How long without playing a game do you decide to sell it?

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
So I've got quite a few games just sitting around. Most of which I haven't played for months.

Yet I hate to get rid of them because who knows I might decide to play them again one day? At least I always think this then never do.

So how long do you normally keep a game you aren't playing before you send it one it's way?

J

Oct 19, 1999
I usually beat the game and sell it if it doesn't have good multiplayer options.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Depends. If it was a really good game, even if it's single player only, and I can't get much money for it (less than $15), I usually keep it. I often go back a year or two down the line and replay it, if it was good enough.

You know, even if it's a mediocre single player game, I still tend to hold onto it because I can rarely get much money for it. In a lot of cases, we're talking $5 or less. What's the point in that case?

I of course keep games with good multiplayer.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I don't sell them, I always end up regretting it and wanting to play the game, I lent my cousin my Doom3 discs and since I don't see him often I haven't had a chance to get them back, now I have to copy over my Doom3 install from 2004 everytime I get a new computer or reinstall the system, same thing happen with Vice City (PC) but I got that back too.

Now I'm thinking of the PS2 games I've sold or given away like Red Faction, Dynasty Warriors 3 and Jak & Daxter 1 and I'm kinda wishing I had them to play them for old times sake so now I never ever give or sell any of my games.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I don't sell mine either, the return s so crappy its not worth it imo. NTM if you keep the games some go up to ridiculous prices. For example, I bought Tales of Destiny used for ps1 for 14.99, and sold it for 90$ on ebay years later. I bought Valkryie Profile the day it came out, and now good condition copies are 100$ or more (though Ill never sell it, its an amazing game). I had Dragon Force for Sega Saturn, sold it for 125$ on ebay. Even some DS games are already selling for more than retail because of small production runs (Tetris DS to name one).

Anyway, if I could only sell a game for like 10$ I wouldn't bother, I'd rather have it around unless I hated the game.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
i always keep my games, pretty much regardless. on rare occasion i'll fire up one of my old ones, even if at the time i didnt think much of it. never know, at some point the games might become very rare and hard to find.

for instance, i have 2 games that are old and difficult to find anymore, Beavis and butthead virtual stupidity and Do U for PC. both are hilarious adventure games that resemble the cartoon very well.
some of the old console games i wish i kept, like Legend of zelda, the original gold cart in good shape can be hard to find and i think people pay some modest bucks for it on ebay.
i even keep my consoles now but wish i had my old atari 2600 cause it sells pretty good on ebay. so now i have my dreamcast and segacd, hopeing one day i'll get what i paid for out of it maybe.

sometimes i buy a game that really sucks and i know i'll never play, those i have given away to friends cause their just not really worth anything, couple bucks on ebay maybe but not worth the hassle for me to bother.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I keep all my games. Not for any particular reason but someday they might come in handy. The only thing I've ever sold is my original playstation when I got my shiny new PS2.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have never sold a game. Even if I hate it. Still have my 2600 carts and ever console/pc game since. Most of it is in storage, but I never sell a game. I would sell Transformers for the 360 but no one would buy it. :)

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: JoPh
never.

I think I traded in a few GameBoy games to FunCoLand when I was a kid, and I know I sold a couple PS2 games to EB Games once, but otherwise I keep all of my games.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Cl1ckm3
i always keep my games, pretty much regardless. on rare occasion i'll fire up one of my old ones, even if at the time i didnt think much of it. never know, at some point the games might become very rare and hard to find.

for instance, i have 2 games that are old and difficult to find anymore, Beavis and butthead virtual stupidity and Do U for PC. both are hilarious adventure games that resemble the cartoon very well.
some of the old console games i wish i kept, like Legend of zelda, the original gold cart in good shape can be hard to find and i think people pay some modest bucks for it on ebay.
i even keep my consoles now but wish i had my old atari 2600 cause it sells pretty good on ebay. so now i have my dreamcast and segacd, hopeing one day i'll get what i paid for out of it maybe.

sometimes i buy a game that really sucks and i know i'll never play, those i have given away to friends cause their just not really worth anything, couple bucks on ebay maybe but not worth the hassle for me to bother.

Virtual Stupidity brings back memories.

I have trouble hanging onto games apparently. I think the only "old" games and a system I have is like an Intellivision and Hamburger Time.

I just got started on all this talk because everyone's talking about Assassin's Creed coming out for PC, and I'm just think, that game was such a stinker and I just have it lieing around and I haven't played it since Thanksgiving probably.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I regret selling my GameCube several years back. I didn't get much for it because at the time, new ones were selling for $100 with Double Dash included. Had I kept it, I would still have a couple of memory cards and several controllers for my Wii, along with a bunch of quality games. At least most of those things are still cheap and easy to find now... it would suck much worse if I had had, say, four Wavebirds and sold those.

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
I may play the game the same day I sell it. Usually after I have beated a game I will sell it if there is no multiplayer and I will buy a newer game. Every once in a while if I really dislike a game then I will sell it too. I don't have a waiting period where if I don't play a game for so many days then it must be sold. I'm not really a collector so I don't collect classic / cult hit games I usually sell old stuff and update with the latest stuff.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I very rarely trade in or sell my games. I tend to keep them around until they are so old that there is an emulator out there where I can easily play them on my PC. At that point, I throw them away or at least most of them to save space. It's tough getting rid of them though. :(

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Never sell.

The fact that the return is an absolute joke is reason enough, but they have some weird sentimental value to me.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I used to sell/trade in games, but quit. I've regretting trading in a lot of things, and the money I got for the games wasn't that great.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
I like collecting them for some reason. Having lots of those xbox360 cases look cool together

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I only sell really bad games.

I've kept about 90% of the games I've purchased.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
If it's an RPG that's great, I don't sell it. Those almost always appreciate nicely over time. (See: Chrono Trigger, FF7, etc.) I fully expect my copy of Rogue Galaxy to be worth much more than I paid for it in 10-15 years.

Otherwise, I generally sell or trade games as I finish them, unless there's a significant multiplayer component.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Never sold a game, but I have a few for the Wii I might sell, they were gifts. Duck Hunter and some fishing game, both horrible.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Most games I just keep unless its junk, and only would I sell them if I no longer owned the console.