How long will 990FX last ? Anything new coming ?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I have not really kept up with the hardware scene since 2012 or so when I upgraded to a FX 8120 and a 990FX board.
Is there any new sockets, cpus "steam roller/excavator" coming anytime soon or at all for that matter ?

Ive been on this platform for over two years now, and when I do upgrade, probably within 6 months to a year, should I stay with AMD or jump ship to Intel ?

I used to be strictly for AMD cpus and gpus, but recently went with EVGA so no problem with Intel either. Just want the best I can get for my money when the time comes.

So does AMD have anything new coming, within the next year or less ? I have searched, but found nothing concrete.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Nothing new. Its a dead platform.

AMDs new focus is on FMx socket with 2M/4T chips with IGP.

Unless you wish to downgrade, your next upgrade is Intel.

Rg9fKas.png

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Nobody knows if there is some life left in AM3+ (and don't take posters with known bias too seriously). There's no hope of a revolutionary upgrade, but there is still a chance of efficiency gains with a "piledriver+" type release.

In regards to future upgrades: Intel is still king of the fabs and general purpose IPC, so it would be a smart choice. I would suspect excavator to be an evolutionary step from steamroller but nothing groundbreaking. However, as with 64bit & "moar" cores, HSA chips will age much more gracefully.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I agree with rich that it's possible (even probable) that AMD will release some sort of slight revision to the current Piledriver chips on AM3+, but it won't be anything hugely different than the FX-8120 that you have.

AMD's high level FX series roadmap shows Pildriver throughout 2014. By 2015, they'll be releasing DDR4 chips, which means a new socket (AM4?).

shot.jpg