lapses in less than two weeks. I know Republicans are furious that some low income people might come out better in general with the UI boost to the degree they think it's conspiring to keep people out of the red hot jobs market lol.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I'm curious how he'd propose to means test that quickly given that the current boost lapses in less than two weeks. I know Republicans are furious that some low income people might come out better in general with the UI boost to the degree they think it's conspiring to keep people out of the red hot jobs market lol.

That is such bullshit when people say, “Now they won’t go back to work because they make more not working!” Maybe we should be saying this instead, “How sad is it that when State and a Federal unemployment benefits are paid that is more than most make actually working.” I find it repulsive that we have a very wealthy nation like the US, but cannot have a living wage that can pay the rent in most metropolitan areas. What is the point of this economy to just enrich the few. Oh, seems I hit the Republicon’s philosophy bullseye.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This shit is out of control, for the simple reason a shit stain is steering the ship. I'm sticking with my 1,000,000 choice on the number of dead directly due to tRumps stunning incompetence.

Then there are other stunningly stupid republicans, that are killing people. The governor of GA, who has banned the power of cities in GA to mandate face masks. What fucking world does he live in?

I have now seen estimates of up to 800,000 deaths by the end of the year based on the course we are current on.

"That’s still not the worst-case scenario for a truly uncontained outbreak, in which serious measures are not taken. For months, most public-health officials have argued that the infection-fatality rate—the number of people who die from all infections, detected and undetected, symptomatic and asymptomatic—was somewhere between 0.5 and 1 percent. The CDC’s latest estimates in its planning scenarios range from 0.5 to 0.8 percent. Take that lower number and imagine that roughly 40 percent of the country becomes infected. That’s 800,000 lives lost. " https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/second-coronavirus-death-surge/614122/

As my grandson is a firefighter/EMT, we listen to a scanner frequently. Just heard a first responder call to a residence, 3 patients all with breathing difficulties, a 9 year old, a 19 year old, and a 66 year old. Probably the 5th or 6th call in the last couple of hours where the dispatcher says to use COVID procedures based on symptoms or likely exposure questions.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That is such bullshit when people say, “Now they won’t go back to work because they make more not working!” Maybe we should be saying this instead, “How sad is it that when State and a Federal unemployment benefits are paid that is more than most make actually working.” I find it repulsive that we have a very wealthy nation like the US, but cannot have a living wage that can pay the rent in most metropolitan areas. What is the point of this economy to just enrich the few. Oh, seems I hit the Republicon’s philosophy bullseye.

That this period of time will, for a while at least, realign the expectations of many citizens seems inevitable. Biden isn't FDR but policy wise he's definitely drifting in that direction as the people are going to demand.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well the poll is in only about 30% want schools to reopen with full time in class teaching.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I suspect they either don't have kids, or they are sick and tired of the selfish little monsters they have reared being home 24/7.

This one is tough. Real tough. And there's no winning any way we look at it.
I've got a 12 year old and an 8 year old.
My wife works 7x10 hour days straight and then has 7 days off.
My office shut down and now I'm full time telework.

My 12 year old can probably manage a full year of tele-school.
But the 8 year old, no way. 8 year olds should not be on a chromebook for 6+ hours a day.
I have my own work to do on weeks my wife works and I can't be there all day to make sure he is on task.
Some of the most hostile times in my house were over the weeks he had to do remote learning. No one was happy.

A parent can only be some many things at once. I can't be Dad, friend, teacher, cook, and an employee working my own 40 hour a week job and be good at any of them. It's just too much to ask.

There's no good answer here. This straight up sucks as we are staring down the barrel of another at least half year of remote learning.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
There's no good answer here. This straight up sucks as we are staring down the barrel of another at least half year of remote learning.
No arguement, a tough position to be in. You also have to consider the kids that will not be going home to younger parents, but to grandparents who are many times more vunerable to the virus than you might be. What about the teachers in their 50's and 60's that don't want the ICU or the morgue to be their retirement plan either.

Of course to day the twat that spews crap in the name of the twatwaggon, stated today... "Kayleigh: The President has said unmistakably he wants schools to open up... When he says open, he means open in full... the science should not stand in the way of this.. "